Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 06:23 PM
Descent fitness

OT: BBQ grill recommendations

I saw Angry”s smoker thread and thought I would tap the brain trust that is the forum.
After 28 years, my Weber is slowly giving up the ghost. Flavorizer bars are all burned through and collapsing into two pieces, paint is flaking off, and the grill is showing signs of crumpling into a pile of dust. Sad thing is, it is still working fine and making great barbecue.
With that said, I am looking for something to replace it. Here is the wishlist and pertinents:
Desired specs:
Three burners
Single grill with warming rack
Open or enclosed shelves do not make a difference
One or preferably two side tables.
No auxiliary sauce pan burner needed.
500-600 in.² burner space
Natural gas
Painted or stainless does not make a difference
Max budget $800

Uses:
The usual burgers, chicken, fish, corn and kebabs to include vegetables. Nothing super fancy there.
Used 2-3 times per month
Can’t be charcoal/wood pellet, since often times I am running home from work to turn on the gas, grilling something and then returning to work after dinner.

Looking at the Weber site, the Genesis II E-310 or 315 would fit the bill.
I don’t need any of the associated electronics or smart features, so wondering if there was something else that would be preferable.
So, what recommendations do you have?
TIA
Old 05-30-2020, 06:29 PM
VAV

I bought a Weber Spirit - 310...3 burners I guess and it hasn't disappointed. Can't go wrong with Weber IMO. Genesis looks nice and it gets the BTUs up plus the side burner if you care. I'd go with the Genesis and close my case
Old 05-30-2020, 06:53 PM
Vendor

I just replaced mine with this

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Monument-Cl...ers/1001269678

Pretty happy so far. Only thing I kept from my old one, the super nice stainless steel grids. I bought them aftermarket after the porcelain coated originals died. I am not a fan of those. But I liked everything else with this one. I do wish it had all stainless steel panels/construction. But it only has the two sides and the back on the bottom painted steel. Everything else is stainless. Happy with it. Check it out at your local Lowes.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:15 PM

Perhaps this will be helpful... https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...smoker-reviews.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:58 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
That is educational and exhaustive. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2020, 09:17 PM
but not really

Spend a few hundred to replace parts on existing one. Those are just as good as a new $800 Weber and with the parts replaced, you'll get another 25+ years from it. We just bbq'd tonight on my parent's Weber that was a house warming gift to them in the mid 80s. The grill has lived outside in New England with a decent cover since new. Food was delicious.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:17 AM
Descent fitness

Replacing existing parts is a good thought. I like the wood racks and handle of our existing grill, however the grilling surface is on the small side for our family, who likes to barbecue several meals worth of food at once.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:27 AM
I need you cool.

I've been looking at Delta Heat grills for a couple years to replace a crappy Jenn-Air grill that came with the house we bought 8 yrs ago....deciding between a 32" built in grill or some carbon wheels.....

Those blow thru your budget pretty easily...but are really nice. Made in USA, lights, double lined hood, lifetime warranty, etc.....
Old 05-31-2020, 07:50 AM

We have a Genesis 300 series from about 2011ish(?). Still chugging along, but showing signs of age (and neglect). Your 28 year run is very impressive! I just last week ordered new replacement grates, burners, "flavorizer" bars, and heat deflectors from a company called grillparts.com. Cost was about $230. I went back and forth on replacing it with a new grill, but it has been super reliable for our needs. I'll most likely use the money I'm saving to put toward bike stuff 😋
Old 05-31-2020, 11:39 AM

Expand the budget and get a Big Green Egg. I can have mine, a large, ready to cook in ~20 minutes. Very efficient-did a 12 hour brisket on ~5# of lump yesterday, very little work to keep the temp at 225*. You can run it up to high searing temps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2020, 12:23 PM
Descent fitness

Thanks, all for your ideas and suggestions. After perusing parts online, I have ordered new flavorizer and heat dispersion bars and grill, and am going to renew my existing Genesis 1000 grill. I will make it a father-daughter project. I will keep all your ideas in my back pocket in case I find some terminal damage in my grill.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:31 PM
Vendor

There’s a metal shop in Redwood City where a guy there sells replacement flavorizer bars. They’re much thicker than the stock ones. My original ones died pretty quick but these after market ones are going strong after many many years.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:49 PM
hoolered

To jump on this thread; does anyone have any experience with Pilot Rock grills for home use? I enjoy the concept of industrial grade-anything at the consumer level and using the type of grill that lives outside in a park seems like a good idea. The plan is to buy the accessory base so I won't have to dig and pour concrete.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineA1 View Post
Expand the budget and get a Big Green Egg. I can have mine, a large, ready to cook in ~20 minutes. Very efficient-did a 12 hour brisket on ~5# of lump yesterday, very little work to keep the temp at 225*. You can run it up to high searing temps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were you able to get it to burn for 12 hours without having to add more lump and hardwood? just the initial?
Old 05-31-2020, 07:15 PM

Genesis series for gas. Replacement parts, quality, and it lasts.

If you want smoker, look at Traeger. You might never go back to a BBQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrypretz View Post
We have a Genesis 300 series from about 2011ish(?)