Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalax View Post
I got a set of the Gravel Grinder TLR from BTD last fall and FWIW they were easy to install tubeless and ride well. They are on a set of WTB Chris Cross rims (19mm id) where they measure a little over 39mm wide. I also had the tubed version which was trouble free. Both versions seem to wear fast though.

I've also heard that the Strada Bianche were hard to install in the non tubeless version as well. It's unfortunate that their QC appears to be a challenge.
Good to know. Thanks! They look like a nice all round tire for mixed conditions.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:53 AM

I’ve paid for two pair of Challenge tires. First was a set of Pais Roubaix 27mm tires. They rode beautifully but I’ve never in my life had that many flats and they grew to 33mm and would not fit on the bike they were bought for after a few hundred miles. The second was a pair of Almonzo that lasted under 200 miles before the tread separated from the casing 50 miles into a 80 mile gravel ride. I have zero interest in taking another chance with their high dollar tires.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 PM
aka RAEKWON

Because some might think (and tbh I did think it may be the rim, you just never know) and I think that is fair.... I don't want to talk about challenge tires and then being the rim that is the culprit. Well, I had had no problems mounting gravel kings to it but wanted to try yet another tire to see how easy it would be.

I just got in the mail a specialized roubaix pro 2bliss (well was suppose to get 2 but the ebay shop decided I only needed one ).

Put the tire on, tube on, pumped to max pressure, beads clicked on. Bead line absolutely perfect on both sides. This took me a few minutes to achive... I did it on the rim with 2 layers of tape (going to 2 layer my other rim too because that is how I like it but took 1 layer off thinking it was that and not the challenge tire).

So all in all, pretty disapointed with challenge. I don't think I will be buying their tires anymore. I was excited to try it as this is a brand new tire but btw them not mounting properly, the threads starting to come out just mounting the tire and sealant was spraying and leaking all over the place (maybe cuz bead would not mount but who knows). I don;t want to waste my time mounting tires, ever again... 3 hours of my life that I could be riding the damn bike
Old 02-22-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Because some might think (and tbh I did think it may be the rim, you just never know) and I think that is fair.... I don't want to talk about challenge tires and then being the rim that is the culprit. Well, I had had no problems mounting gravel kings to it but wanted to try yet another tire to see how easy it would be.

I just got in the mail a specialized roubaix pro 2bliss (well was suppose to get 2 but the ebay shop decided I only needed one ).

Put the tire on, tube on, pumped to max pressure, beads clicked on. Bead line absolutely perfect on both sides. This took me a few minutes to achive... I did it on the rim with 2 layers of tape (going to 2 layer my other rim too because that is how I like it but took 1 layer off thinking it was that and not the challenge tire).

So all in all, pretty disapointed with challenge. I don't think I will be buying their tires anymore. I was excited to try it as this is a brand new tire but btw them not mounting properly, the threads starting to come out just mounting the tire and sealant was spraying and leaking all over the place (maybe cuz bead would not mount but who knows). I don;t want to waste my time mounting tires, ever again... 3 hours of my life that I could be riding the damn bike
With you here.

Tubeless is to the point that you shouldn't be spending any more effort than pushing the beads on the rim, adding air, adding sealant and riding.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:43 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
With you here.

Tubeless is to the point that you shouldn't be spending any more effort than pushing the beads on the rim, adding air, adding sealant and riding.
Exactly. I know these will go easy in tubeless. I just always put a tube in to seat 1 bead trick before tubelessing.

Awwwww, all is good in the world again