Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2022, 05:16 PM

Columbus MS (Multi Shape) in the wild?

The linked article in the recent thread on the Cinelli Rivoluzione mentioned Columbus MS (Multi Shape) which got me thinking; how many bikes built with it are out there? I've never run into one in the wild, have you and if so what's the story?

This was my daily rider/commuter for many years (until I needed to start hauling kids around). It was an ebay find which I bought on a hope and guess based on a crappy picture of the tubing label and some frantic research to figure out what the heck MS was.

It's a truly lovely ride, fast and stable at speed albeit with a very stiff rear end (as one would expect from a track frame). I did Seattle-to-Portland in a day on it and it was perfect for that.

NB:
It's not an especially refined frame, the lug work isn't great and the other details aren't remarkable but it fits me perfectly and accelerates like a freakin' rocket. It came w/ two forks, one w/ a box crown for track, and the one in the pic which is drilled for a brake. I don't know much about it and have been planning a thread to see if I can find out more. The bits I've been able to track down is that it was built by a guy named John (maybe) Levante (seatstay bridge is pantographed Levante) in Buffalo NY and he built ~10 frames before he died in a car crash.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:41 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I saw this beauty at the 2019 Eroica CA. The owner stated that it was one of 10 built with MS.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolface View Post
The linked article in the recent thread on the Cinelli Rivoluzione mentioned Columbus MS (Multi Shape) which got me thinking; how many bikes built with it are out there? I've never run into one in the wild, have you and if so what's the story?

This was my daily rider/commuter for many years (until I needed to start hauling kids around). It was an ebay find which I bought on a hope and guess based on a crappy picture of the tubing label and some frantic research to figure out what the heck MS was.

It's a truly lovely ride, fast and stable at speed albeit with a very stiff rear end (as one would expect from a track frame). I did Seattle-to-Portland in a day on it and it was perfect for that.

NB:
It's not an especially refined frame, the lug work isn't great and the other details aren't remarkable but it fits me perfectly and accelerates like a freakin' rocket. It came w/ two forks, one w/ a box crown for track, and the one in the pic which is drilled for a brake. I don't know much about it and have been planning a thread to see if I can find out more. The bits I've been able to track down is that it was built by a guy named John (maybe) Levante (seatstay bridge is pantographed Levante) in Buffalo NY and he built ~10 frames before he died in a car crash.
Tony Mezzatesta built me a bike from Columbus MS years ago. He had cut the lugs with an intricate flame design and the frame painted a yellowish orange. The bike rode great and was really stiff given the asymmetrical chainstays and big downtube. The bike was not light, but rode great and served me well for many years. Tony is deceased now. I wish I kept that bike frame.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:59 PM

Basso ascot

I raced a Basso ascot oh so long ago that had the MS tubing. A combo off 8 speed campy n Shimano with mavic tubulars and a set of 38mm track bars.

Last edited by skiezo; 01-23-2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I saw this beauty at the 2019 Eroica CA. The owner stated that it was one of 10 built with MS.

Looks like more information on the same bike, with a profile picture of the tubing shapes

https://premium-cycling.com/product/...s-1986-ramata/

Left to right on the tubing:
Quote:
From left to right: non drive chainstay, drive side chainstay, top tube, down tube and Air seat stays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Columbus-MS.jpeg (28.9 KB, 184 views)
Old 01-23-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Looks like more information on the same bike, with a profile picture of the tubing shapes

https://premium-cycling.com/product/...s-1986-ramata/

Left to right on the tubing:
That's a cool pic! It only tells part of the story though, because the tubing profile also changes along the length of the tubes.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I raced a Basso ascot oh so long ago that had the MS tubing. A combo off 8 speed campy n Shimano with mavic tubulars and a set of 38mm track bars.

I remember those from the early 1990s. I wanted one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2022, 10:41 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post

And it is obviously too small for the owner. It looks like a 57cm and he should sell it to me.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:34 AM

check out Chris Bishops's site

I recall he built a lovely (no surprise there) bike from MS a few years back