Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 03:27 PM

Tell me about it! I want a Crust Evasion and those things sell out like McDonald's mcRib sandwiches.

The Evasion Lite drops in a few weeks.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
When I ordered mine, the second day they were available, there were only 5-6 in weird sizes across dozens of models/sizes/colors. Most weren't shipping until July/Aug. But they had the exact size/model/paint I wanted by some insane luck.
I guess I got lucky, too. Ordered last Friday, expect delivery in Tucson in 7-10 days, size 56. Other shops quoted me time frames of 3-10 weeks, but the folks at FAirwheel Bikes know what they're doing.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
When I ordered mine, the second day they were available, there were only 5-6 in weird sizes across dozens of models/sizes/colors. Most weren't shipping until July/Aug. But they had the exact size/model/paint I wanted by some insane luck.
I guess I got lucky, too. Ordered last Friday, expect delivery in Tucson in 7-10 days, size 56. Other shops quoted me time frames of 3-10 weeks, but the folks at FAirwheel Bikes know what they're doing.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:25 AM
ZhugeLiang

Normally I wouldn't even bother but I decided to put this to the test by listing two cheapo mtb bikes that my kids have outgrown on Craigslist yesterday. I have received a ton of requests to come see it today. We will see who actually come forward and hand me cold cash...I wrote this on my listing."everyone maintain social distancing please, no fighting over toilet paper...er, I mean bikes. I accept only cash. Price is firm, non-negotiable. First come first serve "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C669AC8E-CC59-4B89-B136-D16DDD628EA5.jpg (149.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 43F531C0-FF1E-48CC-8212-24BA7863E36F.jpg (148.0 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by weisan; 05-21-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:17 AM

Does anyone know if there is a large Momentum (Giant) UX SS in brick red setting around a local shop? I’ve been looking for a simple flat bar belt drive 650b bike for quite a while. This checks the boxes perfectly at a very affordable price.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:24 AM
LateStart

Agree...

I went in to buy a park tool last weekend and saw 3 e-bikes sold while waiting for service; I think the *cheapest* was $2800.

I was/am missing the tool to remove a DA 7700 bottom bracket and the mech told me "no repairs for 4+ weeks, we are only doing new bike setups for now".

In a couple of years there will be many 2020 bikes 'lightly used' for sale in SF...
Old 05-21-2020, 11:07 AM

I'm wondering when the bubble will pop. Pretty much everyone that was even considering buying a bike in the next few years is buying one right now plus a lot of folks that weren't. This is great for business right now, but that level of demand won't continue. It's like we've seen a compression of a few years worth of sales into a few months. If that's the case, a low is coming. After the current demand is satisfied the sub $1k bike sales may plummet, and stay that way for a good long while. Particularly when the used bike market floods from folks that return to their usual activities/don't like the bike thing and many see their buying power for non essential goods drop. I'm already seeing friends and neighbors selling non-essential personal belongings to pay bills/rent.

The flip side is that the current boom will likely develop more enthusiasts after having good experiences with the bikes they are buying now, and they come back for a nicer bike in a year or two. I wonder how large that conversion will be compared to the one and done.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Does anyone know if there is a large Momentum (Giant) UX SS in brick red setting around a local shop? I’ve been looking for a simple flat bar belt drive 650b bike for quite a while. This checks the boxes perfectly at a very affordable price.
If you have a Giant shop near you, they should be able to look through the dealer network and see if there is one on a shelf somewhere. That said - most shops are not interested moving things within the dealer pool at this point given the demand in most places. If you find one, someone here could probably help facilitate in person though.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latestart View Post
I went in to buy a park tool last weekend and saw 3 e-bikes sold while waiting for service; I think the *cheapest* was $2800.
I'm seeing more ebikes around.

Some are going freaking fast.......officials are going to have to separate cyclists and ebikers from accident stats.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:25 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Normally I wouldn't even bother but I decided to put this to the test by listing two cheapo mtb bikes that my kids have outgrown on Craigslist yesterday. I have received a ton of requests to come see it today. We will see who actually come forward and hand me cold cash...I wrote this on my listing."everyone maintain social distancing please, no fighting over toilet paper...er, I mean bikes. I accept only cash. Price is firm, non-negotiable. First come first serve "
SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL THE BIKES HAVE BEEN SOLD!

One guy even convinced me to sell my Giant XTC mtb that I wasn't planning on selling in the first place. I was hoping to keep one around just in case...but I guess it's been sitting in the garage for the last 2 years is enough proof that I won't be doing any mountain biking anytime soon.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:28 AM

Been looking at possibly getting a cargo ebike, Yuba Spicy Curry to be exact to use around town for errands, shopping and the occasional commute in when I'm feeling too lazy to ride regular bike. In past I would have taken the T here in Boston on those "off-days", but not taking mass transit till vaccine widely available (another 12-18 months) and I'm not a big fan of driving.

Just found out this week, Yuba Spicy Curry completely sold-out.

Not sure if this is a mfg/distribution issue or simply demand. Likely a little of both.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth View Post
Not sure if this is a mfg/distribution issue or simply demand. Likely a little of both.
Def. both. Warehouses are bare from the demand and mfg was on pause for a while. Only recently starting to turn back up. That said - even if there wasn't a mfg pause, production schedules wouldn't have been able to keep up with demand.

Stuff is getting sent out the second it lands and a lot of it sells before it is even out of the box at dealers.

Not just the entry and commuter stuff either. Carbon bikes are hard to find now too.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:45 AM

There seem to be a good amt of bikes on CL? Or people don't want them cause many need tune ups?
Old 05-21-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
If you have a Giant shop near you, they should be able to look through the dealer network and see if there is one on a shelf somewhere. That said - most shops are not interested moving things within the dealer pool at this point given the demand in most places. If you find one, someone here could probably help facilitate in person though.
I can’t get anyone to reply to me. Not just giant shops. One shop won’t reply to emails and their phone had been busy for weeks, another shop (who has parts I paid for) won’t reply and they are only available by appointment. Another shop declined quoting me a price for a Campagnolo chorus groupset.

I’ve tried supporting local businesses as best I can but it has been a total failure. Online retailers have been very prompt and helpful.

Edit:
It would be a crime to not add that Velocipede has stepped in and picked up the slack. He got me Chorus 12 and some cable liner when the local shops were not able to. I also got very prompt replies and assistance. It’s great knowing there are good brick and mortar businesses left. I just wish one was local.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 05-21-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
There seem to be a good amt of bikes on CL? Or people don't want them cause many need tune ups?
you average hybrid doesn't know what their size is or how to know if it is in good shape. That and month long repair cues make new the only option for lots of people.