Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 08:20 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
my understanding is that gray water and true sewage must be routed separately...is that not the case?
I think is more about proximity to the vent having to be closer for toilet VS sinks etc.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:49 PM
Randomhead

Apparently there was a stretch of time where some manufacturers made pipe with this sort of problem. We have a lot of ABS in our house, hopefully we dont' get much of this kind of thing. Can't get it around here, in Virginia the big box stores all carried it.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
my understanding is that gray water and true sewage must be routed separately...is that not the case?
Graywater and blackwater are typically drained separately within the structure, because of the different contamination levels of the waters but also because of the larger 3" to 4" size of blackwater drains, until the graywater and blackwater reach the common (if graywater will not be recycled on-site, with rainwater, for irrigation, etc.) line out to sewer main.

Blackwater is all the used whitewater that contains human or pet excrement (ie toilet water).
Blackwater must be routed to on- or off-site sewage/sewer/septic only.

Graywater is all the rest of the used whitewater (contaminated by soap, etc, but not by human waste).
Graywater may be routed to sewage treatment, along with the blackwater, or it may be routed for re-use for irrigation, etc., once treated in an on-site graywater treatment tank.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:36 PM

Now I've found a full four cracks in this pipe, three that I can see and one that lets water drip down through the door frame a foot away from the repair but on the other side of it.

Any flexing of the pipe reveals these cracks along the lower 180 degrees of the pipe's diameter, as tiny beads of water make a line halfway around the pipe.

This pipe is 25 years old and is obviously not aging well. I can only hope that this issue doesn't occur in the other drain pipes in this house.

I am going to have to route this sink's drain pipe through the vanity, and tee it into the other sink's drain. It's either that, ...or run some kind of flex pipe, ...or more demo work to actually replace the faulty pipe with a rigid length of new ABS.

I'm fortunate that there are two sinks in this the upstairs master bedroom. So for now, I can just use the other sink.