Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 04-10-2020, 01:57 PM

Straight from the Fauxnilla Workshop: Walty Ti Laterne Rouge LR-01

After literally drooling over custom bikes for years, time is finally nigh.
Backstory: I’m a Clyde (6,4”, 215lb) and went for a Bike-Fit a while ago. The results basically said: Go custom. I decided to ride my current ’08 BMC Cross Machine (Long live Cantis!) down into it’s grave and save up for a Custom Frame.
But alas, life happened: Time has passed, weddings were had, relocations completed, cars bought, new jobs started.

I really adore the work of Moots, Mosaic, Firefly and basically anything that leaves the Vanilla Workshop, but i can’t ever justify spending 3K+ for a frame from a psychological perspective. I’ve looked at Rychtarski and Orlowski (both polish), who build custom steel framesets for reasonable prices. Then i stumbled upon spanner.org.uk and i was sold. Since the idea is that this bike will be a “forever n=1 bike” (We’ll see how long that lasts) titanium would be the dream material.

I got a design from Rychtarski for free, and adjusted things a bit. Leading Frames in the design process were the Open Up and Moots Routt, it's basically an open Up adjusted for my position with a wishbone seat stay.
I settled for Waltly, based on posts here and other places. I’m quite content with the process and their level of customer service. Around 50 Mails were sent back and forth, usually within 24 hours, sometimes even on the same day.

Some design features:
- The frame has clearance for 650B 50ish, maybe even a 2.1” and 700C 42s.
- 230mm, 44mm Headtube (Hey, i’m Tall :-)
- PF30 BB - i’m having doubts about this now, at the time i wasn’t aware that this was an old standard. I was fascinated by the Praxis Works conversion BB system. I’ll stock up on those for the future then.
- Wishbone seat stay
- Fender Mounts
- Max. Chainring 46T - i absolutely wanted to avoid a plate in the Chain stay. I’m not that fast anyway.

The Design took about three weeks, due to my back and forth about what I wanted.
LR-01 Geo by Hugo, on Flickr

Ten weeks later, the frame was done. I was quite amazed, Chinese new year and COVID-19 didn’t really impact the lead time.
IMG_3850 by Hugo, on Flickr
IMG_3849 by Hugo, on Flickr

Supplying logos and sand blasting took two weeks more,. I played around in Pages and Coreldraw for the logos, with a nod to the Vanilla workshop.
LR-01-01 by Hugo , on Flickr
LR-01-02 by Hugo , on Flickr
LR-01-03 by Hugo , on Flickr

According to DHL, this beauty will be in my possession soon, customs have been paid upfront.

Partslist:
- Waltly TI frame
- Fork has yet to be decided - probably a Planet-X one on which i’ll go bananas with spray.bike’s products. Maybe a Columbus Futura Cross if plan A doesn’t work out.
- Hope or white industries red Headset
- Sram Force 22 Shifters and front derailleur
- Sram Rival 46/34 Cranks - I broke a Force crank arm recently - no more Carbon cranks for me
- Sram rival derailleur with 11-32 cassette
- Thomson X4 110mm Stem and 31.6 Seatpost
- Easton EC90sl Handlebars
- Brooks Cambium
- Mechanical brakes to be decided - TRP Spyre or maybe Juin Tech F1
- Tires: Panaracer Gravelking 38 and 48mm slicks - best ride i’ve ever had.
- Wheels to be decided. I have an Archetype rim lying around, maybe i’ll lace this on some Hope hubs, although i might try the Prime Kanza 650b wheel set first.

Last edited by Oo0cH; 06-27-2020 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:52 PM

I'm pretty impressed.

How did start the conversation with Waltly? Did you start by saying, "I'd like these dimensions from this geometry chart, but modified in this way"? What sorts of decisions did they need from you along the way?

Straight-gauge or butted?
Old 04-10-2020, 05:32 PM

Very nice! Also curious about the tubing and whether there are choices to be had.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I'm pretty impressed.

