Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Administrator

with all due respect to you sales guy, these bikes could not have been packed properly.

for a high end frame with boutique parts (RD cant be removed!?!), a hard case should have been used for transport with the bike well secured inside.

we all know how these things go. it's a big box and they get moved around hastily. they are going to get tossed about, and if you pack in cardboard that can get crushed, dented and ripped, it will happen eventually.

for the average dude who is shipping his used cannondale to a new buyer - this rant is absolutely warranted.

for someone in the industry, who has started THREE individual threads about how much fedex sucks, it's time to ensure that anything that leaves your shop, or is shipped back to it is properly packed, OR just accept some losses/insurance claims.

sorry, but just my opinion.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
Can't pull the derailleur on this. It has a hydraulic line to the derailleur. It bends and kinks the hose or rips it out of the derailleur like it did on the way out.

I used a travel case on the way out to RBA and back. FedEx even with a travel case dented the downtube, bent the hanger and pulled the actual dropout out.
Maybe I'm missing something, but if it was in a hard sided travel case and secured properly inside, how could you get anything near this level of damage with out them flat out destroying the case?
Old 11-13-2017, 02:17 PM

RD really cannot be removed, wrapped properly and secured to inside of the seat stay or chain stay?

Hanger can't be removed so no risk of bending and a correctly spaced plastic or wood insert placed between dropouts?

I don't see how it's possible for handlebars to get scratched if the bike was properly packed.

I've learned the hard way by not being as careful packing stuff for myself or friends.

Lots of ways to skin a cat, but none of the better ones seem to be used here. Couldn't be with the resulting photos. It sucks, but whoever packed the frame bears the responsibility, in my opinion.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:38 PM
Proud Grandpa

NOT taking sides but how was it packed? Sometimes no amount of packing will prevent damage(yup, those were tire tracks on box, true story)...but this stuff has to be package smasher, proof.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Can't pull the derailleur on this.
that will be a major problem for Rotor.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Administrator

That sucks!

Time to get serious...

I Kid...a little. When I was managing a company producing large carved/etched glass panels for art installations or architectural signage crating was the only way to go. Purpose build for the panels, sometimes large crates, and sometimes smaller ones built to attach to a pallet standing so that nothing could be placed on top of it. For shipping your bikes around as much as you do, and considering how much damage you've sustained already, I would look into a dedicated shipping crate made from tough composite/plastic material. Something a bit more substantial than your average travel bike case and much better than your average bike box.

Costs a bit more up front but at least your gear has a better chance of making it in one piece.

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ship.jpg (73.8 KB, 268 views)
Old 11-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
for someone in the industry, who has started THREE individual threads about how much fedex sucks, it's time to ensure that anything that leaves your shop, or is shipped back to it is properly packed
I'd agree. these are high end bikes that you're shipping off for reviews; they're expensive and important. I'd also imagine that your employer/manager/etc is probably sick of it at this point and doesn't want to hear about how much FedEx/UPS suck. they want their bikes to arrive safe and sound and represent their company as well as possible. bikes get shipped all over the world every day. why do yours keep getting damaged?

absolutely no offense intended. and I'm not implying you're incompetent or something. just saying in my opinion it's time to figure out a solution.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
with all due respect to you sales guy, these bikes could not have been packed properly.

for a high end frame with boutique parts (RD cant be removed!?!), a hard case should have been used for transport with the bike well secured inside.

we all know how these things go. it's a big box and they get moved around hastily. they are going to get tossed about, and if you pack in cardboard that can get crushed, dented and ripped, it will happen eventually.

for the average dude who is shipping his used cannondale to a new buyer - this rant is absolutely warranted.

for someone in the industry, who has started THREE individual threads about how much fedex sucks, it's time to ensure that anything that leaves your shop, or is shipped back to it is properly packed, OR just accept some losses/insurance claims.

sorry, but just my opinion.
This is really the long and short of it. You know how they're going to treat your packages. The only things you can do are pack better or start hand delivering.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Small ring

Quote:
I took plenty of pictures packed and when it arrived.

It was shifted to the 28. All the way up.
Good luck with the claim, sounds like you tried. You really have had a streak of bad luck.

You may want to invest in something like an AirCaddy. They are not foolproof (ask jmoore), but so far I have had good luck with mine. I may have more to say if my bike arrives damaged tomorrow

It really sucks to have something like that happen, especially to a zoot bike. I truly hope you come up with a solution. A custom crate or three based off an AirCaddy may be what you need. A bespoke bike crate may pay for itself in a short time.

Maybe an enterprising Paceliner can come up with an AirCaddy upgrade product? I'd pay good money for a custom case that would hold up on a UPS/FDX truck and require little assembly upon arrival. As a retired UPS driver, and someone who ships his personal bike on occasion, I would be happy to consult.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Administrator

It won't be cheap, but I bet it would be a one time expense...

Custom Pelican cases...
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/pro/custom-cases/

William
Old 11-13-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
It won't be cheap, but I bet it would be a one time expense...

Custom Pelican cases...
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/pro/custom-cases/

William
Difficult for a bike seller unless you also pay for the buyer's return shipping for the case. And dimensions/weight may incur additional shipping costs.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Difficult for a bike seller unless you also pay for the buyer's return shipping for the case. And dimensions/weight may incur additional shipping costs.
That's true, but one must weigh the cost/benefit ratio. So far getting new rides to shows has been problematic for the OP. You are screwed when it shows up damaged. Look at all the options and determine what makes the best sense to consistently get your goods to the destination in one piece. Too many hours wrapped up in your show pieces to rely on just duct tape and cardboard with FedX and UPS involved.

William
Old 11-13-2017, 03:42 PM

Regarding the RD - I thought I read somewhere that the hydraulic lines on the Rotor kit were one use only. If that's the case, I'd probably avoid removing the RD to ship as well...

That said, the group is basically trash now. I'll take the cassette!
Old 11-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Small ring

My understanding is that most, if not all of these damages have occurred with bikes sent for review or show, not to the end consumer? Am I wrong?

The bikes are being sent as assembled as possible, not broken down. Am I confused, as usual?
Old 11-13-2017, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
My understanding is that most, if not all of these damages have occurred with bikes sent for review or show, not to the end consumer? Am I wrong?

The bikes are being sent as assembled as possible, not broken down. Am I confused, as usual?
That's what I'm commenting on.

William