Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2020, 08:19 AM

What's the difference btw. SRAM Red etap and etap AXS?

Subject says it all. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2020, 08:34 AM

Biggest is 1 gear. AXS is 12 speed, requires XDR freehub/driver and the cassettes all start with a 10 cog. Chainrings are also smaller on AXS.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:10 AM

AXS is also fully compatible with their Eagle AXS bits for some mullet builds, and has an app to customize a number of shifting and interface items.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:31 AM

I heard AXS allows you to remotely shift your bike from anywhere on earth.
Useful technology if you happen to log into your Nest system whilst on vacation and spot a thief pedalling your bike right outta your garage
Old 05-23-2020, 11:08 AM
LateStart

Shifting Speed

I have AXS and V1 etap. AXS shifts MUCH more quickly; can't comment on later versions/current version of eTap.

I suspect AXS is going to be a 'platform' and eTap will fade away over time, but that is speculation. There is no reason to have them both as they could easily make an AXS that has everything that eTap has.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:29 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latestart View Post
I have AXS and V1 etap. AXS shifts MUCH more quickly; can't comment on later versions/current version of eTap.

I suspect AXS is going to be a 'platform' and eTap will fade away over time, but that is speculation. There is no reason to have them both as they could easily make an AXS that has everything that eTap has.
eTap support has already stopped. Parts are difficult to find other than on eBay. AXS is a much more advanced product but that was a fast, high priced model life.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:41 PM

Remember when di2 first hit the market and people bragged about how electronic shifting was going to all but eliminate obsolescence because software updates would remove the need to buy new shifters/derailleurs? Hard to believe people really thought manufacturers would give up parts sales in exchange for software reflashes.

I’m not knocking electronic shifting. I get the advantages, obsolescence just isn’t one of them.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I heard AXS allows you to remotely shift your bike from anywhere on earth.
Useful technology if you happen to log into your Nest system whilst on vacation and spot a thief pedalling your bike right outta your garage
You heard wrong.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:56 PM

Online sarcasm fail
Old 05-23-2020, 02:02 PM

AXS is 12 spd and regular Red etap is 11 spd? Or more simply, what the heck is "AXS?"

I went to SRAM website to read specs for a side by side comparison of functionality or something useful....but, nada. Lots of catchy marketing stuff though.

If I just wanted an 11 speed wireless drivetrain, would I look for "regular" Red etap?
Old 05-23-2020, 02:10 PM

yes

Red Etap is for 11 speeds and available in either rim brake or hydro disc. disc is called Etap HRD. all AXS is 12 speed with "evolved?" gear ratios and XD-R free hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
AXS is 12 spd and regular Red etap is 11 spd? Or more simply, what the heck is "AXS?"

I went to SRAM website to read specs for a side by side comparison of functionality or something useful....but, nada. Lots of catchy marketing stuff though.

If I just wanted an 11 speed wireless drivetrain, would I look for "regular" Red etap?
Old 05-23-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

Yup, but then you're off to eBay. Pipeline of 11 speed bits is very much dry these days.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:16 PM

these guys do a nice job = Glory Cycles

https://glorycycles.com/search.php?s...ection=product

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Yup, but then you're off to eBay. Pipeline of 11 speed bits is very much dry these days.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
eTap support has already stopped. Parts are difficult to find other than on eBay. AXS is a much more advanced product but that was a fast, high priced model life.
Already......if correct then Sram is certainly not following Campy in supporting older group bits.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:54 PM
Deconditioned!

As long as they keep a rim brake option, I won't bitch.

I was/am a Campy fan. Aesthetically wonderful. Operationally great. I'm sure I'll try their (Magura) hydro at some point. I'm sure I'll be waiting a long time for the 1x13 as it'll be insanely priced.

That said, my 1st gen eTap is my FAV!!!!