Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 12:42 PM

If I can get several years out of it, that'd be just fine.

All of my other bikes are 10 speed mechanical. Dinosaur tech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The problem with 11speed etap is it's no longer in production. I wouldn't put much money into abandoned technology.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
The problem with 11speed etap is it's no longer in production. I wouldn't put much money into abandoned technology.
This is not 100% accurate. While the full box sets are few and far between the availability of new parts is still pretty widespread. See this post from an actual reputable retailer from earlier this year:
https://glorycycles.com/ride-notes/s...discontinued-/

Also remember that while SRAM officially stopped selling 10 sp parts they continued to stock and manufacture them for many years for replacement and warranty purposes.

If someone gets a new set of sram etap right now they should be supported for a minimum of next 4 years or so.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:10 PM

Is Glory Cycles a good retailer?

Never ordered something from there before that I can recall.

They have regular 11 spd full kit for about $2.3k, and includes just about everything that today's modern "group" covers (shifters, derail's, crank, bb, brakes, chain).
Old 05-31-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

They have regular 11 spd full kit for about $2.3k, and includes just about everything that today's modern "group" covers (shifters, derail's, crank, bb, brakes, chain).
Glory Cycles is a mixed bag.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:30 PM

I just read a not so great review, sounds like you have similar experience.

I see that Velomine carries etap also, they're good (I've bought from them).

Am also working with an LBS to see what they can do to source it at a reasonable price, which is my preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Glory Cycles is a mixed bag.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I just read a not so great review, sounds like you have similar experience.

I see that Velomine carries etap also, they're good (I've bought from them).

Am also working with an LBS to see what they can do to source it at a reasonable price, which is my preference.
ETAP 11 is still around. Check eBay and Amazon as well. I’m hoarding a couple groups for the long haul. AXS gearing and proprietary-ness does not thrill me. ETap 11 has been amazing in my experience.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
This is not 100% accurate. While the full box sets are few and far between the availability of new parts is still pretty widespread. See this post from an actual reputable retailer from earlier this year:
https://glorycycles.com/ride-notes/s...discontinued-/

Also remember that while SRAM officially stopped selling 10 sp parts they continued to stock and manufacture them for many years for replacement and warranty purposes.

If someone gets a new set of sram etap right now they should be supported for a minimum of next 4 years or so.
Call me skeptical that parts could be had in a reasonable time at a reasonable price.

Glory cycles is not reputable, IMO. I ordered a LOOK 785 and waited a long time before giving up on the order. I did let them sell me a chorus 11 group for $1250. Not cheap, considering that a year later I bought chorus 12 for $1060.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:00 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:

I would stay far far far away. I had a terrible experience and I have not been the only one. I would not look at their site and assume everything is in stock because its not. I personally would NEVER buy at glory again but if you do I would call first and ask if it is indeed in stock.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Call me skeptical that parts could be had in a reasonable time at a reasonable price.

Glory cycles is not reputable, IMO. I ordered a LOOK 785 and waited a long time before giving up on the order. I did let them sell me a chorus 11 group for $1250. Not cheap, considering that a year later I bought chorus 12 for $1060.
Don’t know whether I’ve been lucky or not but I’ve never had a bad experience with Glory. Granted maybe they’re worse with parts that are harder to source, but the replacement bits and pieces I’ve gotten over the year we’re always delivered within a week or two, if not in Amazon Prime or Backcountry speeds.

But even without having to use Glory piecing together a full new 11s etap build is very easy and will most likely continue for a couple years. The profit is still there for SRAM to continue production, and will continue until widespread adoption of 12 speed, which won’t happen until the other big S puts out an Ultegra-level spec a year after their likely new 12s Dura Ace.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
With 1st Gen etap 11 spd, can you use either sram or Shimano cassettes?
Yes, and as has been mentioned..you can use a Campag 12s rear wheel with the 12s sram stuff...AND with a Campag rear wheel..Chorus 12s cogsets are a 'little' cheaper than sram 12s cogset(add the XDR driver as well)....
Quote:
With the Force AXS 3 piece kit priced way higher than an 8 piece Chorus 12 group, that won't happen.
PLUS no mechanical sram 12s anything..not everybody wants the etap ease of assembly..when they buy a built bike. Trying to 'force' the market, making the buyer's decisions for them...never been a fan of that.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 06-01-2020 at 06:53 AM.