Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Did you notice the custom stoker stem placement/construction? I'm guessing it is has fore-aft adjustment. I've never seen anything like that before. And that chainring! That's one seriously large pizza pie for crushing TT's. Only aesthetic complaint would be the rear derail. housing. Am guessing that is a retrofit of sorts, it is not typical English to have the housing look all over the place. That rig is ripe for e-tap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
No kidding on the tandem, our Paketa in TT dress is a lot like that except our Stoker stem comes from the seatpost rather than the top tube. We were turning 40ks in the low 50's on it. There's no problem with that design unless you are competing against it.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Very cool but I wonder about the torsional rigidity of that tandem. That's a long span for the stoker.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
That was my thought. Even aside from frame flex, having the stoker that far back is going to significantly affect handling except possibly for straight, flat. Looking at the gearing, this is TT machine, or maybe a "concept" bike. And that cable housing does look pretty goofy.

Last edited by marciero; 05-19-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Did you notice the custom stoker stem placement/construction? I'm guessing it is has fore-aft adjustment. I've never seen anything like that before. And that chainring! That's one seriously large pizza pie for crushing TT's. Only aesthetic complaint would be the rear derail. housing. Am guessing that is a retrofit of sorts, it is not typical English to have the housing look all over the place. That rig is ripe for e-tap.
I saw a similar setup on a custom Tiemeyer at Natz one year. The Tiemeyer had a machined clamp around the top tube and a vertical post that the stem clamped onto, providing some adjustment. It looks like the adjustment here is changing stem length, seems a little more solid than the clamp. I would be somewhat concerned about damaging the top tube with the clamp when standing, top tubes are notoriously thin. As far as Chainrings go, on a tandem 56 is the minimum or you aren't racing, you're just riding.