Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 02:34 PM

There's stupid...then there's this

Here in S Fla (where it gets really hot) the local Boca Raton government decided it would be a great idea to open parks,beaches and golf courses BUT turn off all the water to the fountains in those facilities.... including the miles long stretch of jogging/walking path along A1A..... Heatstroke and dehydration are problem enough - but now to turn off the public water?! I don't even know if that 's legal -water is an absolute human necessity - coronavirus "might" kill you - no water "will" kill you...I was fortunate that my LBS has water in the fridge or I would have been in trouble (for the record I carry 1 bottle of an electrolyte drink and refill with water on the way and rely on those fill stations)
Old 05-30-2020, 02:56 PM

These days I don’t count on resupply for long rides, so I use an extra large saddle bag or take the rando bike with the handlebar bag.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
These days I don’t count on resupply for long rides, so I use an extra large saddle bag or take the rando bike with the handlebar bag.
This is where I am too. I wouldn't trust any publicly available source of water. Bring your own, bring extra, make sure you can get yourself out of a jam.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:51 PM
Randomhead

I had given up on my hydration pack because I hate it so much. Just got a new bladder for it with a better lid, hopefully there will be fewer reasons to hate it now.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:02 PM

All parks around here in the South Bay have no water as well. I suppose this is part of the new normal and people needs to adapt as it kinda makes sense, to avoid risk of infection
Old 05-30-2020, 05:04 PM

They dont want anybody to get sick, just put a small kid to put his mouth in the spout and this kid is sick, you can have 100's of people sick in a matter of hours.

Here we have the same problem, the WOD trail has no water fountains open at all.

Government is not going to risk a situation, and it makes sense for me what the OP is saying. I do get is super hot but it is what it is, you have to understand why they are doing that, eventhought it sucks.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:12 PM

No, the Government is not required to give you water for free.
You should be thanking them for all the years those fountains were there prior to this.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:16 PM

Maybe the local code is different, but water access is not guaranteed in any law that I'm aware of. NRDC has done some research on the issue as well:

https://www.nrdc.org/onearth/water-human-right

And yes, in this day and age, I wouldn't expect public sources of water given the risk of spreading disease.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:19 PM

Fwiw, I wouldn't use it if it was on anyway. Even before coronavirus. I've seen how people (and animals) use those things and I think I'll pass.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:21 PM

Likewise to the above. Here in SoCal I’ve been suffering from the heat - I’m not from around here! I’ve been taking two 750ml bottles and two 500ml bottles in a bar bag. Call it overkill but there’s nowhere in the San Gabriel’s that I’m aware of to refill.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:18 PM

If they shut the water of at the beginning of the pandemic - I'd understand - they literally just shut them this week. I've been using it the entire time (and for years) . I don't know about other parts of the country but the public water here is absolutely safe. And as to my "right " to use it - my taxes pay for the treatment plant that pumps it and for the public park (and golf course) where the fountains are situated soooo... yes I think I have an absolute right to that water.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoz View Post
If they shut the water of at the beginning of the pandemic - I'd understand - they literally just shut them this week. I've been using it the entire time (and for years) . I don't know about other parts of the country but the public water here is absolutely safe. And as to my "right " to use it - my taxes pay for the treatment plant that pumps it and for the public park (and golf course) where the fountains are situated soooo... yes I think I have an absolute right to that water.
Third bottle is best fit in your middle jersey pocket. Sounds like you'll be needing it for awhile.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
yes I think I have an absolute right
L'etat c'est toi.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Public water as it leaves the treatment plant is almost always safe everywhere in the US, with some notable exceptions. At the point of distribution where you account for everything that happens to that water fountain, I'd be a little more skeptical.

The public health department should be shutting it down (your taxes fund them too, btw), and the fact that they should have done it 10 weeks ago doesn't mean they are incorrect to do so now.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:08 PM

Imagine having to ride with more than one water bottle