Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2022, 05:17 AM

hudson valley, catskills, NW CT, Southern Berkshires (SW Mass) is the absolute best riding i've ever experienced, no comparison i've found anywhere.
colorado (pitiful)
california? nope, no way, no how. at least not where i've been.
only place i could compare is Tuscany.

haven't ridden westchester (sw ct) since the mid-90s, so can't speak to what its like now. i would imagine its not TOO different, but probably more developed.
but at the time, that was "pretty darn good", to "absolutely fantastic" in the northern parts. Getting through White Plains was only a minor nuisance, and the reward was well worth it.

can't vouch for lower westchester: yonkers/new rochelle/bronxville

if you don't have to commute into NYC daily/weekly, then consider going further north, maybe even putnam/duchess/ulster.
Metro North commuter train goes to wassaic and pougkeepsie, and is FAR better than driving into NYC. also delivers you right into the heart of manhattan, into one of NYCs most beautiful structures. you can even take your bike during non-rush hour times, for a lifetime $5 bike pass.
so move to chappaqua, catch the first train to wassaic, ride the 10 mile path to millerton for a warm-up, and then enjoy the best riding i've ever found.
or move to peekskill, take the train to becon/poukeepsie, ride over the bridge to the catskills if you want to do more climbing (mohonk, cragsmoore, minnewaska).

I can't even get into all of the dirt events and races all over new england, especially vermont... OMG VERMONT!!! from early/mid spring to late fall.

dude, i am so damn desperate to move back to that area.

where i was living in SW Mass, i could easily plan a 150 mile route (not that i could actually ride 150 miles at this point) and encounter maybe handful of optional stop signs, even fewer optional traffic lights, and only carry one small water bottle if i wanted to fill up at every town dispersed 5-10-15 miles apart.
it was like a choose-your-own roller-coaster route through rolling farmland, on minimally-trafficked country roads.

not to mention, it would be a BAD day in the saddle if i didn't get at least 5 passing motorists waving or cheering at me out their window. seriously.

of course there is the winter... so get yourself a fat-bike

Last edited by Kingson; 01-22-2022 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:29 AM

Dumping the entire state of CA and CO as meh kinda lowers the value of the other areas IMO. Most would consider both those states to have world renowned rides.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:38 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Dumping the entire state of CA and CO as meh kinda lowers the value of the other areas IMO. Most would consider both those states to have world renowned rides.
There are plenty of places in CA that I'd gladly "settle" for, if I could afford it. CO too, if I were also a skier.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:45 AM
aka RAEKWON

I do think that ny, ma, vt have amazing rides but I would not say they are the best in the world or any better than cali or places like oregon/washington. But its very good over here and its a type of ride, long miles with short steep climbs, a good amount of gravel (a ton if you go vt or ne ma).

I never ridden in DC so can’t comment but nyc the ridding is not great. Actually the ridding is fantastic for being in nyc but there is only so many routes so you will be doing the same thing over and over again. But sounds like you wouldnt live in the city and there is some good ridding in westchester. Thats where the rich ppl live so there is amazing roads used for horse ridding which are incredible and its generally a beautiful area
Old 01-22-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Will either you or your wife need to commute to work?

I would think that that would have a significant impact on the feedback you get.
This question along how long in a vehicle you consider reasonable for a commute or to drive for a ride will be very important in your decision making. Moving from the Kansas City area, I also learned the importance of location and time of day that dictated time in vehicle over distance.

For me, I despise any amount of time in a vehicle and moved close to my duty station to ensure that even in single temps I could cycle to/from work. The trade off, unfortunately, was immediate (and to some extent reasonable) access to good riding. I also found driver attitude and behavior has been swinging in the wrong direction needing a different mindset as I pedal to more rural and open areas. As others have said, cycling can be great with options galore from road to gravel to mountain, but for me the way to get to them eroded my enjoyment over the years and look forward to moving away for a reset. With that said, Skyline Drive delivered my most epic ride with a down and back in a single go with views of (and a run in with) black bears.

