Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2005, 03:41 PM
spiderlake

Team Disco Roster for TDF

Not to steal thunder from the T-Mobile post earlier today.....

Discovery Channel for the Tour De France
Lance Armstrong (USA)
Jose Azevedo (P)
Manuel Beltran (Sp)
George Hincapie (USA)
Benjamin Noval (Sp)
Pavel Padrnos (Cz)
Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr)
Jose Luis Rubiera (Sp)
Paolo Savoldelli (I)

Complete story at: http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/8259.0.html
Old 06-22-2005, 03:45 PM
le baroudeur

Ouch...

That team looks hard to beat. Don't see too many others, with the exception of T-Mob & CSC, being able to stack up against those guys....

Wait...! I forgot! Maybe Paris Horner can take them on...!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:50 PM
spiderlake

They do look like a strong team. It's too bad Eki won't be there this year but at least the article stated he *might* be racing again by the end of the year. I don't know why but I thought Cruz might have made the roster this year. Maybe because he seemed to get some camera time on 'chasing lance' on FitTV?!?!?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Dr. Doofus

Obviously, this is an extraordinary talented group. However, Eki's absence raises an interesting question: who will take his role on the flats? There is not a lot of HC climbing in this Tour, and Beltran, Rubiera, and Azevedo are your mountain goats (although Azevedo is quite capable on the flat). Popovych can be a strong rouleur, as can Salvodelli, but niether would relish the role of towing the bunch for the first few hours of a flat or moyenne montagne stage...that's a tough job to swallow for one who has stood on the podium of a Grand Tour.

This looks like a good group if LA takes the jersey with a week to go, but not too much earlier...this group could defend the jersey and control the race over the Massif and through the Alps...enough rouleurs for the early going, but not a team to control two weeks of racing (of course, watch them prove the doof wrong)....LA takes number 7, but doesn't spend more than 8-9 days in yellow.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:05 PM
needs adult supervision

don't you reckon lance's bodyguards will be george and chechu? eki will be hard to replace but george is lance's homey.

Last edited by Climb01742; 06-23-2005 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:08 PM
commuter racer

I'm such a dork..I thought this thread was about disco dancing...
Old 06-22-2005, 08:36 PM
csb

anyone else notice you can stop the banana from dancing
by holding down the mouse clicker _ muybridge would be so,
so very proud.

Last edited by csb; 06-22-2005 at 08:38 PM. Reason: hold it down while over the sliding side bar
Old 06-22-2005, 08:49 PM

Lance Armstrong has a pretty good record in the TdF. Some say this is the year he will be beat.

He will take #7.

It is indeed too bad Ekimov is not present. He is one of the best at his job and since LA is leaving the Tour after this one he will not have much of a job left to do. I would not be surprised to see him hang it up too.

The T-Mobile team has one very conspicuous absence: Ralf Aldag. That guy can do similar work to Ekimov. He can go fast for hours. They should leave Kloeden at home because he is worthless anyway, IMHO.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:08 PM

Why the jokes about Horner? He should have been in Europe years ago; he has one good tour and he's dirtier than Paris Hilton? He's rested and maybe peaked early. Simple as that.

Funny analogy but I'm not convinced. Look at his mugshot on the podium.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:32 AM
Post Mod-ern

Lance will win . . .

. . . because when he decides he wants something--especially his favorite podium--he has a record of absolute focus that gets it for him.

As for Horner, I think he’s hurt his rep several times with his big mouth. I wonder what it’s like to have one of those?

BBDave
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 06-23-2005, 06:51 AM
Free Unibet

Lance

I think that this is the year that Lance will finally be beaten. My wife is being so bold as to predict that he will not even finish the first week before he packs his bags and heads home. I have to admit to being unimpressed at the strength and form of many of the would be contenders. Only Botero and Ullrich seem to be on top of their game....Alot of riders seem to be banking alot on their form coming at just the right moment....
Old 06-23-2005, 07:01 AM

This is Horner's second chance in Europe. Most don't get even one. He is talented to be sure, but an arrogant mofo to boot.

He could have carved out a decent career but must have stepped on some toes during his first time over there. He wondered why he couldn't get a contract. Well, surely he was good enough. But talent is not the only factor.

I have a friend who is Swiss and is, bar none, the most talented rider I ever rode with. He never got a decent contract, but had a number of smaller things. He blew them all, without exception due to his personality. Unless you have the talent of one of the top 10 in the world, there are other things that count.

Maybe Horner has figured that out finally.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:05 AM
50 bpm

Ullrich?

I thought he looked awful on the TdS climbs. He can roll out of bed and win TTs, but he can't take slopes for granted.

I think he loses time early and the team turns to Vino.

Botero is the question mark.

Is it July yet?
Old 06-23-2005, 07:23 AM

on the flats . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofus
However, Eki's absence raises an interesting question: who will take his role on the flats?
George and Padrnos are the big boys for the open road, and Noval (who probably beat out Joachim) will take on that role too. Il Falco and Popo can serve as necessary, too (after all, they may be princes, but there's only one king).

they probably won't make any great effort to protect the yellow jersey if they take it early, right? and the team can also conserve energy by relying on the sprinters' teams early on.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:55 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Lance made the team again!!!

I think it would be kinda funny if they showed up without Lance. Everybody who thinks they have a shot at winning has made Lance their target for the last year (some many years more than that). Lance has 6 wins (I'm told, haven't seen last years yet), what's the seventh gonna get him? I think he should hang out at home, then on the first day he can use the old Gong Show line "Ieyyyyyyy Gotcha!!!"