How did start the conversation with Waltly? Did you start by saying, "I'd like these dimensions from this geometry chart, but modified in this way"? What sorts of decisions did they need from you along the way?

Straight-gauge or butted?
There is an inquiry form that you fill out, where you can state dimensions, angles, and tubing specifications. I also added a bikecad drawing that i made myself.
All tubes are 0.9mm straight gauge. They don't do butted apparently. I've chosen a 44mm Headtube, 44.5 Downtube, Seat and top Tube of 34.9 mm and a 22.2mm chain stay.
You really have to know what you want. The first drawing i got, had a plate in the chain stay and two downtube cable stops (one at the top and one at the bottom). Their idea was to use a small piece of cable housing under the bottom bracket. I ended up sending them a few screenshots of drawing details from other customers regarding (internal) cable routing, just to get it right.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:17 AM

This came in the Mail yesterday, after just 4 days! Now i get why shipping charges were $230,-.
I was able to pay the customs fee of $190 beforehand through DHL, that might have speeded things up a bit.
I just bathed it to get rid of the excess sand (just to be sure). I also noticed threads in the PF30 BB. Turns out i got an upgrade to t47 .
Good thing I didn't order a BB yet! I wanted a PF30, because i like Praxis Works' System of the "shell in a shell". I just hope the threads are fine, i've read some problems from previous customers on the interwebs.

IMG_9839 by Hugo van Doorn, on Flickr

IMG_9833 by Hugo, on Flickr

IMG_9834 by Hugo, on Flickr

IMG_9838 by Hugo, on Flickr

IMG_9837 by Hugo, on Flickr

The welds look quite nice for a $900,- Frame. I'll build this up over the next couple of weeks.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:20 AM

Any updates on this? Curious to see the complete bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2020, 07:44 AM

IMO I think you got lucky they accidentally built it with t47. Interested to see how this turns out. Any reason to opt for the Planet X fork over a Columbus futura?
Old 05-02-2020, 01:16 AM

Progress has been kinda slow. I want to spec the Bike with red Hope components (Wheels and Headset). Due to the COVID-19 circumstances in GB they've shut down their factory, which causes a significant delay. Additionally, a few other essential parts (Brakes, Seatpost) in my webshops of choice are out of stock (Wait time 7-8 weeks).
At least the fork was delivered this week. There were over 230 reasons i chose the Planet X one. If i screw up my paint experiment, i've thrown €150,- out the window instead of 380. The weight is roughly the same, as are the key dimensions of 395mm AC and 47mm Rake. I'm only missing out on the adjustable rake chip on the Planet X fork. Clearance wise, i've measured over 62mm between the fork legs, so hopefully a 2.2" 650b will fit
Old 05-03-2020, 08:08 PM

and a red Hope RX crank?
Old 05-31-2020, 02:03 PM

Building a Bike in COVID-Times proves to be a real pain in the
Lots of parts were unobtanium for a while.

In the mean time i've had some fun with the fork and spray.bike.
IMG_9844 by Hugo, on Flickr
The Black paint was basically a powder coat in a can, the "covering-power" was great. I wanted to have to bottom of the fork match the Ti Grey frame, but this turned out way to bright. I've decided to spray the whole thing black and try to match the gloss finish from the Thomson bits with a clear coat. This turned out quite well, but took a few tries as the clear coat showed paint drips. All in all it was a fun experiment, however spray.bike is by no means a replacement for a professional paint job.
IMG_0070 by Hugo, on Flickr

My Wife felt sorry for the slow progress (All Hope stuff was out of stock) and decided to pitch in
A Chris King headset in Matte Slate soon landed on my doorstep. It's starting to look like a bike now.
IMG_0077 by Hugo, on Flickr

IMG_0081 by Hugo van Doorn, on FlickrIMG_0079 by Hugo, on Flickr
IMG_0080 by Hugo, on Flickr

After briefly flirting with a FFWD 30mm Carbon disk Wheelset with DT 350 hubs for a steal, i decided that a 24/24 Carbon Wheelset isn't really the best idea for a 225lb chap. The last available Hope 20five 32/24 Wheelset is on it's way. More to come in a few days...

