Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2019, 08:23 PM

I don't

I just buy new tires when I feel they are worn enough.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:05 PM

I might be in the minority, but for my main recreational bike I'm constantly swapping out tires from road slicks to various widths of knubby tires. The front/rear tire swap just happens without intention in that process.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:47 AM

I've usually put a new tire on the front and rotated the former front to the rear. On occasion, when I decided to change tire brands entirely, I'd just discard both used tires and put a fresh pair on.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinarelli View Post
For most people the rear tire wears out faster. Do you rotate the tires to even out the wear? If so how often/miles?
Or, if you don't, do you only replace the rear tire with a new tire and keep the front as it is?
Or, are you as OCD as me, and when you have to replace one tire you replace both because you want the tan sidewall fading/yellowing to match?
If the rear needs replacing, put the front on the rear and put the new tire on the front, where it's more important for steering, and keeping front end washouts to a minimum..
Old 08-12-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
When the rear wears out I move the front tire to the rear and put a new tire on the front.
+1...same here. one way rotation.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:44 AM

No. Replace as needed.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zian View Post
I might be in the minority, but for my main recreational bike I'm constantly swapping out tires from road slicks to various widths of knubby tires. The front/rear tire swap just happens without intention in that process.
I got some of this too. Yesterday I had gravel Kings on. Today road tires so I don't know which will go on but I guess I could figure it out. I see no point in that...

I think about bike s&5! more than I should anyway.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:04 AM

Yes, most defiantly, I am frugal and try to maintain some sense of respect for our environment. Replace and throw away just does't fit with my lifestyle, hey I save rubber bands that sometimes come on my purchased vegetables.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
This, you always want your best tire up front. If you have ever had a front explode you will know why.
When's the last time you had a front flat?

When's the last time you had a rear flat?

Which happens more frequently?

M
Old 08-12-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
When's the last time you had a front flat?

When's the last time you had a rear flat?

Which happens more frequently?
Risk isn't just about frequency (or likelihood), its also about potential consequences. Although front flats are less common, the potential consequences are greater. For me, this tips in favor of installing a new tire on the front.

(And by the way, the last flat tire I had was a front pinch flat, when my tire dropped into a longitudinal crack in the pavement while racing in a criterium.)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:39 AM

i'm sitting here... reading this whole thread as if we're talking about car tires.
and this statement really threw me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I buy tires in threes - two for the rear and one for the front, no rotation.
and then everyone else's affirming this method threw me even further.

happy monday, i need some caffeine.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Back in the day I used to rotate every ~500 miles. Some tires weren't "directional" and I would flip those as well.

Nowadays I'm too lazy. When the rear gets worn I move the front to the rear and get a new front. That's for road bikes. For MTB, I run front/rear specific so no rotation.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Risk isn't just about frequency (or likelihood), its also about potential consequences. Although front flats are less common, the potential consequences are greater. For me, this tips in favor of installing a new tire on the front.

(And by the way, the last flat tire I had was a front pinch flat, when my tire dropped into a longitudinal crack in the pavement while racing in a criterium.)
Agree. I would much rather have a rear flat than a front. If the rear goes down, you can still control the bike just might fishtail some unless your flying down hill. Front goes flat (especially if it loses air fast) you might be screwed pretty quick-like. On a road bike, best tire is always in the front.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:44 PM

I just buy 2 new tires when the rear starts getting near it's end of life. Same thing I did with my motorcycles when I had them.

Safer, better performance, more smiles on my face. Trivial cost for my income level.

I would be curious how many of out have bike stables worth $10k, $20k, $30k, or more and worry about getting every last mile out of your tires to scrimp and save a little bit.

I have less bikes than the average on this forum AFAICT. New replacement cost for all my bikes would be about $12k.. but I bought the 3 bikes over a period of about 13 years.. not like I went and bought all the bikes at the same time.

Pretty sure if I had a bad crash as a result of sub-par tire performance my medical co-pays/deductibles would buy a decade or more worth of high end bike tires, but I can't say that's in the back of my mind.

I suppose it'd be nice if there was a way to recycle tires, I have not looked into that.

I have taken advantage of sales the last 2-3 sets of bicycle tires I bought, so there is that as well. My main go fast road bike I have had BOGO on every set of tires I've ever put on the bike.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
If the rear needs replacing, put the front on the rear and put the new tire on the front, where it's more important for steering, and keeping front end washouts to a minimum..
This is what I do. I think it's the best way to get the most out of your tires. It's a little more of a pain with tubeless because I have to reseat and refill with sealant.