Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Yea, what's the worst that could happen?

Wait...I've got a photo...
DON'T go there!
Old 05-27-2020, 02:21 PM

I've been cutting my own hair for years, but I have curly hair that's thinning on top, so it will look terrible no matter how much I pay for a haircut. Might as well do it myself.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:26 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Got mine yesterday - first one through the door at 7:00 AM

What a mood lifter!!!

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
WOW! All of y'all have had pretty good luck I see with all this. Better than I was expecting, frankly. So, a couple of questions:

I'm confused about the various terminologies: I think of i) blades, and ii) guards (or the comb attachment that fits over the blade). The Oster 76 clipper that I'm considering comes with both #000 (0.5 mm cut length) and #1 (2.4 mm cut) which are WAY too short for me. If I used say the #1 blade, apparently I can use a #5 guard/comb to get an overall 5/8" cut length. Alternatively, I can use a #3-3/4 blade for a 1/2" cut with no guard/comb.

In your case, you're using a #3 guard (3/8" cut) and a #8 guard in the back (1" cut). Sound about right? What kind of blade do you use?

What is this? You have a clipper with separate attachment on the side?

Thanks all. Maybe I'll drop the dough and give it a whirl....
Just right and left side specific guards that facilitate tapering around the ear.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Got mine yesterday - first one through the door at 7:00 AM

What a mood lifter!!!

BK
Geez - No one even open around here yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
Just right and left side specific guards that facilitate tapering around the ear.
Hmmm. Have not seen those at all. I'll look into it. Just when I think I have something figured out, there are all these complications, like left-right specific guards, and now there is figuring out the 'fade'....

I may be in over (or would that be 'under') my head....
Old 05-27-2020, 03:36 PM

Just let it grow. Last thing anyone needs coming out of quarantine is looking like they spent 6 months taking a machete to their head.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:53 PM

After my wife lopped way more hair than necessary earlier during the quarantine, I decided to try using the trimmer by myself yesterday. Wasn't bad. A few small spots need touching up but it wasn't that hard.

I always laughed at the Flobee but I will say, this is AWESOME. Yes, there's still lots of hair that scatters, but the internal "vacuum" catches a LOT of hair. And one thing we learned early on is that the adapter lengths #1, #2 etc do NOT match up what most barbers use haha. (I'm usually #1, but #1 on the Remington is REALLY short)

Old 05-27-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
After my wife lopped way more hair than necessary earlier during the quarantine, I decided to try using the trimmer by myself yesterday. Wasn't bad. A few small spots need touching up but it wasn't that hard.

I always laughed at the Flobee but I will say, this is AWESOME. Yes, there's still lots of hair that scatters, but the internal "vacuum" catches a LOT of hair. And one thing we learned early on is that the adapter lengths #1, #2 etc do NOT match up what most barbers use haha. (I'm usually #1, but #1 on the Remington is REALLY short)
I've got a list with the correct guard lengths! The #1 guard length on the Oster is 1/8" (3mm). That's way short for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Just let it grow. Last thing anyone needs coming out of quarantine is looking like they spent 6 months taking a machete to their head.
For me right now, it's six of one and half-a-dozen of the other! I've also got a bit of a torn rotator cuff right now, so it's probably going to be more like a dull machete!

Last edited by OtayBW; 05-27-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:40 PM

I started cutting my own hair when, oddly enough, the barbers at the Navy base I was stationed at wouldn't cut it as short as I wanted.

I have the $20 Wahl clippers with the variety of plastic guards. I start with 6 (5 if I'm feeling spicy), do my whole head with that and then work my way down the scale all the way to the 1 for the sideburns. Probably saved myself a $1000 over the years.

If I'd have done it when I was single, would have saved even more money not having to go on dates!
Old 05-27-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I started cutting my own hair when, oddly enough, the barbers at the Navy base I was stationed at wouldn't cut it as short as I wanted.

I have the $20 Wahl clippers with the variety of plastic guards. I start with 6 (5 if I'm feeling spicy), do my whole head with that and then work my way down the scale all the way to the 1 for the sideburns. Probably saved myself a $1000 over the years.

If I'd have done it when I was single, would have saved even more money not having to go on dates!
Well, it must've worked out for you because you're no longer single.....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 05:26 PM

My kids are telling me I need a cut. Apparently the beard is gross too. I know the greyface ages me by five years. I know I lack a lot of things, but one of them isn’t the lack of hair!

I was doing my best ‘blue steel’ gaze at the dinner table.

Not sure why the photo isn’t upright, but it’s probably all for the better...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F42080DC-A3CB-449B-AB6A-8B7C6812FE8E.jpeg (72.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 05-27-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
love it....not had a haircut since February....feel like it is 1982 again (when I would get my haircut twice a year).

+1 This! Likewise, haven't had a haircut in 4 months and reliving my 20's. I am fortunate. I'm 65 and have the same mane I had then, although now gray.

I will be doing remote arbitrations and mediations throughout the summer, so I can kind of get away with it.

I'm enjoying it.

When male friends ask, "Why do you grow your hair so long?"

I answer,

"Because I can."
Old 05-27-2020, 06:28 PM

I refrained from trying to cut my own hair in solidarity with those who are suffering more than I am in this pandemic-I have not lost my job, been furloughed, nor been infected like many others. I figure I can wait until my state gives the nod to open the barbershops and endure what little pain a lack of a haircut entails.

As a side note, initially my state (CT) was set to open barbershops on 20 May, with some caveats such as mandatory appointments, masks, and all that other jazz. Earlier opening or any violations were subject to fines and license penalties.

When I learned this, I made an appointment.

Just prior to 20 May, the state delayed barbershop openings to some unspecified time in June.

When I saw the article in the newspaper, I called the barbershop and left a message asking what to do.

Later that day, they left a message for me, essentially stating they were still opening and my appointment was still good.

They hung up, then immediately called back and said, "keep it under your hat".

I don't work like that. I canceled the appointment and will continue to endure my disheveled look.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
My kids are telling me I need a cut. Apparently the beard is gross too. I know the greyface ages me by five years. I know I lack a lot of things, but one of them isn’t the lack of hair!

I was doing my best ‘blue steel’ gaze at the dinner table.
Yeah, you're done for! GL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
+1 This! Likewise, haven't had a haircut in 4 months and reliving my 20's. I am fortunate. I'm 65 and have the same mane I had then, although now gray.

I will be doing remote arbitrations and mediations throughout the summer, so I can kind of get away with it.

I'm enjoying it.

When male friends ask, "Why do you grow your hair so long?"

I answer,

"Because I can."
Same age, but my long hair days ended in the mid-late 70's. I did grow a full COVID-19 beard, so now I get don't get carded at the liquor store. My hair is very wavy so I usually keep it shorter, but now, it doesn't just grow longer, it grows into a helmet. Not good, and so I am taking drastic measures.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
Just slap your bike helmet on and buzz off whatever sticks out the holes / sides.