Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 07:46 PM

I purchased my first road bike during the 1970s' bike boom from Greggs' Greenlake in Seattle. No bikes in stock. You had to put down a deposit and wait for the next ship to arrive. Two choices: Peugeot UO-8 and PX10; one color: white. That was back when a 10 speed had 10 speeds.

Since I was young then I road 100 miles the first day and 90 miles the second day even though I had not ridden a bike for quite a few years. Wake up with sore legs and just go out again.

Jeff
Old 05-30-2020, 08:06 PM

I gotta say that seeing more bikes in the streets brings genuine happiness to my heart. I hope more cities become more bike friendly and people realize they can get around without burning gas
Old 05-31-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I purchased my first road bike during the 1970s' bike boom from Greggs' Greenlake in Seattle. No bikes in stock. You had to put down a deposit and wait for the next ship to arrive. Two choices: Peugeot UO-8 and PX10; one color: white. That was back when a 10 speed had 10 speeds.

Since I was young then I road 100 miles the first day and 90 miles the second day even though I had not ridden a bike for quite a few years. Wake up with sore legs and just go out again.

Jeff
Any idea how much that PX-10 cost?
Old 05-31-2020, 08:49 AM

UO-8 was $99 and the PX 10 was maybe $110-115.

Jeff
Old 06-02-2020, 07:36 AM
50 bpm

Interesting update yesterday. Specialized is strapped for cash.

It sent a letter to its dealer network changing the terms of payments on orders.

"We need your help by paying down your account to give us the needed cash to reinvest in the industry. Effective immediately we are changing to End of Month 1 on all orders."

Tip of the iceberg?
Old 06-02-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post

It sent a letter to its dealer network changing the terms of payments on orders.

"We need your help by paying down your account to give us the needed cash to reinvest in the industry. Effective immediately we are changing to End of Month 1 on all orders."

Tip of the iceberg?
I wonder what the mechanism is? Inventory so low that shops are not placing followup orders? Specialized trying to fill orders for bike they have not actually paid for themselves from their manufacturers?
Old 06-02-2020, 07:59 AM

I could be. Well they live out of credit aswell and sure their suppliers are asking for settle the accounts asap because they are short in cash too and some sure are ready to close shop if they havent closed and sold (short sale?) the whole debt to somebody else trying to make money with it.

Another reason to keep some stuff made locally, the interesting thing is that only spech is complaining? wonder when trek and cannondale will talk about it later on.

The pandemic clearly was a problem for everybody in any economic area, because all the stuff is linked to each other, the issue here is that now the looting is making the comeback even harder. A bike builder got his shop busted and poor man sure is questioning if coming back is possible or just moving on other stuff.

I do not know what to think in general (dont worry im always like that :P)
Old 08-07-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post

Tip of the iceberg?
Woah, now that's interesting. I've been keeping an eye on bike inventory roughly around the time this thread was initially started. As I understand it, many, many bike shops have made a killing in the last couple of months but in the coming months/rest of 2020 is when they will really begin to feel the hurt because inventory is so low and/or non-existent. Once small value items (low tier bikes and accessories are gone) all most shops have left are repairs.

I've had a few sources tell me that the back order for new bikes was anywhere from 10-20 weeks. I don't know how accurate that may or may not be, but that's not good.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:15 PM

RBM the big player in the DFW market keeps advertising on the radio about more inventory coming in.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2020, 04:58 PM
Randomhead

From what I'm hearing, there are going to be new bikes coming in this month or next. And then more later into fall. I'm sure bike shops are going to be happy about sitting on inventory over the winter. It's not too surprising that bike companies might be hurting, they didn't sell much more than usual. It's the bike shops that sold through their inventory somewhat unexpectedly.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:08 PM

Inventory available to dealers from specialized will be associated as to what tier dealer you are and if you play their "game" as it were. Orders get filled via the MBAs...and they can't do anything right. We have paid for backorders that we aren't receiving. All other brands are in similar straits. Thank the Gods that I have the market cornered for 7 speed grip shift

Normal bike inventory will not exist until mid/early summer next year, 2022 models. Until then it'll be a train wreck. Ride what you've got....or prepare to pay full retail. Crazy times
Old 08-07-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopwalters View Post
Woah, now that's interesting. I've been keeping an eye on bike inventory roughly around the time this thread was initially started. As I understand it, many, many bike shops have made a killing in the last couple of months but in the coming months/rest of 2020 is when they will really begin to feel the hurt because inventory is so low and/or non-existent. Once small value items (low tier bikes and accessories are gone) all most shops have left are repairs.

I've had a few sources tell me that the back order for new bikes was anywhere from 10-20 weeks. I don't know how accurate that may or may not be, but that's not good.
The shortages have been happening for months. Only high volume dealers with priority purchase agreements are getting bikes in regularly. Even then, limited sizes, numbers and colors and sporadic shipments. Many popular models and sizes are backordered till Feb-March 2021. Carbon road? Good luck. For most shops - service is the only thing keeping the lights on.

Accessories have evaporated too. Today we ran out of 700c tubes. We haven't had a 26" tube, tire, or replacement wheel in the shop for 6 weeks. 9sp parts? No way. No flat pedals of any kind from any of our distributors. Trunk racks? Nope. Availability for some things is slowly improving, but still poor across the board. None of this is going away until the demand starts to slow and the supply chain has a chance to catch up.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:51 PM

I imagine there's more risk of your bike getting stolen in these COVID times. Beware when leaving it unattended.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:51 PM

A few weeks back a distributor had like 50 26" tires at a far flung warehouse, I bought them all. Haven't sold this many 26" tires since the 90s. Noticed the 700c thing this week. Crazy stuff

Flat pedals? Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
The shortages have been happening for months. Only high volume dealers with priority purchase agreements are getting bikes in regularly. Even then, limited sizes, numbers and colors and sporadic shipments. Many popular models and sizes are backordered till Feb-March 2021. Carbon road? Good luck. For most shops - service is the only thing keeping the lights on.

Accessories have evaporated too. Today we ran out of 700c tubes. We haven't had a 26" tube, tire, or replacement wheel in the shop for 6 weeks. 9sp parts? No way. No flat pedals of any kind from any of our distributors. Trunk racks? Nope. Availability for some things is slowly improving, but still poor across the board. None of this is going away until the demand starts to slow and the supply chain has a chance to catch up.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:12 PM

My LBS used to just toss the flat pedals that come with stock bikes, since they always install clipless pedals. When I saw that a while back I thought, “what a waste” and picked up a half dozen or so. I recently donated them to Recycle-a-Bicycle in Brooklyn. I wonder if the LBS still does that, or realizes that there’s demand for them? Will ask tomorrow.