Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 06:29 PM

2019 Venge/best price!

Found and ordered. Look hard guys, there are deals are to be had. Thanks.

Last edited by WESTMOTORSPORTS; 02-23-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:09 PM

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Specialized places restrictions on shipping framesets out-of-state. They are trying to limit competition in their dealership network by enforcing strict rules regarding shipping and pricing.

Did you actually ask the shop for a catalog or if you could order the frameset you want? Maybe try going in and speaking with a manager? If you're that put off by their attitude, then I would go to the Specialized website and find their dealers list and then call/email dealers within your state. See if they will order and ship a frame to you. I suspect it will be nearly impossible to score a discount on an ordered 2019 frameset...
Old 02-21-2019, 07:25 PM

There may not be a dealer within driving distance that has one in stock, but every dealer within driving distance can get you one. What is the big deal?
Old 02-21-2019, 07:32 PM

I keep having the same experience with the local Specialized dealer here and ended up driving to another town to get the bike I wanted. It has frustrated me to the point that I don't think twice about buying online instead supporting them.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:36 PM

The "big deal" sounds like the shop person lacked motivation to inquire about the customer's needs and generate a sale.
Maybe they were just very tired, but it sounds like laziness.
And I wouldn't hesitate to negotiate for a discount on merchandise that the shop doesn't have to risk inventorying. Your patience deserves a bit of compensation as well.
And I sure wouldn't hesitate to reconsider what brand(s) I was considering buying under the circumstances.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:21 PM

thanks

Last edited by WESTMOTORSPORTS; 02-23-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:05 PM

It sounds like you walked in and expected a large discount because you know what you want/need. When I worked at a shop we wouldn’t give a discount to one customer that we wouldn’t give everyone.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 PM

Few years ago I looked at a new tarmac and it was an in-store purchase only. No shipping. Things might have changed since?

As much a commodity as one might think it is, Spec. seems to run a pretty tight ship when it comes to controlling pricing and distribution at the retail level . They preserve brand integrity. At end of day I wasn't about to pay 5+ grand for off the shelf frame, as great a frame as it is.

Most guys I know that ride their top shelf offerings use em for a couple years then get the new ones +more often than not as team bikes). I just wait for the hand-me-downs.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTMOTORSPORTS View Post
I know what I want/need and am only looking for best price and availability....you don't need to "sell" me, educate me, or even see me in person, just a simple transaction, take my order, order from Specialized, ship it to me, and make a fast profit.... can I please have tracking number? Does anyone have a contact or lead for me?
Perhaps you haven't done as much research on Specialized bikes as might have. In regards to "best price", Specialized has very strict price controls, so the price will be the same, regardless of who you buy it from. And in regard to "ship it to me," Specialized does not allow their bikes to be shipped to customers - you'll have to pick it up in person from an authorized dealer. Perhaps the dealer realized that you had unrealistic expectations.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:38 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTMOTORSPORTS View Post
When I ask for help and am given advice and direction on a purchase, I gladly reward the salesman by paying a fair price. The barter was the cost of the product and his time/advice has a value that equals the price I am going to pay. That is the fundamental exchange between salesmen and customer. On the other hand, when you know exactly what you want and are only interested in acquiring what you need, there is definitely a different expectation on price. On top of that, if the shop doesn't have the item in stock and is only brokering the item, I sometimes feel entitled to negotiate a better price. Ultimately, it is up to the shop to place a value on "their" time spent on a given transaction. While the salesman could spend 15 minutes to sell a $5.00 tube, he could just as easily have made $500.00 profit for the same 15 minutes selling a Venge frameset over the phone. I am happy to get a fair deal, but the salesman is happy to make an easy sale.
this does not make any sense I am sorry. So wait, because they are not helping you out you have to pay less? hmmm. When you go to the local super market, and you ring your own stuff up, does the price go down? I know its not the best analogy but I think you have some expectations that are not in tune with reality.

You may be able to barter on a bike that has been sitting int he shop from last season and they want to get rid of it.... At first it seemed like the shop did not want to help you because they did not want to do any work but now it seems like you called them and told them what they needed and had to do for you and they are not having it.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:20 PM

That actually validates my experience, which happens to have been at a big SoCal Specialized dealer. They instead spruced up my older Tarmac with some replacement stuff and I kept the bike, with some healthy change remaining in pocket.

(It was one of those potential go-in-for-a-small-part, then leave-with-a-new-bike kind of visits/strolls.... ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Perhaps you haven't done as much research on Specialized bikes as might have. In regards to "best price", Specialized has very strict price controls, so the price will be the same, regardless of who you buy it from. And in regard to "ship it to me," Specialized does not allow their bikes to be shipped to customers - you'll have to pick it up in person from an authorized dealer. Perhaps the dealer realized that you had unrealistic expectations.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
It sounds like you walked in and expected a large discount because you know what you want/need. When I worked at a shop we wouldn’t give a discount to one customer that we wouldn’t give everyone.
Agreed. You make it sound like the shop doesn’t want your business. I’ll bet from their perspective you might have been a pushy customer walking in expecting them to violate their retailer agreement for a measly $500.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:34 PM

OK, I'll bite

What size and what model venge are you interested in?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:23 PM

I stopped in a local giant dealer here a few weeks ago, first time in the shop. Greeted by the salesman i told him i was just browsing. 3 minutes later he asks again what i am looking for, this is what follows:
Him: Are you looking for anything in particular?
Me: I was looking to see if you had any TCR or Defy models in stock.
Him: Ummmm no we just carry giant and some fuji.
Me:
Him: How much are you looking to spend?
Me: 2-3k
Him: oh wow we don’t have anything in that price range, our road bikes start at $650 and go up from there!
I left and will probably never go back there.

If LBSs want to survive they need to step up their game, especially with canyon and other mail order brands coming to the usa. Hire and train competent staff and sales will follow.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:44 AM

$500?

Reminds me of a guy I knew that wanted some Zipp wheels.

Here was his pitch to the shop (he wanted the shop to order them)-
"Do you want to make $50 for a phone call?"