Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2019, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bironi View Post
What prompted the resuscitation of this oldie?
No kidding since the 'oldman' post about gluing tubies(3-4 DAYS to glue on ONE tire???) is so inaccurate...2003, before my time or else...
Old 02-23-2019, 07:41 AM

Adding fuel to be fire.....here is a pic of my clincher flatted and worn tires and tubes that have collected over the last few years: if you look closely, you’ll notice no tubs in there
Old 02-23-2019, 08:02 AM

Well, this thread has me considering switching to tubs. I haven't had them since the 80's when I raced and it was a bit of a pain with the gluing etc, but at that time I was working full time, dealing with kids, etc. but now that I'm retired I have plenty of time to deal with it and my rides now are just for fun and fitness.

Someone please tell me glueing doesn't take 3-4 days!??
Old 02-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Well, this thread has me considering switching to tubs. I haven't had them since the 80's when I raced and it was a bit of a pain with the gluing etc, but at that time I was working full time, dealing with kids, etc. but now that I'm retired I have plenty of time to deal with it and my rides now are just for fun and fitness.

Someone please tell me glueing doesn't take 3-4 days!??
Of course not, that's ridiculous
again, here and assuming a pre stretched tubular..cut off beer can for tube of glue(about 2 per tire, maybe a little less) and solvent brush..drink beer first.

PLUS my favorite glue is Panaracer.. a can of it is the best..doesn't dry out like can of Vittoria, but Pana cans hard to find..I just use tubes. USE in well ventilated area or you will 'take a trip without leavin' the farm''..

Emory paper on rim, and on tire(new rim and tire)..wipe off with acetone.

Wee bit of air in tubular..most will 'turn' 90 degrees.

THIN coats, edge to edge.
-Glue the tire-thin coat
-immediately glue the rim
-then glue the tire(no, don't wait a day-dumm)
-then glue the rim
-then glue the tire..NOW wait until glue on tire is sticky to your finger(about 20 minutes)..then
-Glue the rim, and then mount the DEFLATED tire(rim on ground, valve in hole..push, push, push down each side on sidewalls)..pull onto rim..never touching glued part.
-wee bit of air again, center tire..
-roll on ground, pushing down hard..particularly at valve.

-Wait- 24 hours, go ride.

Not messy, glue isn't everywhere..if it is, a wee bit of acetone to clean up.
Been doing it this way for over 30 years and have never had a tire roll..

Old 02-23-2019, 08:17 AM

I typically glue a set on new rims in a day, probably takes a total of 2 hours max. to glue and mount, tire, rim, tire, rim, tire, rim, mount. Three thin coats each, let dry between first two coats, mount when last coat on tire is barely tacky. Less if previously glued. IMHO, others may do differently.

Ready to ride next day.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:54 AM

Potatoe glues them on even harder then I do. I do it the same way just one less step. I also like cans of Mastik One. Tubular glue is a contact cement. So you want both glues surfaces to dry out a bit before you mount them. I do one coat on the rim, one coat on the tire to soak into the base tape, one on rim only if necessary then another on the base tape to layer it up. Let the tire and the rim sit for 15-20 minutes and mount. If you apply masking tape to the edge of the rim you can avoid a mess.

You definitely don't need to do this over the course of days. In fact you really don't even need to wait 24 hours. I always give it 'over night' but many times I have mounted on Friday night and raced on Saturday. Honestly right after you mount them you could ride them like your life depended on it. Even a pre-glued spare tire has an incredible amount of grip.

Always best to be on the safe side though.

For Cyclocross wheels I'll glue them on even harder.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:24 AM

All due respect to oldpotatoe, his method is way over kill for me too, unless maybe it was for cyclocross.

On either a clean rim, or a rim with some old glue residue, I spread on about 2/3 a tube of rim cement (usually continental brand), then use toes over rim method to pull the tire on (NO pre-glue on the tire), inflate a little bit, straighten in out, inflate to full pressure and let dry over night. Never had a tubular role in 20+ years, and have had some that were still a bear to get off the rim when worn out!
Old 02-24-2019, 08:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
All due respect to oldpotatoe, his method is way over kill for me too, unless maybe it was for cyclocross.

On either a clean rim, or a rim with some old glue residue, I spread on about 2/3 a tube of rim cement (usually continental brand), then use toes over rim method to pull the tire on (NO pre-glue on the tire), inflate a little bit, straighten in out, inflate to full pressure and let dry over night. Never had a tubular role in 20+ years, and have had some that were still a bear to get off the rim when worn out!
I get it but I was gluing on tires for customers and best way to kill your tubie tire rep than have one roll. If the rim has some residdual glue on it, yup, less glue. But, as I mentioned, really thin coats..so thin that I'd bet you couldn't even tell the first coat on the tire was even there. Solvent brush..
Old 02-24-2019, 09:29 AM