I've also realised the first thing wrong on the project from my side : Fork steerer length. To get to the desired handlebar position i'd need a Fork with a 350mm steerer tube (Changing stems is out of the question, i've designed the frame with a 120mm 0˚ stem, positive rise stems are unappealing to me). I've discovered that Whisky and Enve make these, and i'm glad i went for the planet-X fork instead of forking over €300,- more for a Columbus one, which also has 300mm steerer length. Ah well, the difference between a 50mm or 70mm higher Handlebar won't be that earth shattering, at least it's higher than before, with only 5mm more reach than planned.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:38 AM

Final Build

After an endcap conundrum (the Thru-Axle endcaps were missing for the front wheel), this thing stood for another two weeks.

I didn't really run into any problems during the build, the bottom headset cup was a bit reluctant to go in at first, but after freezing the cup and heating the head tube with a hairdryer, it went easily. I'd say this was due to the King headset cup not being machined at 45° at the top, that would have helped.
The T47 fit like a glove, i've cleaned the threads meticulously with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol before.

Yesterday, it was finally time for pics and the rainy inauguration ride. It rides like a dream. Coming from chattery cantilever brakes, having mechanical discs is a game changer. I feel way more confident descending. The lower BB of 72mm vs 60mm on my old bike makes me feel more "in" the bike instead of "on" it. The 425mm chain stays (435mm before) also make a noticeable difference, it feels way more lively. Cobblestones are a dream to ride over. All in all, i'm very happy with how it turned out!

Enough chit-chat, time for pics:
IMG_0085 by Hugo van Doorn, on Flickr
IMG_0090 by Hugo van Doorn, on Flickr
IMG_0089 by Hugo van Doorn, on Flickr
IMG_0087 by Hugo van Doorn, on Flickr
IMG_0088 by Hugo van Doorn, on Flickr
IMG_0096 by Hugo van Doorn, on Flickr
IMG_0098 by Hugo van Doorn, on Flickr
IMG_0099 by Hugo van Doorn, on Flickr
IMG_0101 by Hugo van Doorn, on Flickr
Old 06-27-2020, 09:23 AM

Really nice!

You're a lot more patient than me. I have to have everything on hand for the build when the frame arrives. I can't stand having it sit there staring at me while I wait for some minor part to arrive.

Thanks for all the back story as well!
Old 06-27-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
Really nice!

You're a lot more patient than me. I have to have everything on hand for the build when the frame arrives. I can't stand having it sit there staring at me while I wait for some minor part to arrive.

Thanks for all the back story as well!
I completely agree with this!!!!!!!!!! There is no patience once a frame arrives.

The build on this looks great by the way!
Old 06-27-2020, 11:07 AM

It was nerve-racking for sure, but contemplating the build and just looking at the build proceeding was part of the joy. The weather gods aren't favourable to me, as i couldn't outride a thunderstorm on the inauguration ride yesterday. At least Ti doesn't rust
Old 06-28-2020, 11:18 PM

Thanks for sharing the entire process with us the end result looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo0cH View Post
There is an inquiry form that you fill out, where you can state dimensions, angles, and tubing specifications. I also added a bikecad drawing that i made myself.

[...]

You really have to know what you want. The first drawing i got, had a plate in the chain stay and two downtube cable stops (one at the top and one at the bottom). Their idea was to use a small piece of cable housing under the bottom bracket. I ended up sending them a few screenshots of drawing details from other customers regarding (internal) cable routing, just to get it right.
Can you go in depth why 50 emails were needed? Is it moreso Walty assuming some design choices, and you correcting them such as the internal routing issue?

Also, it seems like a lot of Walty builds have wishbone seat stays. Do they offer "normal" seat stays that join at the seat-tube/top-tube junction?