Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 08:13 AM

I don't get it.

You used a too wide tire on a mid strength rim against the listed info of the manufacturer. It failed, ok.

I think it's a plus for Velocity that they gave you a discount and pointed you to the proper rims.

I used them to build some 650b wheels and talked to them about my needs and uses and followed their guidance of how to build the wheels. Great guys to deal with and great products when used properly.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Randomhead

yes, it might not be the size of the rim so much as the design of the rim. Manufacturers vary the extrusion between various rims quite a bit depending on what they think they can get away with. Some are a lot stronger than others.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:39 AM

Rode a giant tire on a rim in what looks like crappy conditions And it wore out. And the company who made it is giving you a recommendation on the right rim to use and a discount on the next purchase.

I don't get the unhappiness. Stuff wears out. Stuff breaks.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:06 AM

Wow. The international standard for bicycle tires and rims is ETRTO, and people have been complaining that the ETRTO compatibility standards are too narrow - and yet, Velocity's compatibility standard are even narrower than ETRTO.

Here's the ETRTO tire and rim width compatibility chart:

The Aeroheat rim has in inner width of 18.3mm, and according to the ETRTO chart, it should be compatible with tires from 28mm to 52mm. And yet, Velocity claims that this rim is compatible with tires only up to 38mm.

I wonder why Velocity has is having trouble meeting the international standard that everyone else meets?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Wow. The international standard for bicycle tires and rims is ETRTO, and people have been complaining that the ETRTO compatibility standards are too narrow - and yet, Velocity's compatibility standard are even narrower than ETRTO.

Here's the ETRTO tire and rim width compatibility chart:

The Aeroheat rim has in inner width of 18.3mm, and according to the ETRTO chart, it should be compatible with tires from 28mm to 52mm. And yet, Velocity claims that this rim is compatible with tires only up to 38mm.

I wonder why Velocity has is having trouble meeting the international standard that everyone else meets?
Everyone else meets? Pretty funny but it’s a manufacture’s rec. The big old fatty ‘worked’ on that rim, but the sidewalk wore out.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:

In light of the fact that they appear to apply regardless of rim design, sidewall thickness, etc, the ETRTO standards dont apparently have anything to do with sidewall being too weak to support. I would guess the main considerations are tire blowing off the rim and maybe general handling.
I doubt that the design of the Aeroheat is any more likely to cause tire blowing off the rim.

Since the velocity standards are stated as "suggestions", they dont seem to be about safety. Safety considerations are not typically stated like this.

Last edited by marciero; 05-17-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
In light of the fact that they appear to apply regardless of rim design, sidewall thickness, etc, the ETRTO standards dont apparently have anything to do with sidewall being too weak to support. I would guess the main considerations are tire blowing off the rim and maybe general handling.
I doubt that the design of the Aeroheat is any more likely to cause tire blowing off the rim.

Since the velocity standards are stated as "suggestions", they dont seem to be about safety. Safety considerations are not typically stated like this.
I don't disagree with any of this. But why did Velocity deny the warranty claim based on tire size compatibility, instead of citing normal wear and tear?
Old 05-17-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I don't recall what the wear indicator is on velocity rims. Is it a blind hole? I have worn a groove in some rims that would end in failure like this one if I hadn't lost faith in them first.
A23s have a tiny divot. Not certain about others.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree with any of this. But why did Velocity deny the warranty claim based on tire size compatibility, instead of citing normal wear and tear?
Hard to say but....

With all due respect to the OP that wheel appears to have been ridden hard in all types of weather. I'm still curious about the history of the wheel.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:36 PM

A customer of mine experienced the same failure on the same rim although it happened in the first month of use IIRC. Velocity warrantied the rims. In this case the customer mounted a 2" tire (technically within the ETRTO range). I also wonder if high tire pressure is an issue, particularly when combined with tires sizes at the top of the range. Sidewalls definitely deform outwards and this deformation increases with tire pressure.

Last edited by ryker; 05-17-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I thought that maybe that was just a case of the person being misinformed about the purpose of that chart. Maybe they were more of a non-technical/mechanical customer service person.