Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 10:08 AM

Campagnolo not including rear brake housing ferrules in their cable sets?

Hey guys,

I have multiple campagnolo cable sets. I Most recently bought some shifters new. In all these cases, campagnolo hasn’t included the little silver rear break cable guides, but they’ve included brake wires and housing and all the small parts for the shifters, including barrel adjuster. Am I going crazy and losing them or something? What’s going on here? Is there an explanation? Help!

Last edited by ravdg316; 05-31-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:43 AM

Are you referencing the clamps that go around the top tube to hold a brake cable?
Old 05-31-2020, 10:48 AM

Brake housing ferrules.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:53 AM

I thought he was referring to the little rubber (?) donuts that keep the cable from touching/hitting against top tube?
Old 05-31-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Brake housing ferrules.
This. My bad. Jtbadge has been witness to this phenomenon as well
Old 05-31-2020, 11:11 AM

I assume it’s because their brakes and levers have not used ferrules for decades and they do not know what your frame requirements are. It appears they assume it will use a full cable run.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I assume it’s because their brakes and levers have not used ferrules for decades and they do not know what your frame requirements are. It appears they assume it will use a full cable run.
Modern externally routed frames all use them? Are we talking about the same thing?
Old 05-31-2020, 11:29 AM
Riding Along

The levers and callipers from Campagnolo do not use ferrules. This may be why. All the sets I have for 11 speed have a couple of ferrules...wonder when they stoped including them. They are needed for the stops on external cabled bikes.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
The levers and callipers from Campagnolo do not use ferrules. This may be why. All the sets I have for 11 speed have a couple of ferrules...wonder when they stoped including them. They are needed for the stops on external cabled bikes.
I think there was a time when they not only included the ferrules for externally routed brakes, but also even the old school ferrules for older frames that are narrower that pass through to to rear derailleur. Either way, very annoying as I know shimano includes these ferrules with their cable and housing sets.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravdg316 View Post
I think there was a time when they not only included the ferrules for externally routed brakes, but also even the old school ferrules for older frames that are narrower that pass through to to rear derailleur. Either way, very annoying as I know shimano includes these ferrules with their cable and housing sets.
The last 10spd sets I bought had everything needed for a traditional lugged steel frame.

My 12spd set looks to be complete for a road frame with normal (modern) external shift cables and internal rear brake. I’m putting it on a cross frame With external tt routing so my needs are totally off.

I get why they did it. Any combination will probably be wrong for many frames today. I just wish they had a ferrule kit that you could buy with extras.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:17 PM

Not including the step down ferrule for vintage frames is one thing. That's a sliver of the market. But not including these brake cable ferrules is a definite and annoying cost cutting move.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:47 PM

I thought it was far more annoying they quit including the cable end crimps. They don’t know what my frame needs for ferrules. They know I have to terminate 4 cables. Besides, their ends were the best. Way smaller than what I have found at most mainstream sources.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:50 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

The ferrule is essentially built into the lever body as well as the caliper adjuster the casing seats itself in.