Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2020, 09:18 PM

I'm caught in the crunch as the plan was to graduate both my kids to 26 from 24.
Anything kid size is gone. 26" is now almost exclusively the realm if tween bikes so choices were slim to begin with. Looks like a fall nbb
Old 05-19-2020, 10:59 PM

BTW, if any trek or spec'd dealers here have a wahoo 26 or xxs rockhopper, I'm all ears.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Sounds like a great idea. Should be way better than a department store purchase. Sounds like a fun get together if that sorta thing was possible...
The frames are actually pretty nice, (the last?) made in Canada. I've only built one so far, for a local commuter. Built it with a drop bar and Tiagra 3 x 9. He was happy with it and the LBS people told him they didn't have anything comparable for what it cost him.

Nice thought to get together to build bikes. I assume that you are working. If not, let me know.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:02 AM

Maybe a good time to sell my old Trek Fuel 100.....?
Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 AM

This is peak bike shop rush season anyway.. at least around here.

Late April/Early may the weather finally improves and anyone who is not super serious realizes they're out of shape and a bike ride would be fun. Pretty soon the bike shop is mobbed with people looking for low end bikes, buying stuff for the kid who outgrew their bike, waiting in a massive line for service to the 10 year old bike that got ignored for a few years, etc...

The whole "situation" this year where most fun activities are cancelled but cycling is not just stacked on top.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Nice thought to get together to build bikes. I assume that you are working. If not, let me know.
Yeah, my days have actually gotten longer. We are required to use some PTO but I used that to sell off some parts and catch up on life outside work a bit. It’s back to being glued to a desk.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:51 AM
Vendor

It's not just bikes. Trainers, everyone is out of them. Small parts are starting to dwindle too.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
It's not just bikes. Trainers, everyone is out of them. Small parts are starting to dwindle too.
Yah on the parts actually.

My kid crashed pretty bad about a week and a half ago in gravel and destroyed one of his V-brake pads. He has a Trek kid's bike and it has the non-cartridge style pads where you have to replace the entire post and re-toe/adjust the pad every time.

The shop didn't have any of the small pads Trek specced the bike with, his bike has 20" wheels and the only choice was a full size Jagwire pad. Luckily it works fine even though it's a good 15mm longer pad.

Non-cartridge post-style V-brake/Canti pads selling out at the LBS is not cause of avid cyclists with top of the line recent gear, that's for sure.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:34 PM

There might be a problem with US distribution hubs. The Specialized Diverge I ordered last week would normally have come from a warehouse in CA, but its been closed due to Covid. Instead, my bike is coming from a Midwest warehouse, which delays things a bit. FYI, according to my shop, there were only three of the model I purchased left in the Midwest warehouse.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:37 PM

Not just bikes. In addition to Nintendo Switch, VR systems (outside of the Index) are hard to find too.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
There might be a problem with US distribution hubs. The Specialized Diverge I ordered last week would normally have come from a warehouse in CA, but its been closed due to Covid. Instead, my bike is coming from a Midwest warehouse, which delays things a bit. FYI, according to my shop, there were only three of the model I purchased left in the Midwest warehouse.
When I ordered mine, the second day they were available, there were only 5-6 in weird sizes across dozens of models/sizes/colors. Most weren't shipping until July/Aug. But they had the exact size/model/paint I wanted by some insane luck.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...r-bike-trainer

$799 plus an extra 20% off right now....

That's $630 for a totl smart trainer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2020, 03:17 PM
shimergo

There's a local outdoors oriented chain that's now offering monthly bike rentals of the bikes in their fleet (usually rented out by tourists).
Old 05-20-2020, 03:20 PM
formerly Landshark_98

luckily I ride the same size, more or less as Clean39T so my supply line is good
Old 05-20-2020, 03:26 PM

Here is another good read about bicycle sales surge in the US

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rge-in-america

A friend who owns a company makes bicycle components in Asia said many of his customers postponed orders for April/May delivery due to uncertainties in US and EU markets. This means many of new bike models will not arrive US mid-late summer.