Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 03:19 PM

OT: Employer slowing down cell phones/signal

My employer, like many, frowns on cell phone use at work. Some people are on them way too much, but others only when necessary. Cell phone speed has not been a problem, sometimes depending on where you're at in the building it can be hard to get a signal, but normally if there's a decent signal speed is good for streaming music or other stuff.
A few months ago, we noticed that one day everyone's phones seemed to be noticeably slower. It was an overnight change. Even when there's a good signal, some guys say it's like dial up speed all of a sudden.
I'm not an IT guy, so thought I'd ask is it possible to install something that doesn't mess with signal strength but can slow down a phone to the point where it's frustrating to use it? We can still call out in emergency's but even that is slowed down. No one's PC's or laptops seem to be affected, just phones and all at once.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:22 PM

That sounds like they'd be messing around with FCC regulated **** lol. ! No way a company would do that ?
Old 05-30-2020, 03:42 PM

I'm confused. Do you mean when the phone is connected to wifi?
Old 05-30-2020, 04:31 PM

The number of people connected to any in-building wifi will affect throughput.

Is it possible the employer had a wifi hotspot fail, or replaced an existing failed hotspot with an older, lower throughput model?

Assuming the employer does not provide wifi, then your company's users are connecting to the nearest cell site. All carriers are not necessarily on the same tower at the nearest site. Also, the nearest cell site's internet connection (not voice) could be malfunctioning.

Due to Covid-19 lockdowns, many people are stuck at home, including adults AND children. Home MOBILE data usage has increased tremendously, slowing down connections.

There is an article in the April 4-10th edition of The Economist magazine (Page 66) which explains this.

I'll reproduce one paragraph:

"A mobile-data connection runs as a radio signal from a phone to the local base-station. Thence it links up, via optical fibre or a microwave connection, with the network's core, which is connected to the wider internet. If too many people try to connect simultaneously to the same base station, that station will be overwhelmed, causing calls to drop, data-transfer speeds to slow and tempers to rise."

While it's illegal for anyone to jam cellphone signals, employers are not required to provide employees with reliable in-building cell coverage.

If the signal strength indicator on yours, and your coworkers' phones show adequate signal strength, then it's a data throughput issue.

I'd love to hear if you find the source and the solution.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:47 PM
Randomhead

if you are using employer supplied wifi, it's quite possible to throttle throughput. But it doesnt' sound like that's what you are doing so IDK.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:10 PM

Yeah, not quite sure if you’re using WiFi. We throttle our staff members personal devices, though. Which is funny because at full capacity we are always at ~20% of our bandwidth. Could easily let them have full speed...
Old 05-30-2020, 06:47 PM

Using data, not wifi. Only certain people get the wifi password, and rumor is that their wifi is monitored closely.
Could be just so many users it's getting overwhelmed, but something definitely changed early this year. Unfortunately I don't have any more info, just was curious.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:53 PM

Could be multitude of things, including a new firewall.

One should always assume whatever you're using on company wifi is monitored as well as blocked or throttled, including anything streaming (pandora, etc.).
Old 05-30-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Using data, not wifi. Only certain people get the wifi password, and rumor is that their wifi is monitored closely.
Could be just so many users it's getting overwhelmed, but something definitely changed early this year. Unfortunately I don't have any more info, just was curious.

Any construction nearby that could’ve interfered with your reception? Or even internal work like changes in wall/ceiling density? Very strange.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:00 AM

Actively interfering with cell signals is a federal crime, so assume they're not doing that.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:08 AM

Is it possible someone is streaming Hi-Def video (TV or streaming) via wi-fi to a TV or other screen?

Hi-Def video consumes a lot of bandwidth and in fact, as is mentioned in the article I refer to above, cell carriers have asked content providers to down-res their mobile streaming apps because of the increased usage.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:01 AM

That happened at my work too when the cell repeater on the roof died.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
One should always assume whatever you're using on company wifi is monitored as well as blocked or throttled, including anything streaming (pandora, etc.).
And company email, no matter where you are.

And potentially anything you do on a company-owned computer, on their time or yours (weekends, etc.)

Andy Grove was right. Sometimes you should be paranoid.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-31-2020, 09:40 AM

As a person who works in Information and Cyber Security, and often must deal with employees doing things on corporate networks (at work or remotely from home via a VPN or other remote connection) that they should not be doing, I share this advice:

- Assume EVERYTHING you do on a corporate network and/or computer is being monitored and may be a cause for you to be fired.
- You simply have no rights of privacy if you are using company owned assets on company property during the work day. Check your company's policies.
- You may have no rights of privacy if you use company assets (i.e. company issued laptop) for personal work even if you are at home on your own WiFi/Internet connection. The company may also own copyright to your creations. Again, check your company's policies.

Companies use internal cell phone repeaters to increase signal strength and/or you may use the company's WiFi connection for cell phone service. As such, companies may use Quality of Service (QOS) policies on their networks to decrease cell phone throughput.

People should make their own decisions but knowing what I know, this is what I do:
- When I receive or make a personal call, I ask my boss for permission, leave the building, and do not use company WiFi. This way it is clear that I am using personal time to make a personal call.
- During the work day, I only check personal email on my phone via my cell provider's network when I am outside the building on a break or lunch break.
- I only use the company computer at home for work and make sure I dial into a remote connection so that it is clear it is being used for work.
- I only use company email for company work.
- I only use my personal laptop at home and only for personal work.
- I only use my personal email for personal matters.
- I never attach personal devices to company networks (i.e. computers, phones, Apple Watch, etc.).

Simply, I NEVER allow work and personal devices as well as output to cross demarcation lines.

For the few times I have had no choice but to use a personal computer for work, I have an already created virtual machine on my laptop which is only used for work and keep the log files in case I ever need them. I also inform my boss that I am doing this and let him/her know when I am done so it is documented. I always offer to share the VM also so it is documented.

I don't even use the copy machine for personal copies or printing knowing that today most of them require a traceable pass-code to use and often the scans/prints are stored on an internal drive that is often backed up which means your copy/scans can be retrieved.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 06-01-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:06 AM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
That happened at my work too when the cell repeater on the roof died.
Same/similar