Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 07:18 AM

It was a great show to see with my son. And, i hope, a new beginning for space access here in this country. The presentation and camera angles... wow. Sticking the first stage landing... just mind blowing, at least to me.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:43 AM

Saw the liftoff yesterday. Docking is soonish (it's about 1240 UTC as I post this). You can watch on NASA TV:

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public
Old 05-31-2020, 12:01 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

OMG, totally LOVED it! Was riveted to the television screen. So awesome.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:12 PM
Too Few Miles

Oh yes!!!

One of the joys of living in Central Florida is watching the feed, then at t-15 seconds running at full speed into the back yard to see it.

Absolute beauty.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:30 PM

That is an awesome perk, Joel. Cool to hear that one does not get tired of it either.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

Ya can say what ya want about Elon Musk(yup, he's a weirdo)..BUT..he made it happen, so kudos to him and his team(and Government $$)...
Agreed. I found this very cool. Pretty sure it takes a weirdo to do all he's done. Elon Musk SpaceX

Also cool. They said it couldn't be done.

Last edited by mistermo; 05-31-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:41 PM

I would have been naive to expect otherwise, but it is remarkable how technological advances have made these flights look and feel just a bit more accessible and routine compared to previous manned flights. Cabins of previous crewed spacecraft were starkly functional; interiors of the Crew Dragon (and Boeing Starliner) more closely resemble the cabin of a commercial airliner. In the past, mission control was crammed with data consoles; controllers in Hawthorne for yesterday’s launch sat at tables with a small array of monitors, not unlike some of our offices. Astronauts used to travel with an entourage to the launch pad in an “astrovan”; yesterday’s trip to the launch pad was more like “Hey honey, Bob and I are taking the Tesla out to look at the the rocket. If the weather’s ok, we’ll probably fly to the space station. Be back in a few months.”

The video from the boosters and inside the spacecraft was remarkable. Recovery of the first stage boosters is amazing. The broadcast on NASA TV was very good until the politicians started talking.

All of this is very exciting, and it will be fun to see how this progresses.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:48 AM

I was so close I felt the thunder

I was visiting a friend in the area and we jumped in his 28' off shore fishing boat and went down the intercostal to a spot as close as we could get.
It was pretty awesome to see the things launch and feel the whole world shake and rumble as it reached into to outer limits.
The first try we were also there early and saw AF1 come in but we left the stinger at the house
Old 06-01-2020, 02:01 PM

It sounds exciting for everyone here so I hate to be the party pooper but since you asked, who watched it, I'll answer. Not me

I really have just about zero interest in it. Funny to becasue when I was studying geology I had considered going into planetary geology.

But in my humble opinion it's just another rocket. We've been there and done that many times. It is very cool however how that thing lands back down on it's feet. I'll give it that.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:15 PM

The rocket landing on that platform so precisely was incredible.

I was also interested (at the other gnat's-ass end of things from the rocket landing) that Doug Hurley, in some views, wears glasses.

I can't imagine that a person who needs glasses to see better could qualify to be a fighter jet test pilot and astronaut, so maybe they are only glasses (like "computer glasses") for use on the touch-screens and not for enhancing vision per se? It was just interesting to see him handling the glasses, even fumbling around with them the day they scrubbed the first launch. Hopefully he has a good lanyard for them up there!

Good luck to those two, when they return.