Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
A balance of minimalism and a sound that successfully gets the attention intended. I certainly don't own a bike that is too "nice" for a Spurcycle bell.
Oh yeah sorry that came across wrong. By "nice" I meant my racier bike where I don't think the lines go well with a traditional bell shape. Like, I'm not sure I would put a traditionally-shaped bell on a Colnago or something because it doesn't seem to go with the aesthetic.

Oi bell, for my intended use, strikes a great balance between having something minimal and good ringing. Usually I just use it on the routes with lots of walkers and stuff and all I want to do is alert them to get over, Oi is great for this. The spring on the striker is a little weak and the striker is plastic. I wonder if the sound would have been louder had they used a stronger spring or a metal striker?

In any case, for my commuter bike the spurcycle is king because I just value loudness from a distance over aesthetic.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:08 PM

Just got my Oi

It certainly took a while to get.

It's ok, a little flimsy, but does the trick with a low profile, and a nice design to wrap around housing on the bar.

Spurcycle is lowder and now I know it can be used as a shot glass even better.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Not-so-Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by katematt View Post
Spurcycle is lowder and now I know it can be used as a shot glass even better.
The reference to the shot glass was meant for King Bar Bell:
http://www.kingcage.com/products-waterbottle-cages.html

Old 10-13-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrider View Post
The reference to the shot glass was meant for King Bar Bell:
http://www.kingcage.com/products-waterbottle-cages.html

Replace the tiny shot glass with a pint glass and now we're talking.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:45 PM

It looks really, really nice. Specially the Ti version. Sounds is weak but it should fit my needs, which is commuting on trail to announce my presence.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
so the spurcycle not only sounds better but also looks better?
That's my assessment, too. I just got my Knog bells yesterday. A little disappointed in the long wait for what I got, sounds very 'tinny'. Naturally I have several bikes, so they will get used, but I think I'll put a spurcycle bell on the bikes that get ridden more.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:44 PM
Vendor

+1 for the superiority of the Spurcycle, I was very disappointed with the Knog when I had it in my hands. It's going to rattle as it ages, for sure.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:25 PM
Vendor

Mine also arrived today. I've got a spurbell and the spur sounds nicer and is better constructed, but is more than twice the price of the Oi. The Spur doesn't sound that much louder than the Oi. A metal striker would've been so much nicer. I went in on a group buy with some friends. I opted to pay extra to get the Ti one. I think the price of the aluminum ones were a fine deal but I probably would've passed on paying the extra for the ti one.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:51 AM

Got mine today after a long anticipated wait . . . nice looking but the sound is weak! I got mine for alerting people on the Golden Gate Bridge but I doubt they'll even hear these.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:04 AM

Arrived on the same day...

2nd Spurcycle for me. This one is from the blem sale, although no blem to speak of... And fits on the Deda 35.

Haven't installed the Oi yet...
Old 10-14-2016, 09:43 AM

waiting for mine to arrive, but I suspect will be soon. I am using mine specifically for green-way riding and to alert joggers with computers in their ears.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:03 PM

Really kind of at the end of my rope with these jokers. My CC was charged in July, and still no bell or even a tracking number. Looks like they are showing up on eBay and in LBSs as well. It really looks like they just wanted capital for a new SKU and wasn't really a grassroots invention at all. Unfortunate, as at this point, I'm only inclined to crap all over their brand on the internet at this point.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:20 PM

So, my Oi bell finally arrived today. After the ridiculous wait after payment, and the less than positive early reviews from owners, I was less than optimistic.

I have to say, though, it's REALLY nice. Beautiful sound, nicely made and almost invisible on my handlebars to the inside of my K-Edge Padrone mount. Might even be almost worth the wait. I'm kind of regretting not picking up the titanium one for the MTB, too.

I was surprised to see the shape of the bell change since the last time I saw the Kickstarter. It was a flat ring previously and now the ring has a bit of a radiused crown to it. Would have liked them to have stayed with the original design, but I guess I should just be glad it arrived after a 5 month wait.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:29 PM

aesthetic suggestion

If the spurcycle is wrecking the super slick lines of your fancy bike you can always rotate the bell portion forward/horizontal on your bars. It pretty much disappears and leaves the the thumb thingy right there for action.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:32 PM
welookgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
so the spurcycle not only sounds better but also looks better?
pretty much.