Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Thanks Peter for directing me to this thread. I am having the exact same issue that you are having, OP. My tubulars are not repaired but brand new Vittoria Corsa G+. Never had this happen before but on the advice of Peter and this thread I am just going to ride it out in hopes it goes away.

Thanks guys.
Yeah give it a go. It was driving me crazy! I started to notice it slowly fade away. In fact last night I did actually notice it again but barely. It's at least now tolerable. I also noticed that after riding for about 20 minutes it went away.

First tho, make sure it's not valve click, that is all to common as people mentioned in this thread.

Report back
Old 05-17-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Yeah give it a go. It was driving me crazy! I started to notice it slowly fade away. In fact last night I did actually notice it again but barely. It's at least now tolerable. I also noticed that after riding for about 20 minutes it went away.

First tho, make sure it's not valve click, that is all to common as people mentioned in this thread.

Report back
Yea without a doubt not valve click. Same stick stick stick sound. I actually thought I had glue on the tread of the tire Hopefully I have good luck like you as yes it is annoying on such an otherwise dead silent Ottrott.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
1. You're supposed to put the glue on the base tape, not on the tread. It will always make that noise when you ride with glue on the tread.

2. Buy quality tires. Cheap stuff always give problems. Tufos forever.

3. I would seriously ride it for a few miles and it'll probably go away. Sometimes it's where the tire stitching was replaced and they didn't get it quite right so the casing has to settle down a bit. Sometimes the base tape isn't glued quite right and needs to readjust. Sometimes the new tape releases the glue and has to be squished by riding to get it to adhere properly. You might have a loose bit of glue on the rim that's causing that noise against the rim. Many possible reasons. Ride it with reasonable care, ignore the noise, and it'll most likely go away. You know how to glue tires and didn't do anything wrong. Tubulars can be ornery at times.

I cannot let this one go. That is hilarious!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:26 AM

Update----> I could not take the noise. All my bikes are always rock solid and dead silent. Same with my cars. Slightest tick etc. In the shop it goes within the hour.

Carefully peeled back the tubular on the front. Applied a thin layer of glue, the same glue of course to the rim. Mated the tire and rim together. Pumped up to 40psi. Rolled hard on the floor (I'm 225lbs so it was hard) Let is cure for 24hrs and went out for a 30mi ride in my finest merino kit in 75degree breezy weather. TOTAL SILENCE! Back to blissful miles. So could the stick, stick sound gone away over time? Maybe? I just couldn't deal.

So take away from this. If you have this same sound and can't deal with it, slowly peel back the tubie not to damage the base tape. Reapply a thin layer glue to rim. Apply 40psi to tire and roll wheel on ground with force in a straight line to make a good adhesion.