Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2019, 08:07 PM

Lingering toe numbness

My left foot is prone to going numb when I ride. I rolled the ankle decades ago which affected the arch a bit. It even feels a bit numb when riding in street shoes on platform pedals.

Three days into my 6 day bike trip I noticed my middle, fourth and little toe on the left foot going numb and it didn't return to normal, even overnight.

It's been about a month now. Little and fourth toe are pretty much back to normal.
The middle toe and the area of the foot just behind it gives me a numb feeling when I put pressure on the foot. Even feels like there is something in my foot just behind the middle toe that causes the feeling when I apply pressure.

Waiting to hear back about the ultrasound and x-rays.

I'm guessing some nerve damage?

Anyone ever have this happen to them?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2019, 08:18 PM
Randomhead

sounds like classic Morton's neuroma symptoms. Treatment is to get some metatarsal pads and shoes with more room in the front. It would probably be best to have some orthotics made if you have insurance that will cover it. Podiatrists will really want to shoot you up with cortisone, but I'm doing okay without that.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:54 AM

Morton's Neuroma usually has what is referred to as "fire foot". It can be caused by compression from tight shoes. I got it from cycling and years of wearing combat boots. The nerve that runs between the area at the base of the toes gets inflamed and the body lays down sheets of tissue over time to self-protect--or at least that is the layman's description my doc gave me before I had surgery to remove it 25 years ago. I saw what came out. The nerve looked like a string of spaghetti noodle on each end where he cut, but the center section was about the size of my little finger!! No wonder it was hurting so much. Metatarsal pads are positioned behind the area to spread the bones. Most good orthotic inserts today have them built in. Many of my cycling shoe inserts have them--particularly Specialized body geometry and Shimano. Sidi inserts from my Genius shoes don't have them, so I use inserts from other shoes that do have them. Also, if riding distance, your feet may swell, so loosen the straps on your shoes if that happens.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:53 AM

The affected area seems to line up with Morton's neuroma but there's no pain involved right now when I walk or apply pressure.
My shoes also had more than enough room. Plenty wide and enough space to add a Dr Scholl's insert under the footbed.

My guess is there is some tissue development in the nerve area which is triggering the toe tingling when the area is pressed.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Randomhead

I have never had pain from my Morton's neuroma, only numbness. It really depends on how early you catch it. Untreated, it continues to get worse.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:59 PM

I've never had it linger but you probably need good orthotics made for good cycling shoes that have plenty of room for your toes.

Good luck getting them. I have a good pair but the guy who made them isn't in business anymore. Mine are getting old and if they fail I don't know what I'll do.

I tried using some off the shelf inserts this year at the beginning of the season... they take up less volume in the shoe but I had significantly more issues with toes going up numb (like every ride as soon as I started to ride into zone 3/4 territory) The forefoot support on the custom orthotics is dramatically better. They are overall much much harder too. The arch on the off the shelves ones is probably sufficient but overall they are usually much more squishy & less supportive especially in the forefoot. The best cycling orthotics I've had usually have zero squish, same thing as something like a custom Bont shoe that doesn't flex at all and matches your arch where you're pushing right on the carbon sole.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I've never had it linger but you probably need good orthotics made for good cycling shoes that have plenty of room for your toes.

Good luck getting them. I have a good pair but the guy who made them isn't in business anymore. Mine are getting old and if they fail I don't know what I'll do.

I tried using some off the shelf inserts this year at the beginning of the season... they take up less volume in the shoe but I had significantly more issues with toes going up numb (like every ride as soon as I started to ride into zone 3/4 territory) The forefoot support on the custom orthotics is dramatically better. They are overall much much harder too. The arch on the off the shelves ones is probably sufficient but overall they are usually much more squishy & less supportive especially in the forefoot. The best cycling orthotics I've had usually have zero squish, same thing as something like a custom Bont shoe that doesn't flex at all and matches your arch where you're pushing right on the carbon sole.
You might try Don Lamson for orthotics, or shoes. https://lamsoncycling.com/orthotics
Old 08-12-2019, 03:04 PM

The trick is finding someone local. This is not something I want to self fit or try and do over the internet or via mail.

