Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 06:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Which coast is Colorado on?
BUT anybody driving over to Moab to ride MTBs or up to Wyoming to look for some nice boots, with CO tags had BETTER not have any of anything in their car because they WILL get pulled over. I feel for the guy and the marijuana laws are completely dumb but.......

It's illegal to carry a auto-loader handgun in your car with a round in the chamber...when I go shoot with my kid, I unload the guns even tho guns are in his trunk...
Old 11-17-2017, 07:53 AM

This was a while ago, but I drove cross country with this guy once, trying to do it fast and driving around the clock, and I vividly remember him telling me that in Pennsylvania the speed limits were low, the fines were high, and the cops were aggressive.. that it was better to drive 55 mph than risk getting pulled over, esp. in the western part of the state. There must be Paceliners from those parts, I wonder if others have found this to be true.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:00 AM

PA and OH have very aggressive state police revenue generation units. More than +5 over and you're paying.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:51 AM

Side note:

If you are driving and don't have a radar detector, at least turn on Waze with alert. Chances are someone has reported the the speed traps ahead.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
This was a while ago, but I drove cross country with this guy once, trying to do it fast and driving around the clock, and I vividly remember him telling me that in Pennsylvania the speed limits were low, the fines were high, and the cops were aggressive.. that it was better to drive 55 mph than risk getting pulled over, esp. in the western part of the state. There must be Paceliners from those parts, I wonder if others have found this to be true.
ive never done it but i always assume this is the case in rural areas of "drive-through" states...im not a speeder by nature (always owned 15-20 y/o cars that i like to go easy on...) anyhow but ive been caught in a speed trap enough times (once) to learn my lesson.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:42 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
PA and OH have very aggressive state police revenue generation units. More than +5 over and you're paying.
They are. But, after having spoken to some OSHP troopers, they told me anything less than 8 over the limit, they don't really care too much unless it's a construction area. Active especially. But they did say outta state plates or cars with no front plates get special attention. Ohio has front plates.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:00 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
ive never done it but i always assume this is the case in rural areas of "drive-through" states...im not a speeder by nature (always owned 15-20 y/o cars that i like to go easy on...) anyhow but ive been caught in a speed trap enough times (once) to learn my lesson.
I've driven a fair amount of miles through many states in the Mtn West and Great Plains and some in western part of the Midwest...all what would probably be regarded as 'drive through' states for most people...and have never encountered a stereotypical speed trap, although the State Police in IL are pretty aggressive towards speeders. My sense is that speed traps are much more common in the East and South, though I may well be wrong on that.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Everything is connected

Jefferson County is about two hours North of Pittsburgh and Interstate 80 runs through the county...I80 a main drug corridor between NYC and Chicago...no toll booths in PA on I80 so runners avoid the PA Turnpike (I76) and use I80. State Troopers are always on patrol and the speed limit for the majority of the road is 70, so he must have been cookin' to be pulled over.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:14 PM

??

I feel strongly that drug laws need to change-

But I feel mixed about this event.

1.) He was aware of the "current laws".
2.) Had a kid in the car?
3.) Out of state plates?
Why not take precautions? Either throw the stuff a away or at least put it in a real gummy worms bag?

Drug laws
1.) Make it all legal
2.) Let all non violent drug offenders out of prison
3.) Put the $ that goes into enforcement into rehab and "junkie" programs
4.) Let heroin addicts legally get their fix like they used to do in the UK. Heroin was legal in the UK until 1974.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:56 PM
Everything is connected

I re-read the first part of the thread and it states that he was headed from NY back to CA when the PA State Trooper stopped him. So he must have left CA with the meds, drove cross country to NY, then drove cross country again from NY to CA...that's pretty risky. 15mph over the speed limit here lands you in jail for reckless driving too...$5,000 bond.

FWIW, PA's medical marijuana law took effect on 01 November 2017 so perhaps that will help your friend's case. Also, some shaped edibles will be illegal in CA in January and they are now illegal in CO.

Last edited by rwsaunders; 11-17-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:57 PM

The main topic of this discussion aside, PA is notorious for speed traps flanked by local as well as state police, depending on jurisdiction/locale.

I never go thru without my Valentine 1 detector on full tilt sensitive alert. Has saved my hyde on numerous occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 PM

Wow, this thread is a garbagepile of people trying to rationalize irrational, misapplication of laws.

And don't gimme that "law is the law" trash. Law is gendered, racialized, classed etc etc. Think for half a second and you'll come up with some ways in which the law is legally applied and makes *no* sense. Do I need to remind you how many Black folks are incarcerated in the States? Do you think that's an accident, a moral failing on the part of millions of individuals?

Amazing and disappointing to see this amount of dispassionate pearl-clutching against a very simple crowdfunding campaign.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:22 PM

i need to get baked after reading 5 pages of this thread someone plz paypal me some cash
Old 11-18-2017, 10:16 AM
Everything is connected

fmm...did you give to the fund?
Old 11-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
i need to get baked after reading 5 pages of this thread someone plz paypal me some cash
Sorry man, I just spent my last dollar on munchies.