Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Wow. Just, wow. The bike industry is in trouble. Dealers are closing left and right. Local people are not supporting local dealers.
I rarely go to LBS for a couple of simple reasons:
1) Most in Boston area have sold themselves out to the Specialized/Trek duopoly and I'm a fan of neither. I like my bikes to be a tad unique.
2) Virtually all LBSs do not have the wrench skills to service my Campy bikes so do it myself.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
As a consumer, I don't understand what QBP is trying to do. There is so much overlap in the offerings from their brands that it seems like they're competing against themselves. It seems like it would be hard to establish and maintain brand loyalty when the same bike is offered under different labels.
"If you're going to compete, compete with yourself"

Most people don't know who or what a QBP is. Even less probably care.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth View Post
I rarely go to LBS for a couple of simple reasons:
1) Most in Boston area have sold themselves out to the Specialized/Trek duopoly and I'm a fan of neither. I like my bikes to be a tad unique.
2) Virtually all LBSs do not have the wrench skills to service my Campy bikes so do it myself.
Really? No LBS can service campy to your standards?? In Boston?? I figured that city would have a fantastic bike community/knowledge.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
im going
I went last year (first time) - Hartford, Conn. and had a blast.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
makes sense, and it makes even more sense to cancel a mega expensive show before it crashes and burns with no one showing up.

i suspect NAHBS will go the same way within 5 years max. Maybe return as a leaner, more intimate show similar to what philly has become.

the internet has changed everything, and the whole bicycle selling landscape is totally different than it was in the 90's.

back then, if you wanted to really see what was new with bikes, you went and checked out the LBS and the industry rags they had for sale there. today, i sit in front of my internet box and know way more than any LBS employee about what the new tech is that i want.

the other concept that is reasonably new is brand loyalty demands on LBS.

Trek or Spec stores, for example, pretty much only carry one or maybe two core brands, and all their branded accessories. why even go to interbike and see what all the competition has to offer if you're never going to stock it in your shop?

the bicycle business is definitely not in trouble, but it's changing fast. keep up or die.

I'm not sure why you are comparing Interbike to NAHBS. I attended one a couple of years ago and, unlike Interbike the event was open to the public, not just insiders. It was well attended I thought.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:43 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Johnnysmooth

There is a Campy Master Mechanic at Fast Splits in Needham if/when you need one

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I'm not sure why you are comparing Interbike to NAHBS. I attended one a couple of years ago and, unlike Interbike the event was open to the public, not just insiders. It was well attended I thought.
i was just opining that large, national trade shows that are expensive to get to and exhibit at are on the decline IMO. i realize they are two different types of shows, just putting some parallel predictions out there. i think smaller shows that pull in a more local community and are a little less expensive all around are the newer model.

i went last year in Hartford to NAHBS, it was OK, and nice to see some stuff, old friends and vendors, but honestly - i would not go again unless it was very close, i certainly would not travel far to attend another.

just my opinion as a casual observer of such things though !
Old 12-07-2018, 02:06 PM
cmg

having Americans at the TdF helps the announcers try to sell it to an American audience but having an American road racing presence there doesn't draw people to cycling. More people are drawn to cycling through local charity rides then any international event. kind of funny when a big pack moves through city streets on the weekend rides. What's an Interbike?
Old 12-07-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i was just opining that large, national trade shows that are expensive to get to and exhibit at are on the decline IMO. i realize they are two different types of shows, just putting some parallel predictions out there. i think smaller shows that pull in a more local community and are a little less expensive all around are the newer model.

i went last year in Hartford to NAHBS, it was OK, and nice to see some stuff, old friends and vendors, but honestly - i would not go again unless it was very close, i certainly would not travel far to attend another.

just my opinion as a casual observer of such things though !
This is one of a handful of reasons why NAHBS is a traveling show. The core exhibitors don't have 7 figure marketing budgets so most of them can't afford to travel to the show regardless of location. I hope NAHBS is around for many years to come in some form on another, it's by far my favorite show to do.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 12-07-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I agree. I feel like the industry is going more off-road. Mountain biking is becoming huge and if you look at RUSA membership and rando oriented marketing you can start to see the new industry direction
Ditto.

