Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2022, 09:09 AM

Single speed/fixed gravel wheels

My friends seem to be riding more and more gravel. I don’t really care to buy another bike as I already own too many bikes. I have wanted to upgrade the wheels on my single speed. So as someone who rides road and mountain bikes gravel does make me curious.

Is single speed/fixed a terrible idea for gravel? I see the current trend is wider wheels are the better. My bike has a good bit of clearance and I could probably shove a ridiculous wheel into it. I think I could get a 25mm id wheel on it. I know I could get a 21mm id wheel on it. I live in Maryland and really don’t travel far for most of my rides these days. What would you recommend?

I don’t see a ton of options in the pre built wheels for what I am looking for. Most of the single speed/fixed wheels I find are pretty narrow. I reached out to light bicycle and they had some options. They were a bit more money than I had in mind. But if it is shinny enough it would open my wallet

My last predicament is the bike it is going on. It is rim brakes and I have never been wild about carbon for that. I am not ruling it out. But I have a feeling that aluminum is what will speak to me. I really think that carbon would look strange on this bike……IMG_1590.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2022, 09:13 AM

I'm fully in support of both single speed and fixed gravel riding!

As for the wheels, I think something like the Velocity Quill (21mm inner width) would be a really nice aluminum option. Laced to DT240s if you'd like a truly set and forget wheel. Or 350s if you want to save a few bucks at the cost of some weight.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:35 AM

I didn’t think they made those hubs in single speed/fixed? The hubs are another rabbit hole. I don’t know what I am looking at lol. The dura ace 7600 hubs are appealing. Probably just brand recognition. I was kinda disappointed when I found the campy pista wheels. Definitely track oriented.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:42 AM

Ah, you're right, haha! Well, bulletproof and fancy would be Phil Wood. A less expensive option would be All City New Sheriff. I've used the All City hubs in the past with good luck.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:49 AM

Wide isn't everything, it's a marginal gain that will let you run lower pressure but your tires will mount up fine. Why don't you try it first w/ the wheels you have?

What's your use case for your singlespeed right now? Whether you can (or want to) singlespeed or not depends on where you ride. For me, it would be overly limiting. It'd be low cadence, knee busting climbs and spinning out on the flats. It's unlike singlespeed MTB (which I ran for 8 years) where you gear it so you can pedal up but only have to coast down.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:52 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
I didn’t think they made those hubs in single speed/fixed? The hubs are another rabbit hole. I don’t know what I am looking at lol. The dura ace 7600 hubs are appealing. Probably just brand recognition. I was kinda disappointed when I found the campy pista wheels. Definitely track oriented.

Paul's does. I have a TA set now. Had a set of QR hubs on my last SS

The pic in the OP looks like it has 120 spaced hubs tho. If that's the case, any FW hub that isn't Mavic should work.

Here's a thought for the OP: run whatcha got with as wide a tire as will fit the bike. You may and or may not like SS/fixed on gravel.

M
Old 01-22-2022, 09:54 AM

Tracklecross!

Single speed will depend on the type of climbing you plan to do tbh. Single speed rigid on dirt is alot of fun. Plus you get bragging rights when you ride by the other full susp bikes.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:20 AM

My current wheels measure 20mm on the outside and say etrto and the sticker says 6061-t6 on it. They are some cheapo wheels that came on a 600$ trek city bike 8 years ago. I got ride of the bike and kept the wheels to ride fixed every now and then. They are boat anchors for sure. I enjoy riding any bike any chance I get. I ride this one solo normally as riding fixed with friends on free hubs isn’t normally smooth.

I could definitely just put other tires on these wheels. Wider tires will look like balloons on these wheels. Won’t that be squirmy?

Old 01-22-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordvsick View Post
Tracklecross!

Single speed will depend on the type of climbing you plan to do tbh. Single speed rigid on dirt is alot of fun. Plus you get bragging rights when you ride by the other full susp bikes.

Those bragging rights do inspire this idea.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:24 AM

I ride a fixed cross bike on gravel and trails. It's great fun. Occasionally get strange looks from the full squish it 29er crowd.

Using dura ace track hubs with the dust seals installed.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:28 AM
Administrator

what is the rear spacing on that bike?
Old 01-22-2022, 10:31 AM

I rode a few cross bikes as single speed on gravel all over the place. Skinny ksyrium wheels. Good times. I used spacers and a cog in the rear.

Do it!

I would just get something that is functional and be happy. Get a new bike with disc wheels etc and then maybe look towards the carbon or custom aluminum.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
what is the rear spacing on that bike?

Old 01-22-2022, 10:35 AM

I have a crust breakaway lightning bolt single that is my primary do everything bike. It's set up as a 650b with 43mm sim works homages on velocity cliffhangers laced to some basic bianchi logo'd formula hubs that I've had since I bought a pista in 2001. Gearing is 46x17 and while I may occasionally have to walk up something, it's all part of the fun. Start with tires and go from there.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:39 AM

Seems like the consensus is to start with tires. These wheels are not tubeless and have an outer width of 20mm. What would the suggestion be for that?