Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2019, 01:51 PM

Looks dated next to that 'Bu concept, but it fits my bike with the front wheel on, which is a little bit nicer with discs and through axles...

Since Audi/VW is in full retreat on wagons, I have no idea what happens when it's time to replace this one. I've been driving Audi wagons for about 20 years.

Maybe it's not all that bad.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/25864/...ing-in-the-u-s

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...station-wagons

https://www.investopedia.com/insight...y-theyre-back/

I suppose I could get by with 2nd hand E63 S wagon if absolutely necessary...
Old 08-09-2019, 01:58 PM

That's a good-looking Avant right there.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttx1 View Post
Looks dated next to that 'Bu concept, but it fits my bike with the front wheel on, which is a little bit nicer with discs and through axles...

Since Audi/VW is in full retreat on wagons, I have no idea what happens when it's time to replace this one. I've been driving Audi wagons for about 20 years.

Maybe it's not all that bad.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/25864/...ing-in-the-u-s

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...station-wagons

https://www.investopedia.com/insight...y-theyre-back/

I suppose I could get by with 2nd hand E63 S wagon if absolutely necessary...
I was just wondering the other day what my S4 Avant B7, same color, would look like with those wheels on it. They are the Audi Rotor wheels, I believe. Are they 18 or 19 inch?

So does full retreat mean they're not even sending the A4 Allroad our way? Such a shame, but maybe the boom in wagon sales will get their attention.

An E63 wagon wouldn't be so bad!
Old 08-09-2019, 02:13 PM

My B7 A4 2.0TQ wagon was a nightmare... I mean it lasted a nice 187,000 miles before is self imploded like a star collapsing on itself. When I took that car to the VW dealer by my house, and they accepted it as a trade-in, I drove off so fast in my used TDI wagon! When I looked inside of a B8.2 wagon, I was shocked to see a bunch of the improvements (Hoses) versus the B7. Mainly the Coolant expansion tank and flange system.

The main issues with the B7 A4 TFSI 2.0T

- Oil consumption which my dad says stems from worn internals.
- Oil leaks all over the place
- Plastic Coolant Flange (I replaced 2), when they fail your car will be dropping coolant like a leaky faucet and cause over heating problems.
- Oil Filter housing replacement with gaskets (Did this twice). Source of oil leaks..
- Coolant reservoir being in a hot spot, and the plastic expansion tank ultimately leaking and cracking. Replaced (2) of them.
- Suspension bushings, they go pretty fast and you have to replace the plastic bushings.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:36 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttx1 View Post

Same

Audis for close to 20 yrs.
In EU, the RS6 Avant is the flagship performance estate.

I really want a B8 avant but, you know, they are long gone and i'm just not a fan of the allroad, even though they are based on the same estate.

I've been struggling to find a replacement for my avant and looking elsewhere, but there really are no options that i'm in love with.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Same

Audis for close to 20 yrs.
In EU, the RS6 Avant is the flagship performance estate.

I really want a B8 avant but, you know, they are long gone and i'm just not a fan of the allroad, even though they are based on the same estate.

I've been struggling to find a replacement for my avant and looking elsewhere, but there really are no options that i'm in love with.
I've also been driving Audi avants for years...but my most recent hit the "implode like a dying star" phase of its life last winter and I needed to replace it quick.

Went with this and haven't looked back! The only thing it has in common with the Audi it replaced is a 6 speed manual transmission.

Last edited by 4Rings6Stars; 08-09-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:32 PM
DELETE ACCNT

congrats on the new truck. Tacos are obviously the king of compact pu's
I'm a Toyota truck guy too. My buddy has the same TRD 4x4 CC

I had a 4th gen 4Runner (same 4.0L V6 as the Taco), and am a Land Cruiser guy

I'm still looking for a sedan/wagon for my dd. but I'll admit the new gen of Audi's i'm not a fan of the interiors - pure touchscreens for everything + digi dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars View Post
I've also been driving Audi avants for years...but my most recent hit the "implode like a dying star" phase of its life last winter and I needed to replace it quick.

Went with this and haven't looked back! The only thing it has in common with the Audi it replaced is a 6 speed manual transmission.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
I was just wondering the other day what my S4 Avant B7, same color, would look like with those wheels on it. They are the Audi Rotor wheels, I believe. Are they 18 or 19 inch?

So does full retreat mean they're not even sending the A4 Allroad our way? Such a shame, but maybe the boom in wagon sales will get their attention.

An E63 wagon wouldn't be so bad!
19”.

I gather that the Allroad is the only wagon option, and may be discontinued. There is a rumor that the RS6 may come over, but very limited and $100k+...
Old 08-09-2019, 06:42 PM

Nice looking Tacoma. I have 2009 Tacoma TRD Offroad which is fine for transporting the bike to CX races but I'm a little tired of the 18-20 mpg, the A/C died and the dealer says $2k to replace the whole thing, and frankly it drives like a truck. Maybe the new ones are better. Looking for a 2018 CPO Alltrack S. 2018 was first yr with 6/72 warranty and Alltrack has the fake leather seats which clean up easier than cloth (I'm a bit of slob it seems). would love an allroad, 3 series or MB wagon but they are 1.5x the price and typically not CPO. Other option would be a new version Ridgeline but I would be afraid to get the bed dirty.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:10 PM

I too was intent on purchasing a manual Sportwagen/Alltrack but left the dealership with a MK7 GTI instead. Such a fun and competent daily driver that surprises with its practicality. I have one of those oddball Rivendells (60cm) with XXL chainstays that goes in easily with one wheel removed and a seat folded.

More impressively, the GTI fits four 18" rims/tires entirely within the hatch without requiring any seats to be lowered. That was something my Volvo XC60 couldn't even manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
On my short list if I decide to size up from the GTI.

Which might not happen, because I put another 58cm bike in the back with the front wheel on last night without any difficulty.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Tacos are obviously the king of compact pu's

I'm still looking for a sedan/wagon for my dd. but I'll admit the new gen of Audi's i'm not a fan of the interiors - pure touchscreens for everything + digi dash.

on point (1) above, disagree on two counts. first - there are no compact PU's any longer. todays taco is yesterdays tundra, size wise. second - having rented and driven all of the mid size pick-ups, i disagree that the taco rules the category, and i'm a toyota fan too...

on point 2 - as just posted elsewhere, check out the volvo

Old 08-10-2019, 12:06 AM
DELETE ACCNT

Last edited by pasadena; 08-10-2019 at 12:09 AM. Reason: why bother
Old 08-20-2019, 05:52 PM

Did someone say Audi was in full retreat from wagons/avants?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g2...-info-gallery/

Excited for this development, but the RS6 is a little rich for my cost of living here in SF. I hope this eventually gets them to trickle down and release and RS4 Avant, and an RS3 Avant....or even just a S3 Avant.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis View Post
Did someone say Audi was in full retreat from wagons/avants?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g2...-info-gallery/

Excited for this development, but the RS6 is a little rich for my cost of living here in SF. I hope this eventually gets them to trickle down and release and RS4 Avant, and an RS3 Avant....or even just a S3 Avant.
The wagon community is raving about the news. I have high hopes for a trickle down.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:22 PM
n - 1

I hope the trickle down is we get the Passat wagon here in the states. Golf All track is just a little small for 3 kids. In 6-sp manual please.