I barely touched my road bikes this year, but the Yeti was out 4-5 times a week at local haunts.

So many excellent choices here in Minnesota.

Rode the daylights out of my BMC Monstercross as well.

Greater Minnesota has gravel routes coming out of our ears, where the scariest things I encounter are F-150s, farm dogs and John Deere Farm implements.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Johnnysmooth

There is a Campy Master Mechanic at Fast Splits in Needham if/when you need one

BK

Woody’s Cyclery also does a big Campy business (30% of their pro builds). They also know a LOT about good vintage bikes. But yes, the big shops around here (and most of the small ones) suck at servicing Campy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
This is one of a handful of reasons why NAHBS is a traveling show. The core exhibitors don't have 7 figure marketing budgets so most of them can't afford to travel to the show regardless of location. I hope NAHBS is around for many years to come in some form on another, it's by far my favorite show to do.
Another advantage of NAHBS is that it appears to be both a B2B (business to business) and a B2C (business to consumer) show. It also appeals to present consumers' desires for authenticity and knowledge of how and where their products are made.

Interbike was always a traditional B2B trade show, which recently opened to consumers as the show began to decline. There is still demand for face to face interaction and being able to see and touch product first-hand. However Interbike, as a microcosm of the bike industry, did not adapt well to changes brought about by the internet.

And on top all of these issues, the industry is being affected by recently implemented tariffs with significant increases looming in 2019.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:19 PM
UN-Registered® User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
The need for the event died at least 10 years ago

No reason to go, no deals, no new gadgets

Ski industry is different, crazy discounts if you commit to purchases etc. I go to that show. Bike industry is going backwards, that's for sure. Margins are thin and getting thinner and Specialized/trek has been spending too much time at the wine bar with tech VCs and getting a little to cute with $ and commitments. Last man standing will be QBP, they're the only manufacturer/distributer that isn't one flat tire away from filing for bankruptcy. If a retailer isn't stupid and pays attention, they'll be fine. The places where they buy their stuff...it's gonna get rough
So right and to the point! This "trade show" model died a few years ago as soon as the Internet became what it is today.
As for QBP, read page 4: A home-based store owner responds to Rich Tauer's guest editorial.

http://read.dmtmag.com/i/1054799-dec...02fc9-28962105

That is just one of the problems in the industry now; distributors like QBP have to change their ways or they are next in line for financial problems...

Last edited by Avispa; 12-07-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
As a consumer, I don't understand what QBP is trying to do. There is so much overlap in the offerings from their brands that it seems like they're competing against themselves. It seems like it would be hard to establish and maintain brand loyalty when the same bike is offered under different labels.
They ARE trying to 'compete among themselves'..when a bike shop looks at QBP offerings, QBP doesn't want the shop and hence the customer, to look anywhere else..but pull down the QBP catelog each time(altho it's now all on line). Kinda like going into a Toyota dealer..they will make the customer think they have every car need covered, from econobox to little SUV to BIG SUV to little truck to big truck to pocket rocket to ...etc.....
Old 12-08-2018, 07:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avispa View Post
So right and to the point! This "trade show" model died a few years ago as soon as the Internet became what it is today.
As for QBP, read page 4: A home-based store owner responds to Rich Tauer's guest editorial.

http://read.dmtmag.com/i/1054799-dec...02fc9-28962105

That is just one of the problems in the industry now; distributors like QBP have to change their ways or they are next in line for financial problems...
Just happened to a friend of mine, cancelled his account because he was 'non traditional'...except Velonews still has an account as does some other manufacturers who sell stuff via QBP. This lack of recognition of those who actually support and try to further the sport is troubling. All the while they sell to places like PlanetCyelry who is a YUGE discounter..and I suspect owned somehow by QBP..same for a rather large MO outfit up close to the QBP mothership in Minnesota..

BUT QBP IS 'changing', and trying the european 'distributor selling to bikes shops and consumers' model, like Ribble, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if QBP formerly becomes a MO outfit..