The guy who makes my regular orthotics for street shoes has made me cycling orthotics. I might try him again.

His are expensive ($500 or so) and he has a hard time getting the volume down to the point they fit well in cycling shoes though. I think I would get a discount though because he would not have to scan my foot again.

The ones I Have right now are from cyclesoles.com...

They are the best cycling orthotics I've had. VERY low volume, very good performance, very good longevity, very good price, IIRC they were < $200 because they didn't require being fit by someone with medical credentials/training.

But the local place that did them no longer does them.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:13 PM

how many straps on your cycling shoes? hopefully two so you can relieve pressure on the toe side one. My wife had that issue and that solved it and also she got insoles later on too.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:45 AM

Seriously ok?... Do yourself a metatarsal button using those rounded felt pads used in the legs of furniture, there is one that is like an inch diameter, cut like a Drop shape out of it and put it on top of the insole. THe material is really high and hard... just do test runs with it.

I have tried the regular pads you can find in the stores and those dont work, too soft and not tall enough to actually make any difference to spread the bones around the nerve that is being pressed or swollen.

U lose nothing trying IMO.

Remember a forumite years ago saying that he put a giant riduculous high foam made metatarsal pad and he got rid off the problem that way. The problem with foam is the density and you need something big to be able to find the right height after is compressed, thats why I picked felt, besides you can stack felt pads one over another one aswell. BUt probably one large size rounded felt pad will be high enough.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Seriously ok?... Do yourself a metatarsal button using those rounded felt pads used in the legs of furniture, there is one that is like an inch diameter, cut like a Drop shape out of it and put it on top of the insole. THe material is really high and hard... just do test runs with it.

I have tried the regular pads you can find in the stores and those dont work, too soft and not tall enough to actually make any difference to spread the bones around the nerve that is being pressed or swollen.

U lose nothing trying IMO.

Remember a forumite years ago saying that he put a giant riduculous high foam made metatarsal pad and he got rid off the problem that way. The problem with foam is the density and you need something big to be able to find the right height after is compressed, thats why I picked felt, besides you can stack felt pads one over another one aswell. BUt probably one large size rounded felt pad will be high enough.

Hope this helps.
How do you determine where to put the felt pad? Just trial and error? I might try this out.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 08-14-2019, 12:24 PM

Right behind the metartarsal bones..I eyeballed mine and actually I know I put it tad far to the left (left foot) need to move it right a little.... from the big toe (ball of the foot), between the 2nd and 3rd toe metatarsal (the area that touch the pedals if you use foot over the pedal axle cleats position)... in that area maybe 3 mm behind...

It will bother you a little bit but after a few minutes wont bother you anymore, im my case I can feel the felt there a little because the material is really stiff and doesnt give up too much but that like discomfort is something I can live with, is that or come back to the burning pain after 2 hours or so, now can do 4 hour rides...

You can google aswell, there is videos and articles about it.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 PM

X-rays were fine. Ultrasound showed inflammation of the tendons behind the big, 2nd and middle toes.
Seems odd cuz it was the little, 4th and middle toes going numb.

Dr said to give it 2 more weeks and if the numbness continues then he'll send me to some foot doctor at Yonge and Eg.

It's good that I'm equipped with meta pads, custom orthotics, and a bunch of Birkenstock insoles in the mean time.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:17 PM

Not rocket science but I hope this tip helps someone tweaking their shoes...

Get an idea of where to start placing your metatarsal bump felt pad and cover that area of your insole with double sided scotch tape. Place bump but don't peel off the backing. Take a pen on your ride. Move pad around until you find the right spot. Trace around it because the DS tape is good but not permanent. Peel and stick the pad after a few rides when you are confident and draw around it again in the event that it migrates over time.

I think the pads were 8-10 $s a pop and they don't really want to come off/be reapplied once stuck down.

Last edited by bshell; 08-16-2019 at 01:53 AM. Reason: *not permanent
Old 08-15-2019, 08:33 AM

Good advice here regarding insoles.

Another thought is cleat placement. Moving the cleats back so the metatarsals are further forward may help.