The takeaway is that no place is perfect, and it’s important understand what will diminish your health (added stress, reduced enjoyment, etc.) so that’s it’s part of the decision process. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:09 AM

We're on the other side of the Hudson--so Harriman is the main attraction. The arterials are often narrow and older, and certainly busy, but I have had mostly good experiences riding in this area.

OTOH, we lived in Fairfax, then Arlington for a decade--which also coincided with a period when I was not riding my bike very much--and that was because of the the climate (yuck!) and the drivers.

Drivers in NOVA drive FAST--and the arterials are like mini-freeways. Yes there are paths that are nice--like the WO&D--but it doesn't make up for the fact that it feels like you are putting your life in danger if you want to doddle over to the local park or coffee shop. If anything, our recent visits have reinforced the notion that hell would have to freeze over before I'd consider moving back...

NOVA is the first place I saw consistent right turn pull off lanes because you have to worry that the speeding entitled a-hole behind you might drive over while you are trying to make your turn just because...
Old 01-22-2022, 07:11 AM

PM'd ya.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:17 AM

I wouldn't say Westchester traffic is too benign.

I lived in NW part of the county for many years and the cars there use to scare the hell out of me. Very impatient drivers who will only wait so long before they will pass you, no matter what it takes.

My brother in law works in a bike shop (Yorktown Cycles) and has been living and riding in Westchester his whole life. There is rarely a ride he posts to Strava without something in the description to include getting buzzed by drivers, or yelled at, or something thrown out the window at him, or something else equally offensive and dangerous.

The traffic is nuts there for commuting in your car as well. I remember when I commuted Not to South from Yorktown to Ossining on the Taconic State Parkway, it reminds me of a video game. Whenever we head down to Westchester these days to visit my brother in Yorktown or my parents in Armonk we are always amazed at how stressful it is to be in a car in that area.
People drive/cut you off as if you are invisible.

As far as getting to Harriman and Bear Mountain from Westchester, Route 202 aka "The Goat Path" is beautiful but dangerous as all hell to ride on.

There is nothing I miss about living or riding a bicycle in Westchester.

SPP
Old 01-22-2022, 07:52 AM

The Empire State Bike trail! NYC to The Canadian Border And Albany to Buffalo.
You can get off the trail in numerous spots for gravel and less traveled roads.
Easy to get into Connecticut. Many good long climbs in this area.Also there is the Harlem Valley rail trail (26 miles) from Wassaic Metro North train station to Copake Falls.East of this trail there are many miles of roads that are not to busy that go into CT with paved and gravel roads.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:54 AM

Lived and cycled in metro D.C. for over 30 years.

Before we moved to NC we lived in Potomac, MD……just of one of the two main routes to the Ag Preserve and beyond. Many group rides out of D.C. goes to or through Potomac. My wife worked two blocks from the WH and the morning drive took her about 25 minutes, 30 minutes late afternoon. Not having to use the beltway is key.

The cycling from former casa zap is great but for the motorists…..you have to get past Travilah to get away from aggressive motorists. Also, the roads are rustic……no shoulders. So one has to get used to motorists rubbing your elbows while you are going uphill and around a bend. But once you get beyond Travilah…..motorists chill out and the countryside is wonderful.

I could go on but time is short. If the OP has questions about a specific area around D.C. send me a pm.

Last edited by zap; 01-22-2022 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:10 AM

I think most everything has been covered here already.
But just to add, the riding in northern westechetser and then going north into Putnam county is very good (hilly).
As others have also mentioned you can also ride west into Rockland and Orange counties, and there is some really good riding there as well.

Also good gravel and very good mountain biking if you ride either of those disciplines.

Feel free to ask any detailed questions.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
But just to add, the riding in northern westechetser and then going north into Putnam county is very good (hilly).
Definitely...Cold Spring into Philipstown and Garrison, especially grave and dirt roads, is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Also good gravel and very good mountain biking if you ride either of those disciplines.
Excellent mountain biking in Westchester...Blue Mountain in Peekskill, Yorktown has great trail system, Graham Hills in Pleasantville, Sprain Ridge in Yonkers...all first class.

