Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2019, 01:40 PM

The Tubular goes: Stick Stick Stick Stick Stick Stick

As it goes round and round and it's not valve click. This is a repaired tire which had new base tape and tube. It was a bit lose fitting, not terrible but looser then normal. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but...

What I think is happening is when this certain section of tire comes round and hits the road the tire compresses then when it's released from the direct weight it decompresses and as such you can hear this suction cup like sound of the glue sticking then unsticking.

I can grab that section of tire with my hand and push on it and hear the sound, not as loudly but still. And I can see the base tame move in and away from the rim.

This happened with another tire, the same kind Veloflex Criterium I believe, that was also repaired but I thought it was valve click so I removed it and put it on the front wheel and it went away but the rear one is now doing it again.

It's driving me nuts, has anywone ever had this happen? I'm wondering if injecting a bit more glue would help. And to note, I'm one who glues the hell out of their tires on.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:41 PM

If the base tape is moving around from the rim, it's not mounted well enough.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If the base tape is moving around from the rim, it's not mounted well enough.
what he said. you should have full and complete adhesion all the way around.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:00 PM

That's not it. I even went and double checked it. Maybe it was a bad description to say the base tape is moving in and out. So for the sake of argument lets just rule that out, I never said it. Believe me I glue them on real good. You need tire levers to get tubulars off that I glue on.

And as further evidence exhibit A this has never occurred in the 20 years I've been riding tubulars. B it happened to the same brand tire both of which were repaired by Tire Alert but when I moved that one to the front it went away. And I had a hell of a time getting that one off.

Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2019, 03:24 PM

1. You're supposed to put the glue on the base tape, not on the tread. It will always make that noise when you ride with glue on the tread.

2. Buy quality tires. Cheap stuff always give problems. Tufos forever.

3. I would seriously ride it for a few miles and it'll probably go away. Sometimes it's where the tire stitching was replaced and they didn't get it quite right so the casing has to settle down a bit. Sometimes the base tape isn't glued quite right and needs to readjust. Sometimes the new tape releases the glue and has to be squished by riding to get it to adhere properly. You might have a loose bit of glue on the rim that's causing that noise against the rim. Many possible reasons. Ride it with reasonable care, ignore the noise, and it'll most likely go away. You know how to glue tires and didn't do anything wrong. Tubulars can be ornery at times.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:51 PM
Randomhead

go down a really big hill and drag the brakes.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:54 PM

To me it sounds like the valve stem knocking against the rim. With a tubular the base tape around the stem doesn’t always have a ton of glue and even if it does, it doesn’t take much for the weight of bike and rider to cause it to make a tick sound every time it rolls against the road.

I assume it speeds up the faster you go? I’ve seen this a lot anytime I don’t do a good job with glue around the valve stem area, and also with tubular tape. It’s especially noticeable with carbon rims since they tend to amplify the noise. Anyway, the solution is fairly simple if you have a valve extender. Just unscrew it and wrap a one or two layers of electric tape around the extender so it seats it firmly in the stem hole. It usually only takes one small layer, once around the extender. Then screw it back in. If the tube stem doesn’t have an extender, I’ve found that a small amount of that “liquid electrical tape” in that little area works great. You just need something there to keep the stem from rattling around against the rim.

It may not be that at all...but it’s pretty common with tubulars.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:10 PM
Proud Grandpa

I’ve had tubies that do this. The tire is ‘moving’ at a certain place, ‘squirming’ there and making a noise. Not unusual with repaired tubulars. You can try to reglue but it might just be a noisy tire. PITArse for sure.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
To me it sounds like the valve stem knocking against the rim. With a tubular the base tape around the stem doesn’t always have a ton of glue and even if it does, it doesn’t take much for the weight of bike and rider to cause it to make a tick sound every time it rolls against the road.

I assume it speeds up the faster you go? I’ve seen this a lot anytime I don’t do a good job with glue around the valve stem area, and also with tubular tape. It’s especially noticeable with carbon rims since they tend to amplify the noise. Anyway, the solution is fairly simple if you have a valve extender. Just unscrew it and wrap a one or two layers of electric tape around the extender so it seats it firmly in the stem hole. It usually only takes one small layer, once around the extender. Then screw it back in. If the tube stem doesn’t have an extender, I’ve found that a small amount of that “liquid electrical tape” in that little area works great. You just need something there to keep the stem from rattling around against the rim.

It may not be that at all...but it’s pretty common with tubulars.
I know I've had this happen a few times before that's why I always load up the hole in the wheel with tubular glue. It's not that in this case. Yes it speeds up and slows down as I go. In fact I can go very slow and watch the wheel come round and it doesn't make the click noise when the valve stem is at the bottom.

Glad to hear that potatoe has seen this before too. So it sounds liek it could have something to do with the repair.

I'll see if it goes away on it's own but it does drive me mad. If not in a few rides I'll remove it and save it for a front wheel.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I know I've had this happen a few times before that's why I always load up the hole in the wheel with tubular glue. It's not that in this case. Yes it speeds up and slows down as I go. In fact I can go very slow and watch the wheel come round and it doesn't make the click noise when the valve stem is at the bottom.

Glad to hear that potatoe has seen this before too. So it sounds liek it could have something to do with the repair.

I'll see if it goes away on it's own but it does drive me mad. If not in a few rides I'll remove it and save it for a front wheel.
Or a wrapped up spare. I think the last one I had was one I patched...
Old 05-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Riding Along

I would inject some glue in the area that is moving to fill the small void that is causing the issue not to add more adhesion but to just prevent the movement that is causing the noise.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:05 PM

I wouldn't inject glue. Something is trying to reposition itself and you do better to let that happen. You might try puncturing a piece of tape and sliding the puncture over the valve stem with the tape running along the inside of the rim. That will usually stop a clicking valve. Just to rule it out. But what you have sounds like one of the weird noises that sometimes happen with repaired (and occasionally new) tubulars. It'll sort itself out.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
1. You're supposed to put the glue on the base tape, not on the tread. It will always make that noise when you ride with glue on the tread.

2. Buy quality tires. Cheap stuff always give problems. Tufos forever.

3. I would seriously ride it for a few miles and it'll probably go away. Sometimes it's where the tire stitching was replaced and they didn't get it quite right so the casing has to settle down a bit. Sometimes the base tape isn't glued quite right and needs to readjust. Sometimes the new tape releases the glue and has to be squished by riding to get it to adhere properly. You might have a loose bit of glue on the rim that's causing that noise against the rim. Many possible reasons. Ride it with reasonable care, ignore the noise, and it'll most likely go away. You know how to glue tires and didn't do anything wrong. Tubulars can be ornery at times.
Well what do ya know? I'd say I probably hit the 200 mile mark and now the noise is gone! Actually it slowly faded out too till now I don't hear it.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Well what do ya know? I'd say I probably hit the 200 mile mark and now the noise is gone! Actually it slowly faded out too till now I don't hear it.
Well, of course..tubulars can heal themselves ya know, another advantage..
Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 AM

Thanks Peter for directing me to this thread. I am having the exact same issue that you are having, OP. My tubulars are not repaired but brand new Vittoria Corsa G+. Never had this happen before but on the advice of Peter and this thread I am just going to ride it out in hopes it goes away.

Thanks guys.