Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
Get a proper fatbike. Half-fat isn't allowed on groomed trails. You need at least a 3.8" tire on at least a 65mm rim. There's some amazing riding around that area all winter, and fatbikes are a blast in the summer too.
I think I’ve chatted with you before about this. I’ve been into bikes for 15 years and still never gotten myself out during the winter.

Is that all trails or just some for 3.8”? I was also told that by someone also but I can’t find it documented anywhere. A friend of mine said the “MORC dorks” can’t stop you and the last thing we need is for winter biking to be less accessible. The rear will be 2.8”, so not skinny.

Last edited by Netdewt; 09-27-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:36 PM

Try and find a used fat bike, I believe Minneapolis trails like Theo are all rideable in the winter. Lots of trails south as well in Eagan and Bloomington. I personally bike commuted year round in Bloomington for a few years before I left. I took the quick way in during the winter but usually rode river bottom trails home.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Umm.... keep riding!

I laugh in the face of winter!

My winters usually end up like this. My front sidewalk by January. Why let it stop you?

This is the attitude I need to align with!
Old 09-27-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Where you live you need to be on XC skis. Learn to skate ski or just cruise around. They have groomed trails everywhere.
An alternative to XC skis, that doesn't take as much skill and coordination, is snowshoes. When weather permits, it's part of my winter routine, as is weightlifting and hiking.

I use rollers/trainer in the winter, but my workouts are very low key, barely breaking a sweat. It avoids burnout and provides plenty of base fitness. Even walking is good cross-training in the winter.

I think the key to good off-season training is variety. Maintain general fitness and you'll be refreshed and just fine on the bike once the temps come back up and the sun comes around.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdewt View Post
I think I’ve chatted with you before about this. I’ve been into bikes for 15 years and still never gotten myself out during the winter.

Is that all trails or just some for 3.8”? I was also told that by someone also but I can’t find it documented anywhere. A friend of mine said the “MORC dorks” can’t stop you and the last thing we need is for winter biking to be less accessible. The rear will be 2.8”, so not skinny.
Every groomed trail system in the US basically has rules for a 3.8" minimum tire. The reason being grooming is a LOT of work. When skinny tires show up and create ruts, it ruins the base and therefore everyone else's riding experience. The "MORC dorks" that volunter their time maintaining the trails, so that everyone can have access, deserve respect.

But around here, if you're leaving ruts, regardless of tire size, the trail is closed. There are some small windows of winter where the groomed base is so solid that a 2.8" tire does fine, but that's pretty rare. Or it means the volunteers have been busting their butts...again, providing access for others.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
Every groomed trail system in the US basically has rules for a 3.8" minimum tire. The reason being grooming is a LOT of work. When skinny tires show up and create ruts, it ruins the base and therefore everyone else's riding experience. The "MORC dorks" that volunter their time maintaining the trails, so that everyone can have access, deserve respect.

But around here, if you're leaving ruts, regardless of tire size, the trail is closed. There are some small windows of winter where the groomed base is so solid that a 2.8" tire does fine, but that's pretty rare. Or it means the volunteers have been busting their butts...again, providing access for others.
It seems I need to rethink the half fat...
Old 09-27-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
It seems I need to rethink the half fat...
I think 4.0 is the minimum here. I found a used Salsa Mukluk for $500 late last winter. I was too late for the snow but I'm going to give it a shot this winter. I figure if I don't like it or want to upgrade I can get my money back. Look around, I bet you can grab a similar deal.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
It’s silly, maybe, but XC skiing seems horrible to me. When I’ve done it in the past it felt like walking with big sticks on, and that’s about it.
atch some world-cup/tour races on YouTube and you'll get a whole new appreciation for the graceful athleticism sport. I was nordic racing before bike racing and used cycling as training for skiing. Now it's a mix of both, although neither really competitively. Two years ago I added in a rifle to go from cross-country to biathlon and that's even more fun.

The twin cities is a hot bed for skiing and cycling so I would encourage you to find a way to enjoy being outdoors in the winter whether it's skis fat bike or snowshoes and complement that with indoor training and strength work. Winter can be a heck of a lot of fun!
Old 09-27-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah moving isn’t happening.

I do have a Campy 10 road bike that I rarely ride lately. It would be nice on a trainer, but the downside is my wife could not use it without a hassle or 2 trainers. I have had rollers and a Kinetic trainer, I never used them.
I second the direct drive trainiers. You can get 2 kickr core and it would still be less than $2K.

Would your wife be riding the fat bike outside during the winter?
Old 09-28-2020, 06:08 AM

Where you live, I would definitely look at a full fat bike.

Also - get some winter clothes. You really don't need that much, shoes, tights, a decent jacket.

Consider the trainer once a week or so.

Add in some cross training, XC skiing, snow shoes, (home) gym work.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:16 AM

I get through Maine winters with XC ski (classic style, just exploring local ungroomed trails mostly with some occasional trips to groomed ski areas), short commute on studded tires, some Zwift (don't really like it) and...Short Track Speed Skating! Short track is incredibly fun and quite technical to learn. There are definitely clubs in Minnesota--not sure if you have any close to you. Skate season starts in two weeks and I'm excited about it.

David
Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
It’s silly, maybe, but XC skiing seems horrible to me. When I’ve done it in the past it felt like walking with big sticks on, and that’s about it.
Xcountry skiing on groomed trails is enjoyable if you know how to do it and have the proper equipment. There is a winter park in northern Wisconsin, Minocqua to be exact, http://mwpskishop.com/, that rents equipment and gives weekend lessons. Might be a nice weekend getaway to learn technique and get some basic skills. Worst case scenario is you still don't like it but my money says you'll warm up to it. If that doesn't work there is always snow shoeing. Jeez I'm old and fat and I like it and would really like it if I was young and fast. Some of these people on skate skis can fly.

Last edited by Frankwurst; 09-28-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:39 AM

Cross country skiing is popular in Scandinavia, where they ride bikes in the summer months.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:39 AM

My wife isn’t interested in biking outside in the winter. She hard vetoed a direct mount trainer because no one else in the house can use it. She wants a peloton or spin bike that anyone can use (small house, 4 kids). I’ve tried several trainers in the past and used them all 3 times at most before they sat in the corner.

I’ve downhill skied my whole life. I can skate ski well in downhill boots. I pull the kids around that way. Not sure if it’s any different but it kinda sucks.

I’m looking at doing a Framed $800 w/ Deore 10. It’s probably junk but it’ll get me on trails. There are still a few Mukluk Deore 11 bikes around, but not for long, and double the price at $1600.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:06 AM

Just need the right clothing and some extra grit in the winter mornings. Unless there are several inches of snow on the ground, any road bike is still capable and no need for "fat" bikes. Just watch out for the black ice.