Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 PM

If you can... get out of equities at least growth equities. Look into very safe investments that yield 3-5%. And live off this income.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:57 PM

I second the bogleheads recommendation but even they will only help you decide after you have done the fundamental/existential question: what is my preferred asset allocation, regardless of taxable or not.

the longer answer is that, assuming you will reinvest in what would then be a taxable account, long term capital gains are still taxed at a lower rate than straight up interest, so it generally makes sense to have the equity portion of the portfolio in the taxable side and the bond/government securities in tax sheltered, all things being equal, which they never are. In any case don't try to time the market. can't be done. choose your asset allocation and stick with it
Old 08-15-2019, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I think he means invested outside the retirement accounts....

He has to take the RMD, but doesn't need all the cash flow, so what does he do with it?
Gonna be my issue in about 2 years also..
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...82EA&FORM=VIRE

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-15-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:25 AM

You guys do realize that an RMD can be transferred to a taxable account as an invested vehicle, and it doesn't have to be taken as cash, right?

So if the OP is happy with his current investment, regardless of which 'pot' it's in, he/she can transfer those equities or bonds to his regular non-sheltered investment account and pay the taxes on it either as an estimated amount during the quarter or at the end of the tax year, depending on how his/her AGI works out.

There is no need to cash out the investment and re-invest it or pay commissions on that transaction.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 AM

What investments fall into this category for you?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
If you can... get out of equities at least growth equities. Look into very safe investments that yield 3-5%. And live off this income.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:04 PM

Hard to beat the safety of utilities stocks and many yield close to 5%. Safe because demand for electricity is fairly consistent from year to year and share prices fluctuate much less than the broader market, but interest rates are a factor there. Rates drop, more people move into utilities for the cushy dividend. When interest rates rise and people can safely make >5% elsewhere, some money flows out. But overall, pretty safe trickle of income. You won't read too many stories about investors who have lost their asses on electric company stocks.

Gonna be a while until I have enough in the bank to live on 5% though. I blame my children.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:27 PM

If you are looking for a relatively conservative investment in equities check out Thomas Partners at Schwab. They invest in a widely diversified (by companies) that pay good dividends and look like they will continue doing so. If the fund finds another equity that looks more promising than one of their holdings they buy the new one and sell the one that may be faltering. Pardon my very simplified explanation but this philosophy has been mine for many years and Thomas partners has done a better job finding these opportunities than I could. There is a minimum initial investment. I think it's $100,000. They also have a fund that adds some bonds to the mix which should offer even more safety at the likely reduction in gains. I have some of both funds.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
What investments fall into this category for you?
Thanks
Muni’s, quality static dividend stocks (pipelines, telecom, utilities, REITs, etc),
Old 08-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Muni’s, quality static dividend stocks (pipelines, telecom, utilities, REITs, etc),
Last time i checked, decently rated Munis were paying pitiful yields... certainly no more than brokered CDs
Old 08-15-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Last time i checked, decently rated Munis were paying pitiful yields... certainly no more than brokered CDs
I rather support infrastructure. Yes, they currently yield poorly but are pretty sure. Like bread, man cannot live on muni’s alone.

Plus, there are some that are out of line of their ratings that yield ok in the range I suggest.

Last edited by joosttx; 08-15-2019 at 06:27 PM.