Old 05-31-2020, 11:07 AM
cnighbor2

no paypal method to pay

no paypal method to pay
Old 05-31-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
no paypal method to pay
Correct. I think that’s to avoid PP fees.

I donated and decided on a 10% fee (“tip” is their language) which helps cover the costs of their site. I assume it’s a for-profit site but I think it’s worthy in many cases.

I used my own card number. I’ve not heard of security breaches with Go Fund Me.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:26 PM

The forum across the hall has an e-mail from Chris. Reading that, it appears much of what he had in the shop is just wet and will survive when dried out and cleaned up. Still, he may just stop his business depending on what the building owners do.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ale-54711.html

Tim
Old 05-31-2020, 01:55 PM

Erik Noren of Peacock Groove is also in that building, and IMO he would also deserve our support if he or someone asked. I haven’t seen him post recently on social media, however. I’m not aware of a crowdfunding deal for him.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:05 PM
ZhugeLiang

I received an email update from the organizer

Quote:
Your caring contributions have overwhelmed Chris. He would like to express his humble gratitude for the participation and kind comments.

For more than 35 years Chris and his wife have lived and worked in South Minneapolis where the rioting and violence has hit the hardest. The Third Precinct, the first police station burned, recovered his stolen bike last winter. Many businesses in the area are owned by his neighbors and he knows many personally. His losses will be covered by insurance, but the destruction here will take years and a lot of money to heal. He would like to donate your contributions to local organizations to help begin this long process.

Stay tuned for more updates.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:40 PM

Class act right there.

I can’t imagine trying to dry out machine tools, tubing, wet paint cans with the labels coming off..
Old 05-31-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
no paypal method to pay
Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Correct. I think that’s to avoid PP fees.

I donated and decided on a 10% fee (“tip” is their language) which helps cover the costs of their site. I assume it’s a for-profit site but I think it’s worthy in many cases.

I used my own card number. I’ve not heard of security breaches with Go Fund Me.
GoFundMe is definitely for-profit, and they make a lot of money, even without "tips". It is considered "PayPal for causes"; the "payment processing fees" are exactly the same as PayPal (2.9% + $0.30 per transaction), which are not insignificant. In these times, GFM is doing very well.

Right now, the Chris Kvale contributions total $8570.00, by 108 different donors.
GFM 2.9% fee = $8570.00 x 0.029 = $248.53
GFM transaction fees = $0.30 x 108 = $32.40
GFM total fees (on current $8570) = $280.93

Since their founding in 2010, GFM has processed over $9B from over 120 million donors; this company is a substantial profiteer.

None of these facts are meant as criticism of GFM, just elucidation. Personally I would rather/try to send people a check if I can, as I am not wealthy and so that my contribution goes 100% to those in even more need, but that is not always possible and regardless for many others immediate GFM convenience is worth their cut.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Erik Noren of Peacock Groove is also in that building, and IMO he would also deserve our support if he or someone asked. I haven’t seen him post recently on social media, however. I’m not aware of a crowdfunding deal for him.
+ 1.
Absolutely.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I saw a mention from a friend that Erik had moved out of the Ivy Building some months ago..... don't know where. Website not updated.

Also for those familiar with Minneapolis, Flanders Bros. Bike Shop over on Lyndale was also broken into and looted.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:12 PM

Anyone know if the Vincent Dominguez also listed in Ivy Arts is the framebuilder? A search yields some conflicting info, but there is one reference to him (and one other person) sharing space with Peacock Groove at some time. I saw Vincent’s early work about a decade ago in Ivy Arts and it was breathtaking.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:34 PM

A little late to the party, but I hope my donation will help all the same.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:45 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Folks following should be aware of this change.

Quote:
Your caring contributions have overwhelmed Chris. He would like to express his humble gratitude for the participation and kind comments.

For more than 35 years Chris and his wife have lived and worked in South Minneapolis where the rioting and violence has hit the hardest. The Third Precinct, the first police station burned, recovered his stolen bike last winter. Many businesses in the area are owned by his neighbors and he knows many personally. His losses will be covered by insurance, but the destruction here will take years and a lot of money to heal. He would like to donate your contributions to local organizations to help begin this long process.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:03 PM

Mr. Kvale is a class act. Donating the contributions to local organizations is very cool. If he resumes building, I will order a frame.

Last edited by edward12; 05-31-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward12 View Post
Mr. Kvale is a class act. Donating the contributions to local organizations is very cool. If he resumes building, I will order a frame.
I will endeavor to do the same. Having been to slow on Rolland (RIP) and TK, I don't want to make the same mistake thrice..
Old 05-31-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Seen on Velocipede:

Chris Kvale's bicycle framebuilding shop https://www.chriskvalecycles.com suffered major collateral damage as a result of the May 28th, 2020 riots in Minneapolis. Fire, smoke and water ruined much of his equipment. The entire (large) building that houses his shop is likely a complete loss.

$10, $20... anything would be deeply appreciated.

We all want Chris to keep building and repairing the frames we love, so if it feels appropriate to contribute a little something to this campaign, it would be great.

Of course, physical labor will also be welcome when a site is chosen for his new headquarters!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/framebuil...f+share-flow-1

Oh wow. How horrible. Thank you for posting this.