Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2019, 07:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I think I was close enough to my house that I didn't feel like fussing with it at the time. It helped that the MRB was sitting on a hook waiting to be ridden.

I like a plush, but responsive ride. I am definitely not performance driven.
I just like to ride nice bikes and occasionally challenge myself with some climbs or longer mileage.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I hear ya.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:59 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Maybe cuz we see here big and small 'stories', good and often bad, about the pitfalls and difficulty of tubeless..Both setup and maintenance..like the OPs..
"new" system will have its pitfalls but I think its pretty flushed out (still needs work). The good things outweight the bad things imo. When it works its wonderful and you don't have to touch it for miles on end, when it does not work, sure it can be frustrating.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
"new" system will have its pitfalls but I think its pretty flushed out (still needs work). The good things outweight the bad things imo. When it works its wonderful and you don't have to touch it for miles on end, when it does not work, sure it can be frustrating.
There is also a reporting bias here. The people who have tubeless systems working well don't report it because they are busy riding and not worrying about their equipment. We don't hear about your run of the mill tubed flat because those are so common as to be uninteresting.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Tubeless has been around for about 15 years...
Old 02-23-2019, 08:36 AM

Humorous but insightful look at road tubeless - GPLama
https://youtu.be/JzOebWnHtNI
Old 02-23-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Not sure what caused the OPs failure (though I too don't think it was just temperature differential), but for me, tubeless has been issue free for the past several years. This is everything from 28mm tires on up to 4.8" fatties, from 100F to subzero, paved to chunky steep singletrack, fast pacelines to leisurely cruises with the fam. I just don't worry or even think about my tires anymore. Air pressure check before the ride, sealant check once or twice a year. Other than that, i just ride. I'm pretty sure that the spare tube I carry "just in case" is probably rotted and non-functional at this point.

I have a box of flatted tubes in need of a patch that suggests it wasn't always this way.

That's one data point on the advantages of tubeless.
So, never talk about how great your tires are doing unless you want them to not be doing great.

Fat bike tire was flat this morning. That said, the bead didn't unseat, so I pulled the valve core, cleaned it, added a couple ounces of sealant, reaired, and off I went. Pretty sure it was a goopy valve core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKev View Post
Yes, this happens to me on my fat bike.

So, if moving from warm to cold, I air up, then drop before the ride....or acclimate the bike outside first.

When it has been very cold this year, the fattie dropped from like 4-5psi down to literally 1/2. While the traction was unreal, it was extremely energy consuming to pedal.

I am using Stans this winter, which is when this phenomena started happening. I may switch back to Orange Seal for next winter as I don't remember having the same issue.

Ride on!

Is this one-half psi of pressure, or 1 or 2 psi? Without having the time to do the PV= nrT calculation, is it possible that just the temperature change from an indoor bike room (say, 70F) to 10F could drop the pressure from 4 to 2?
Old 02-24-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post

I had a similar problem getting the beads of a used set of tires to snap out to the sides, even using an air compressor. I had a blow nozzle that could output a pretty good flow rate and used it with the valve core removed. What you need is volume. The tire inflator chucks I had were flow restricted and couldn't put out the needed flow rate. The Compass tires I had the bead was definitely stretched over what they were new. They still made the snapping noise when they finally seated though, so I don't think they are unsafe to use.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:40 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Tubeless has been around for about 15 years...
road tubeless has not been around for 15 years. Much more pressure making for different pitfalls.

And as far as tubeless, MTB seems to all be mostly tubeless with not much complaining.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:50 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
he is wrong about using a tube to get 1 bead on and then getting the other bead on, not working. That is ALWAYS how I set up my tubeless tires. I actually never been lucky to just put the tire on and get it to pump up (I don't have a compressor but do have one of those air can things where you pump em in and then have it release a bunch of air in).

My other trick, specially on older tires is to use a tube to seat one bead, then using a tire lever pop the second bead on as much as you can, you can probably get it in 3/4ths and then hit it with the pump
Old 02-25-2019, 07:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
road tubeless has not been around for 15 years. Much more pressure making for different pitfalls.

And as far as tubeless, MTB seems to all be mostly tubeless with not much complaining.
How about 89 years??
Quote:
Many patents had been filed covering tubeless tires. Killen Tire applied for a patent in 1928 and was granted GB patent 329955 in the UK in 1930. The Wingfoot Corporation, a subsidiary of Goodyear Tire were granted a patent in South Africa in 1944
2006...ok 13 years..seems like you were the one complaining about your tubeless Challenges.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-25-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:11 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
How about 89 years??

2006...ok 13 years..seems like you were the one complaining about your tubeless Challenges.
nope, I was complaining about Challenge... nothing to do with tubeless. My problems were from throwing a tube in and not being able to get the bead to go in.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
How about 89 years??

Quote:
Many patents had been filed covering tubeless tires. Killen Tire applied for a patent in 1928 and was granted GB patent 329955 in the UK in 1930. The Wingfoot Corporation, a subsidiary of Goodyear Tire were granted a patent in South Africa in 1944
And yet, even today, motorcycles and aircraft haven't completely moved to tubeless, either.