SPP
Old 01-22-2022, 09:35 AM

I have lived in DC, NYC and now Fairfield county. For daily riding, particularly shorter rides, from my door I preferred NYC over DC - from where I lived on the Upper West Side I found it much easier to get to good riding roads pedaling from my front door versus doing the same from my apartment in Foggy Bottom in DC. In NYC, whether I was going to central park or over the bridge, I could easily do a ride where I only had to clip in at the start and clip out when I was done, 20 or 50 miles later.

Central Park and Prospect Park really add a unique element to urban cycling. Yes you can get bored by doing thousands of laps a year but it is just so easy and accessible to get miles outdoors. I loved getting to Central Park early in the morning and watching the sun come up on the city as I pedaled away.

Living in suburban CT now I really appreciate the additional riding variety I have - in NYC I felt like most of my rides started out with the same 6+ miles regardless of where I was going (I absolutely have a love/hate relationship with the George Washington Bridge), whereas now I really need to give thought to where I want to go even for a shorter ride.

At the end of the day though, I would make the decision on city v. suburb based on other lifestyle choices and stage in life. You will figure out the cycling part no matter what.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:03 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
in NYC I felt like most of my rides started out with the same 6+ miles regardless of where I was going
^^^This ...although, as I've recently discovered (we bought a second home in Tucson AZ last year) that's pretty much true of any location: I'd wager the number of residences that offer infinite directions to chose from right at the end of their driveway are close to 0.

In NYC nearly every ride I do does start with the exact same 2.25 miles (unless I'm just riding down to do laps in Central Park, or to a Metro-North train station to head way out of town). Two choices at that 2.25 mile mark, turn left or turn right. If I turn left, there's really only one place I'm going; if I turn right, in another 2 miles I get another decision tree, straight or right? Half a mile past that, yet another straight or right? decision. By the time I've ridden 6-10 miles I've had to make nearly as many decisions. And that's still in Bergen or Rockland Counties!

In Tucson it's kind of the same: Every ride starts with the same one mile from my development to the first major intersection. Left or right? Again, ~10 miles into my ride I've probably made a dozen decisions.

I will say this about NYC: The best part about cycling in NYC is that it's very easy to get out of NYC.

But just out of NYC the riding is fabulous. You just need to remind yourself that "familiarity" doesn't have to be a negative.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:29 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
I wouldn't say Westchester traffic is too benign.

I lived in NW part of the county for many years and the cars there use to scare the hell out of me. Very impatient drivers who will only wait so long before they will pass you, no matter what it takes.

My brother in law works in a bike shop (Yorktown Cycles) and has been living and riding in Westchester his whole life. There is rarely a ride he posts to Strava without something in the description to include getting buzzed by drivers, or yelled at, or something thrown out the window at him, or something else equally offensive and dangerous.

The traffic is nuts there for commuting in your car as well. I remember when I commuted Not to South from Yorktown to Ossining on the Taconic State Parkway, it reminds me of a video game. Whenever we head down to Westchester these days to visit my brother in Yorktown or my parents in Armonk we are always amazed at how stressful it is to be in a car in that area.
People drive/cut you off as if you are invisible.

As far as getting to Harriman and Bear Mountain from Westchester, Route 202 aka "The Goat Path" is beautiful but dangerous as all hell to ride on.

There is nothing I miss about living or riding a bicycle in Westchester.

SPP
Good lord. What the hell. Maybe your BIL and you were riding on the wrong roads. I have never been "buzzed" or had things thrown at me in upper Westchester or in Fairfield county, which is the best road riding in the NY metro. It's why I live in upper Fairfield. Of course, if I went out on 202, I'd almost be taunting drivers to hassle me, but why ride on that road? Its ugly and has two lanes of drivers doing 65 mph flying by and the shoulder is full of junk that even the toughest tires couldn't handle.

To the OP, look for a home north of White Plains in Westchester, or, ideally, Greenwich on the Ct. side, because the Greenwich zip codes are awesome places to live, and not all are for the wealthy. If you have jobs in the city, make sure you're close to a train line. Greenwich, of course, is on the New Haven, and Katonah would be ideal in Westchester. The Katonah station is a meeting spot for a lot of group rides. Great riding to the north in Duchess, too, and the new Mayberry section of the Empire trail is an awesome place to just spin fast in freshly paved solitude.