Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
My old commute was through the woods on trails and on dirt roads so it was my old Litespeed Unicoi MTB with a Rixen&Kaul handlebar bag on a Klickfix mount and a seatpost mounted rack. My shopping or go to the beach bike is the Big Dummy.
Are the crank arms on that Litespeed crazy long for you or am I wackadoodle? They look like they're about to scrape the ground.

Last edited by reuben; 04-29-2024 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Are the crank arms on that Litespeed crazy long for you or am I wackadoodle? They look like they're about to scrape the ground.
Must be photo angle, they're 170mm Given the typical high BB of an old MTB, I have more clearance than on other bikes. But the pedals are wide so if I really leaned over maybe I'd catch an edge!
Old 04-29-2024, 06:13 PM
ZhugeLiang

Old 04-29-2024, 07:33 PM

As I suspected, PLers commute on much nicer bikes than I would ever subject to that treatment. I'd take a picture of my rusty winter commuter but I'm too lazy. For that matter, my summer commuter is not much better and is currently sitting crankless as I chase a persistent creak. For me, commuter = disposable frame, here in the salty northeast.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
Brompton T-line. Creaks like crazy, but for the weight savings - I deal with it.
I don't know much about the Brompton but I also don't need to save space where I live or use public transit with a bike. Does it fold up in that bag on the front or is that a storage pack?
Old 04-29-2024, 09:15 PM

Current Commuter

Old Commuter:
Old 04-29-2024, 09:31 PM

I use various bikes on my 2.5 mile commute to the elementary school that I teach at. In foul weather (unless the snow is deep enough to require the fat bike) I turn to my trusty Cannondale m700. I am the original owner— bought it in 1993 to bike across the USA. Photo shows a drop bar conversion, but I recently returned it to flat bar status.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0941.jpg (149.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3662.jpg (117.2 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by David in Maine; 04-29-2024 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:34 PM

Well commuting on a bike is just not an option for me. But I do have an errand bike I use in the small mountain town I live in. I'll also take it out for 20+ mile rides around the valley carrying a decent stash of DSLR gear while doing photography.

My choice as of a couple of years ago is this Azor Dutch bike. 8 speed IGH for plenty of gear range, oversized roller brakes for the hills, sprung Brooks saddle for luxury ride, dynamo front hub to power the front and rear lights. Full fenders, dress guard, and chain cover keeps all the water and snow slush off of you. Built in frame lock for the rear wheel and a 40 lb weight means no one is easily stealing it. Step through frame may be considered a women's frame in the U.S. but reality is that it's just a totally practical frame to mount when fully loaded, dressed in regular clothes, etc. Oh and the racks are rated for a lot of weight. The front rack is supported by mounts on the frame instead of the front wheel and do not effect handling at all. Plus it slides easily in and out of the mounts so can be removed in seconds.

I probably loose cool points when I ride this but it's better than any other errand bike I've had. It's just so practical and bombproof.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:29 AM

This is my commuter for 30 km one way.
The most important thing is the accommodation: warm, dry and close to me https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Old 04-30-2024, 06:14 AM

Trusty get me to the hospital bike for ~ 6 years now.
[IMG]IMG_1385 by Clyde the Pointer, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 04-30-2024, 06:32 AM

Not a very good pic but here’s another New Albion Privateer. I don’t commute anywhere any more but this is my errand runner and grocery gettter. Several years ago I used to commute along this street on a Specialized Langster. Fun bike but I had to carry everything on my back.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:00 AM

Here's my all-year, all-purpose bike for my car-free life. It started as a stock, black Surly Cross-Check in 2008 and is now a fixie, with a mechanical disc brake in front, generator hub and lights, fenders, Tubus rear rack with Walk basket, trailer hitch, 35-38 mm tires. I used spray.bike to give it its current look. The goal was a versatile minimum maintenance bike for living in a place with lots of road salt. And that it is. I've also taken it on overnight trips and done up to 100 mile rides. It's not a particularly fun bike, but I have plenty of other options for that.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:43 AM

MBK Ti Phantom Cross.

My foul weather, errand and casual rider. Mostly sees 5 mile round trips to the post office.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (152.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 04-30-2024, 12:18 PM

My commuter in its current form..... this week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4341erfreferq.jpg (113.6 KB, 63 views)
Old 04-30-2024, 01:02 PM

Twenty miles round trip to the poop plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plant.jpg (146.6 KB, 60 views)