Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 11:06 AM

OT OBD2 scanner

I watch 'innovation nation' with my boys Sat am and this last episode had a smart phone-linked scanner called fixd. just so happens that yesterday the check engine light came on on our old 2006 ford minivan. I did a quick google search and well rated code scanners like Bosch were $200+. l like the idea of knowing if it is serious or not, and just knowing what it says before taking it to a mechanic. Anyone have a recommendation for an affordable ODB2 scanner--looking to spend less than $100
thanks
jim
Old 05-15-2019, 11:09 AM

This is the one I have

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...yelecarfor-20&

LE Link
Old 05-15-2019, 11:22 AM

I think some of the auto parts retail stores will scan it for you free in the hope of getting to sell needed parts and/or service.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM

Not sure if i just got lucky, but both cars ive owned (I hold onto cars till forever), they both (80s BMW 3, and 04 Jeep GC) have a "hidden" feature that allowed you to either hit the gas pedal a certain way with only the battery on or turn the key to battery 3 times in a row and it will spit out a code to the dashboard, then you can look up the code online. Do not all cars do this?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM

hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I think some of the auto parts retail stores will scan it for you free in the hope of getting to sell needed parts and/or service.
my dear wife wants it only driven to the mechanic we use, if it is to be driven with the check engine light on
Old 05-15-2019, 11:30 AM

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
that is far more affordable and delivers tomorrow--may pull the trigger on that. i just found a tom's guide review online with several, but that wasn't one of them
Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Administrator

for a ford, any scanner will do. just get the alpha-numeric code that it gives you and then google that code with your make and model and you'll almost certainly find the most likely cause of the problem. the internet and car enthusiasts have really opened up a world of knowledge, which is really cool.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:14 PM

thanks-- so many fake reviews now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
for a ford, any scanner will do. just get the alpha-numeric code that it gives you and then google that code with your make and model and you'll almost certainly find the most likely cause of the problem. the internet and car enthusiasts have really opened up a world of knowledge, which is really cool.
I wanted to see if there was any consensus here or at least could point me to some device that someone I "knew" used and it worked. online reviews and such are all over the place.
jim
Old 05-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Randomhead

did you check the gas cap? #1 reason for CEL

I recently got one of these because my old scanner doesn't work with volkswagon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Worked fine, had a little trouble connecting at first because I misread the directions.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM

yes, not gas cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
did you check the gas cap? #1 reason for CEL

I recently got one of these because my old scanner doesn't work with volkswagon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Worked fine, had a little trouble connecting at first because I misread the directions.
so this scanner brings up a question b/c it says you can clear codes with it. the other one recommended above doesn't say that. it would be nice if it is NOT a big deal causing the engine light to come on, to clear it so it doesn't continue to be on? edit--delving into amazon reviews it seems the LE Link does allow to clear codes

Last edited by jimcav; 05-15-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Randomhead

just about any code reader can clear codes. It might be useful if it's a hard fault. But I always leave them.

I had figured out what was wrong with the volkswagon, broken wire. I didn't want to fix it so we took it to the dealer. They screwed around with the car for weeks and finally gave up and asked me for more info. I told them which wire was broken and sent them a link to a youtube. I left the code that I got which I'm pretty sure is related to the broken wire. It was a power supply wire for the communications, and the car was throwing "weak communications" codes.

Last edited by unterhausen; 05-15-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 PM

for simply obd code reading, just get one of those bluetooth enabled ones on amazon. they work fine.
for particular makes you may need a particular protocol to do any 2 way communication, but for reading codes i don't think it matters.

fwiw, i use this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
no issues, works fast, and 'talks' to my car.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:40 PM
You still here?

Ive used the Ancel AD410 OBD2 code reader for all the years we’ve had our car far from civilization in Baja California. It’s worked perfectly and diagnosed the issue correctly every single time. When we left Baja I gave it to the local mechanic and taught him how to use it. He’s doing a land-Office business now because he’s got the correct fix always.

The Ancel AD410 OBD2 reader is available from Amazon for less than $45. http://www.ancelscanner.com/ancel-ad...eader-scanner/
Old 05-15-2019, 12:42 PM

thanks all

I'm going to try the Le Link one, it is half the cost of others and has decent reviews and returns are usually straightforward on amazon
jim
Old 05-15-2019, 12:54 PM

I've gone to Advance Auto & used the ones they have for free, Autozone probably the same.