Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 04-19-2018, 04:39 PM

my foot, my knee bike fit help

I have a fit issue. I think my legs are different lengths. left longer then right. the outside of my left foot has a hot spot if I lower my seat. Back of right knee aches after ride but not during if I raise my seat. My cleats are setup equally on both shoes. I have cleat wedges in both shoes 3mm right 5mm on the left for forefoot varus. my cleats are in the right spot to my 1st and 5 metatarsel. I have had 3 bike fits 2 after a acl repair of my right knee. one for my mtb and gravel bike. WTH could be wrong with me??? and how do I fix it. THANKS- if you give advise please give reasoning behind it.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:20 PM

Remove the varus wedges for both feet and ride for a month to see if there's a change. Unless you had a problem that the wedge successfully addressed, they're not needed, and can be the cause of other pains.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:01 AM

I'd agree with removing the wedges, in my experience of bike fitters, wedges are often incorrect prescribed.

You may have a leg length discrepancy, probably functional rather than structural.

Your issues probably originate in your hips/pelvis. I would guess you're not sitting on your saddle squarely.

I'd look into "rotated pelvis" and "anterior pelvic tilt" on google to see if any of the symptoms sound familiar.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:00 AM

This might help

http://posturedirect.com/how-to-fix-a-rotated-pelvis/

http://posturedirect.com/lateral-pelvic-tilt/

http://posturedirect.com/fix-anterior-pelvic-tilt/
Old 04-20-2018, 02:29 PM

good feed back - i will go stare at my body and posture and report back.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfisk View Post
I have a fit issue. I think my legs are different lengths. left longer then right. the outside of my left foot has a hot spot if I lower my seat. Back of right knee aches after ride but not during if I raise my seat. My cleats are setup equally on both shoes. I have cleat wedges in both shoes 3mm right 5mm on the left for forefoot varus. my cleats are in the right spot to my 1st and 5 metatarsel. I have had 3 bike fits 2 after a acl repair of my right knee. one for my mtb and gravel bike. WTH could be wrong with me??? and how do I fix it. THANKS- if you give advise please give reasoning behind it.
Not cycling related, but some good information can be found here: http://lermagazine.com/cover_story/a...Q0dyN4.twitter
Old 05-12-2018, 11:38 PM
AZ Slowpoke

I have almost exactly this problem, my left leg is substantially longer than my right, 3/4". I used to get hot foot on the ball of my left foot, and right knee pain. If I missed the saddle height too low I had pain under the kneecap, too high and the pain was in the back of the knee.

Correct position on the bike in being centered on the saddle is vital and must be addressed first. I think a lot of the solution is going to depend upon where in the leg the length discrepancy occurs.

As far as I know, you'll still need an x-ray and a skilled tech to determine this. At a minimum this will determine the actual vs functional discrepancies. For me, most of the discrepancy is in the femur. It's interesting because is affects saddle fore-aft, saddle height, cleat position and wedges. It took some time to find the ideal postion on one bike. As I've added bikes I simply set the saddle relative to the BB and everything seems to work from one bike to the next. Suffice it to say, I'm super fussy about saddle position.

There are going to be compromises but you can find a way to ride comfortably for hours.

I started with saddle height and position by setting it to the longer leg. Then I inserted orthopedics and cleat spacers until I had both legs effectively the same in length. This still left me with only one knee in a good position over the pedal axle. I gradually adjusted the saddle position until I had a decent compromise. In the end, with a lot of fiddling, I have 1mm spacer on the left, 4 on the right and slightly different cleat positions but now I can ride all day with no issues. I'd think that your solutions are going to be unique to you based on your particular geometry. Keep meticulous notes as you make changes and you'll be able to narrow down the fix.