Yeah if I glue one on for a friend who wants to dabble in tubulars then he's gonna have a hell of a time getting it off
Old 02-24-2019, 09:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Yeah if I glue one on for a friend who wants to dabble in tubulars then he's gonna have a hell of a time getting it off
Carry this. Paint can opener..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 079423464553.jpg (7.9 KB, 91 views)
Old 02-24-2019, 10:00 AM

I just switched to tubies this winter and went with a similar method to the spud. Those tires are not going anywhere and I am certainly going to have a hard time getting them off on the side of the road lol.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:47 AM

I use to ride tubulars, they're not intimidating just a hassle, and takes more time, and fixing a flat takes longer if you've used your spare tubular or trying to fix it at home, flats is one of the reasons most people just buy a new tubular after a flat but I'm cheap and never did that, I fixed all flats until the tire was worn out or somehow got damaged beyond repair. I once had to fix a flat on the side of the road because I went through my TWO spares which took about 45 minutes to do, so I always carried a needle, wax thread, small exacto knife, and of course patches and glue; todays tubs are better than the ones I had to use 40 some odd years ago in regard to flat protection. The other issue with tubs as some have pointed out, at least for me it was an issue, is that I liked to ride in the mountains at the time, and once a tub had to be replace I then had to be very careful going around turns and slow way down as not to roll the tub off the rim; now if all you'll be riding on is straight roads then not too much of an issue there.

Replacing a tub on the road is a bit faster then fixing a clincher flat, this is true, but again you have the handling issue afterwards. If you read what others have said it does take some time and preparation to get the tub prepared to be mounted on a rim, and if you do it wrong you could roll the tire off the rim while cornering. However if you flat your spare tub then its a lot more work to fix then clinchers.

Of the three types I mentioned tubs are the least reliable, followed by clinchers then lastly tubeless tires. NOTE: some people will disagree with tubs being less flat resistant, I rode on tubs for about 12 years and that was my experience, as well as those I rode with, HOWEVER that was back in the mid 70's to the mid 80's and tubs have improved significantly in the flat protection department due to kevlar being introduced, so I don't have any recent experiences with them, but the reliability issue will be in the initial gluing of the tub onto the rim and how well you do it.

While someone could argue that most pro riders use tubulars, you and I are not pros, we don't have a mechanic on standby that has professionally glued the tire onto the rim waiting to hand us a wheel tire combo when we flat. IF the tub is glued on correctly it's possible to ride it flat for a short ways. However pros are very conservative, and they don't want to try something new while racing only to have a failure and lose a race, so most so far have stayed with tubulars for that reason, however I believe once a team or two have done their experimentation with tubeless and they like them then these will take over the peloton; I would say in about 5 to 8 years most of the peloton will be on tubeless (of course this is a just a guessing about the future, but I think that's where it's headed).

In today's world I don't see a need for tubulars since now you can go tubeless which is a far better tire situation than tubs. Tubular tires flat less often then either clinchers and especially tubs; tubeless is quicker to fix a flat on the road then any other type of tire, however it does require that once you fixed it you have a pump that has enough blast of sudden air to bead the tire, also by using sealant small punctures will go unnoticed due to fast self healing as your ride; you can run lower psi so you'll get a more comfortable ride. I haven't embraced tubeless yet because all my stuff is on the clincher standard and it's been that way for 30 some odd years so I'm use to it, but someday I may buy tubeless rims and go that route on my Lynskey; but I'll never go back to tubulars for the same reason I will never go back to hot waxing my chains...to much time involved in the preparation, I don't see any Zen like qualities in doing long preparations just to ride my bike.

Last edited by froze; 02-24-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:41 AM

When i got to the US like 20+ years ago surprised me that I did not see even glue at the shops, then I came back to cycling like 15 years ago and was the same situation and I got forced to buy clinchers because the shop did not even know what a tubular was...

After two years and pretty much the same experience than tickdoc, whatever f.. clincher I put was getting flats, was ridiculous... when I noticed that the best clinchers were like 100 bucks a pop, I had to start buying tubbies and do the switch back to tubulars... now I retire the tubulars before I have a flat. I do not get the expensive tubulars either, but for what I pay i give myself the luxury of trashing them before I get a flat. My costs IMO are way lower to maintain even If I have to trash them because i do not use more than 3 per season... I got glue in cans in a super deal at ebay... got the maintanance cost even lower and the other thing is that got friends give me unused glue for free aswell...

Then you talk about rims, since tubulars are scary? you can find rims for good price aswell... and between you and me... i do not even have a pump and the 2 times I remember had a flat like 5 miles from home I rode flat... tyre was ready to be toasted anyways, did not even put the spare, went straight flat home, the rim was still perfect... off course you have to know how to do it too...you cant do that with a clincher rim, wont last a mile w/o getting a dent.

Now I have like three 27s that probably will have like 2 or 5 more rides before I retire them to be spares or just trash them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Adding fuel to be fire.....here is a pic of my clincher flatted and worn tires and tubes that have collected over the last few years: if you look closely, you’ll notice no tubs in there