Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
I don't even use the copy machine for personal copies or printing knowing that today most of them require a traceable pass-code to use and often the scans/prints are stored on an internal drive that is often backed up which means your copy/scans can be retrieved.
This may come as a surprise to more than a few people. Copies of your resume (or your butt) may be archived by the copy machine!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-31-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
That happened at my work too when the cell repeater on the roof died.
This. OP is saying it's data (their own individual cell phone plans), and not wifi (company-provided wireless internet access), that has slowed down. OP is also saying outgoing calls are now slower to make a connection.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:45 AM

Please read and re-read everything NYCFixie posted as it’s excellent and covers everything. Especially the using a VM on a personal machine. That’s beyond the scope of a lot every day users but it really is the best thing to do in that sort of situation.

I’m the IT Manager and I work very closely with our CISO. I work for a small growing startup so all those points, while they are ideal to apply, can’t right now. I’m hoping the company I work for is successful and grows to the point where I would live by that list by NYCFixie as that’s how I approached my previous job that got purchased by a large company.

If your company does have repeaters and using QoC, you are at the mercy of how well it’s managed and implemented. Just because the feature is enabled doesn’t mean who ever is managing it is monitoring and cares about the location. From being involved with mergers and acquisitions on both ends (company buying the little folk and also the little folks being forced into the mothership against their will) I’ve picked up a ton of experience in IT.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:26 PM

NYCFixie has it all dialed in. Not to mention you mix in your personal electronic life with work, e-discovery might go into that mix.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:07 PM

Curious what you IT folks think about company email accounts on personal cell phones. It is probably the one area I’m not good about separating my work and personal life. Only certain traveling positions qualify for a work issued phone, but I don’t know a single person in the company who doesn’t do a significant amount of work email and messaging on their personal phone. It’s just modern life at this point. To get the email account set up, I know we had to sign something to give the company the ability to remotely wipe our phones, but I always wonder what else could be in play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2020, 10:17 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Toast View Post
This. OP is saying it's data (their own individual cell phone plans), and not wifi (company-provided wireless internet access), that has slowed down. OP is also saying outgoing calls are now slower to make a connection.
The cell repeater amplifies a cell signal so it would definitely apply. I worked in a building where one could not make a call on a cell phone - due to lack of sufficient signal - until we installed a repeater.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
Curious what you IT folks think about company email accounts on personal cell phones. It is probably the one area I’m not good about separating my work and personal life. Only certain traveling positions qualify for a work issued phone, but I don’t know a single person in the company who doesn’t do a significant amount of work email and messaging on their personal phone. It’s just modern life at this point. To get the email account set up, I know we had to sign something to give the company the ability to remotely wipe our phones, but I always wonder what else could be in play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you gave the company the permission to remotely wipe your phone, you probably added some software (mobile device management) that gives them the capability to do so.

That capability potentially opens up full access to anything you do on that phone, at any time. No thanks.

I worked for a large software company that provided our cellular service (but not the phone) and requested this capability. My perspective is -- you pay for the phone, it's a work (owned) phone and you get access. I pay for the phone, it's my personal phone, you get no access.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-01-2020, 08:16 AM
Randomhead

The traffic on a cellphone repeater probably wouldn't be monitored though, would it?
Old 06-01-2020, 09:12 AM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
The traffic on a cellphone repeater probably wouldn't be monitored though, would it?
No, it wouldn't. But if there was a repeater in the building that stopped working/was removed it could cause the problems that the OP is describing because the signal is no longer as strong.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
Please read and re-read everything NYCFixie posted as it’s excellent and covers everything. Especially the using a VM on a personal machine. That’s beyond the scope of a lot every day users but it really is the best thing to do in that sort of situation.

I’m the IT Manager and I work very closely with our CISO. I work for a small growing startup so all those points, while they are ideal to apply, can’t right now. I’m hoping the company I work for is successful and grows to the point where I would live by that list by NYCFixie as that’s how I approached my previous job that got purchased by a large company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex View Post
NYCFixie has it all dialed in. Not to mention you mix in your personal electronic life with work, e-discovery might go into that mix.
Thanks for the kinds words.

I have worked in the technology field for more than 25 years, have a masters degree in information management and cyber-security, and have experienced how easy it it to fire someone for the smallest infraction so I do everything in my power to avoid those questionable situations in my own actions. I also spend a great deal of time educating staff/employees so they are not surprised. I just assume nobody reads company policy manuals so I often hold both voluntary and required training sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
This is a tough one and a very grey area. If your job expects you to be connected then they need to issue you a cell phone. Some refuse but still expect you to use your personal phone. When I have been forced to make this decision I document with my boss, his/her boss, and HR that while I am being asked to use my personal phone for work, the company has no right to anything on my phone for any purpose even if company related and/or company work-product and that all company policies DO NOT apply to this case.

I left a smaller company because they refused to agree to the terms or issue me a company cell phone. I have stayed at larger companies when they realized this was a major issue and either changed company policy and/or started providing more work issued cell phones or did not expect people to use personal phones for company work.

IMHO, the worst case is if they offer to cover a portion of your cell phone bill and/or required mobile device management software to be installed because that then becomes a type of work issued cell phone and they may now have access to all your personal stuff (legally, if not virtually or physically).

Companies are still struggling with all of this as we work in an always-on 24/7/365 culture. I am concerned because I think as more people continue to work from home both temporarily and permanently, this issue is only going to get worse.

My best advice is be/stay informed and make the best decision that works for your individual situation.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 06-01-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
No, it wouldn't. But if there was a repeater in the building that stopped working/was removed it could cause the problems that the OP is describing because the signal is no longer as strong.
Incorrect. Anything can be monitored. And not all cell phone calls are encrypted (depends on phone, service type, service provider, etc.)

If you are using a company repeater, even unknowingly, they have the right to monitor. Again, check your company policy or ask.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:30 AM
Administrator

now more than ever, i would say that a good stable job is something to be guarded and protected.

if your company doesnt want you effing around on your phone, streaming youtube and music while you're at work, you probably shouldnt. lol.