Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2019, 11:50 AM

What's the deal with Shimano MTB bits?

As mentioned in another thread, I am thinking about going to some sorter MTB cranks. That got me to think about moving from a 2x XT Di2 set-up to a 1x.

While a die-hard Campy guy for the road, I am/have not been a fan of anything SRAM. However, it seems impossible to source any Shimano 1x in the new 12-speed configuration. And with none of the 12-speed to be found this season, it's likely to assume we won't see any Di2 for the foreseeable future.

Two questions: any insight into why Shimano is becoming Campy-like in announcing but not shipping new stuff?

Anyone ridden both MTB Di2 and the Sram AXS MTB gear and can compare head to head? Please don't make comments about your love for mechanical and how electronic shifting is for Freds. I love my EPS and Di2--and I am a Fred.

I'm thinking about making the switch, provided I can keep my XT brakes. Pros? Cons? Differences with a 1x vs. 2x with 11-46 in back?

Also, does the SRAM stuff have a proprietary BB? I am currently running a CK 24mm thread fit with an adapter kit for XT. No desire to switch from a perfectly good CK BB. I can't seem to figure out what the DUO stuff is.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:55 AM

Sram has been beating the pants off of Shimano for mtb drivetrains for years now. As noted, Shimano is trying to catch up, but not much product has hit the street and long term testing is non-existent.

Get Sram AXS. You won't be sorry. No one can compare to Shimano Di2 12 speed cause it is non-existant. Not even announced as far as I know.

You can keep your XT brakes. If you use a Sram Dub crank, you will need a Dub bottom bracket. Or use a different crank that is 1x AXS compatible and works with your CK bottom bracket.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Thanks. Was wondering more about 11sp Di2 vs. any AXS
Old 08-14-2019, 12:23 PM

I have XTR 12s. It's very good. The shifting under load is amazing and the brakes got even better than they were. Also, the cassette spacing makes sense where SRAM's does not with their 8 tooth gaps. My 2 cents.

I went from a cable driven XTR 11s setup to this. 11-46 cassette shifted very well also, but the 12s stuff shifts VERY well. No input on the Di2 vs. AXS other than parking lot spins. A friend has AXS and he said it wasn't mind-blowing or anything.

Lastly, WolfTooth makes both SRAM and Shimano 12s rings for whatever version XT crank you have.

Last edited by dougefresh; 08-14-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:27 PM

I read a fire at the Shimano factory affected the availability of the cranks. I did some research a few weeks ago when I noticed that a lot of 12 speed Shimano MTB come with Next cranks but otherwise full XTR 12-speed groups. There was also some news about manufacture of the cranks did not scale well.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:29 PM

I wouldn't buy 11 speed mtb Di2 at this point in the game. It is effectively a dead product. Any new Di2 from Shimano will likely be 12 speed, which may not be compatible.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:41 PM

They did manage to come out with "real" xtr cranks from the factory but at this point they are so late in delivering that some bike brands had to spec NEXT cranks instead.

If they do come out with a new groupset, bet on waiting months for it to be available and start to trickle in.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
Thanks. Was wondering more about 11sp Di2 vs. any AXS
Lots of articles written up about it and vids on youtube. I find the app much easier to use from Sram and Di2 speed a little faster still despite AXS being faster than gen 1 etap.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:19 AM

Since you already own the excellent XT Di2 setup, why not try 11sp 1x? Your rear mech can fit an 11-46T cassette, which can be found at XT or SLX level for ~$70.

Given my experience with eTap vs Di2 on the road, I find it hard to believe that SRAM would perform better on MTBs. The main benefit is the 10T small cog with an XD driver (and ease of installation, but you've already got Di2 set up).