Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2019, 06:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
This just makes me think that some people have no real recent experience with tubulars or never really gave them a try.

Dont get me wrong I understand how people feel this way, I feel the same way, but I feel that way about clinchers.

I dont really know anything about clinchers, so to me buying, mounting and using them looks to be a PAIN. All the guys I ride with have WAY more issues with their clinchers that I ever do, so I just look at them and think why, why would you put up with that, what a pain.

Im not here to convert anyone to Tubulars, it would just be nice if some of the false info was but to bed. Like ........

First off I flat way way less that my clinchers buddies, when I do have an issue 1 or 2 things happen. 1 its sealed up on it own in a split second and I might never know it happened. 2 its worse, so I pull over and use Pit Stop to fix the leak and air it up at the same time, Im back going again before my clincher buddy even has his tire off. I keep riding that same tire until its dead, there is no reason to change the tire when I get home.

Also why does everyone think tubular tires are $$$, you can by the very best for $50 - $60 delivered to your door. Are the best clinchers and tubes that much less ???

Also why do people think tubulars, the whole process, stretching and gluing and waiting, and the tires themselves where stuck back in the late 70's or 80's ??? And that only clinchers have improved ???

Its confusing

well said..lotsa of old, misinformation out there. I see NO compelling reason to use tubeless or clinchers.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:59 AM

Rim brakes and tubulars are sooooooo bad. And so last decade. I'll take them off your hands for cheap
Old 02-23-2019, 09:07 AM
Randomhead

to be fair, clinchers had a lot more room to improve. What has improved about tubulars since then? Going away from silk?
Old 02-23-2019, 09:26 AM

Tubulars are not popular. Oh well. I don't care. Getting ready for Roubaix.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:02 PM

Not for Me, Thanks

I am a bike snob and thought about trying tubular tires in the future, but such a switch would not make sense for my use case IMO: non-professional road enthusiast.

Last edited by grognaak; 02-23-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by grognaak View Post
I am a bike snob and thought about trying tubular tires in the future, but such a switch would not make sense for my use case IMO: non-professional road enthusiast.
I'm old, fat,and slow and I still have 4-5 sets of tubulars. 1 is exclusively for gravel riding.

There's a difference in the ride that's just magical

M
Old 02-23-2019, 01:34 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
If you're a true bike snob, then you owe it to yourself to try tubbies and dancing bananas.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:29 PM

I switched to tubulars about 5 years ago. I should have tried them sooner. I won’t ever go back to clinchers. Tubulars are superior to clinchers in so many ways.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:26 PM

Paceline, the kind of place where people who drink single malt try to convince you it's better than Bordeaux (or Bourbon).
Old 02-23-2019, 03:40 PM
Member?

Quote:
True bike snobs ride nothing but tubulars!
Old 02-23-2019, 06:06 PM
Randomhead

I don't think you can really call yourself a bike snob if you don't ride tubulars. Don't words have meaning anymore?
Old 02-24-2019, 03:23 AM

I'm a snob??? Did not know that

Tubulars are popular between the people that knows better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
True bike snobs ride nothing but tubulars!
Old 02-24-2019, 04:30 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I have gone several sets of tires without a flat. My only secrets are to make sure the tires are inflated correctly and inspecting them for glass etc. after rides. It's a touring bike and a tandem so it has Continental Gatorskins. I have ridden the same tires in Louisiana, Maryland, Arkansas, Michigan, Netherlands and France.
Ok but gatorskins are not tires, they are garden hoses. Probably one of the worst ridding tires out there. Sure they dont flat but they ride so bad I rather take the flat every once in a while to be honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Ahhgeez, it's not ugly if you do it right.

Yup, some of the BS about the really simple task of gluing on a tubie is amazing..I've read about a Armstrong mechanic(Julian Devries..SP?), that took 3-4 days to glue on one set of tires..really silly.

Tubies have real advantages. Most who whine about them have have never used, or glued..and if they had, it was 3 decades ago.

There is another thread here about ANOTHER wee 'horror' story about tubeless, the mess, the goop everywhere, the big cut in tire, gotta call for help..etc..see this quite often here and on other bikie forums. So gotta wonder why mess with tubeless..MTB, you betcha, road bike..
You say people that dont like tubulars because they never tried them but have you ever tried tubeless?
Old 02-24-2019, 08:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
to be fair, clinchers had a lot more room to improve. What has improved about tubulars since then? Going away from silk?
Ya know, the people that make clinchers also make tubulars..as the clinchers improve, so do the tubulars..along with the other advantages of tubulars already mentioned that the basic design of the clincher cannot duplicate.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Ok but gatorskins are not tires, they are garden hoses. Probably one of the worst ridding tires out there. Sure they dont flat but they ride so bad I rather take the flat every once in a while to be honest

You say people that dont like tubulars because they never tried them but have you ever tried tubeless?
In the shop we had a few MOOTS demos that were road tubeless(and Disc brake too-YIKES)...rode one for a day..a great big 'meh' when compared to my Vamoots with tubulars(and rim brakes...)..BTW-I set that bike up..wasn't impossible(we had a compressor)...but certainly no easier than gluing on a tubular...goop and all..BUT the 'ride' wasn't all oooo-ahhh, stars, roses, and a rainbow breaking thru the clouds...