Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2022, 07:05 PM
Deconditioned!

Riding in either NYC area or DC

We are looking at where we'll move at some point in the future.

Wife is from NYC/Weschester. Lots of friends and family there still. Another choice may be DC.

Truthfully, I don't want to leave the West Coast. Ever. But, I gotta do what I gotta do. I have zero idea about riding in either of these areas. If we go to NY, it'll likely be Westchester or just over the boarder in CT.

Anyone have experience riding in either/both of these areas? What can you tell me? Is the riding good/great/bad/horrible? Do I need to drive to ride (not my fave), or is the riding pretty good in the area...or a short ride to get to the good stuff.

LMK!
Old 01-21-2022, 07:12 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I'm outside DC

Temps are going to be more moderate than further north. It only really gets cold Jan and Feb.

Driving to go riding depends on where you are. I live in what were the cowfields so I can still hop out the door and have 1hr to 10hr loops available

The area is a hotbed of cycling. Races every weekend thru Dec.

Off-road and/or gravel all depends on where you live again.

HTH

M
Old 01-21-2022, 07:25 PM

Can’t speak about DC, but here goes NYC.

Riding for NYC proper is good, but not phenomenal. However, if you’d be moving to Westchester, the riding around there is really great. Lot’s of hilly traffic free roads, paved and not, with scenic views and friendly people. Westchester is where people living in NYC take the train up to ride around. Depending on where you are, you won’t be too far from Harriman State Park, to a point where you’ll be able to ride there and back without it being a HUGE ride. You won’t need a car for great riding, but you’ll be within driving (or train ride) distance from truly world class riding either to the North or to the West.

The riding scene is also really good, I doubt anywhere in the country has a higher concentration of cyclists per square mile than Manhattan. And along with that comes races, grouprides, clubs and cafes a plenty.

I wouldn’t move to Westchester from Brooklyn cause I’m still young and like what’s happening around here, but if riding was the absolute priority and I still wanted to be around NYC, Westchester is where I’d go.

Feel free to prod me for more info and lmk if you’re ever around.
As for the weather, it gets really cold in Jan and Feb, but the pro is that it’s sunny and dry most of the time. Can’t expect DC to be too much different.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:26 PM

Grew up in MANHATTAN. City kid thru n thru (Born n bred)! Now relocated for the past 20 years to So Cal's LA area.
Loved doing laps in Central Park - THE perfect 10K loop. Enjoyed the shorter 3.2 mile loop in Prospect park as well. Park used to close at 7pm Friday night and stay closed to auto traffic until 6am Monday morning. Don't know if they still do that?
There is a race group called CRCA. Once a member, they run early AM (5am/6am) races broken into groups (A/B/C & Women's) that you can participate in. Lots of fun and inexpensive!
Then there the usual ride to Nyack/Piermont going over the GW bridge and up 9W.
In addition there a fast large group ride known as The Gimbels Ride. Starts at the cross county shopping center in Yonkers (used to be a dept store called Gimbels there, hence the name) and ends just outside of Rye playland in Rye NY - quick ride back to White Plains. Starts in one place and ends in another and it's "find your own way home" ride.
That's all I can remember to tell you. There is a Rapha store in the city and they typically run rides out of the store - just like they do here in Los Angeles.
Good luck with your decision and oh yeah .. NYC winters are BRUTA!
Old 01-21-2022, 07:29 PM
Administrator

You must separate living in NYC from Westchester or CT as the daily access to riding is night and day different

I’m biased but I would take the Westchester/CT option over DC every day. Good access to all of the beauty of the northeast.

Come to the soon to be organized finger lakes ramble and I’ll prove it
Old 01-21-2022, 07:32 PM

Westchester/CT all day long. DC riding is.................. eh hem. Average at best.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:35 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
We are looking at where we'll move at some point in the future.
Will either you or your wife need to commute to work?

I would think that that would have a significant impact on the feedback you get.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:58 PM

DC suburbs can be pretty sketchy on bicycle (I grew up in Falls Church VA, about 8 miles from DC city line). some of the worst traffic in the country. Good riding to be had in the city proper for sure, pretty decent bike infrastructure and lots of paths/cycling culture. A lot of Arlington, downtown Silver Spring, Takoma Park are very bike friendly. If you're into touring/camping, you can ride from Georgetown straight to Pittsburgh completely through the woods with no cars on the C&O/GAP Trail.

the more rural areas (Loudon County) have some great road/gravel riding but there is a ton of suburban sprawl to contend with that goes out really far in to VA and MD. I used to ride to work when I was in high school on Gallows Road/Arlington Blvd/Lee Highway, which is downright reckless in retrospect.

I also used to live in NYC and that would get my vote. pretty much every type of riding imaginable, with the oft-overlooked benefit of easily taking a train back to your house after a long ride out of the city. I wasn't riding much then apart from commuting, which I regret.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:35 PM

The DC area, in general, is seriously underrated for cycling. Inside the city there's not much for you although its getting more and more bike friendly with lots of protected bike lanes and better awareness.

But getting out of the city is where it gets good - loudoun county gravel, lots of realy good mountain bike options in fairfax & montgomery county and further west toward shenandoah valley, great road riding heading out into montgomery/loudoun. MUT's all the way around the city, and out into the suburbs too.

There's lots of great group road rides including the rides leaving out of rock creek park.

I dont know I would choose DC over NYC though, if cost of living wasnt a concern.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:49 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Westchester/CT all day long. DC riding is.................. eh hem. Average at best.
I disagree

The mountains are a short drive then ride away

Flats are south and east

yadda yadda yadda

I've lived where there's more 'epic' riding, but nowhere with the mix we have around here.

...but opinions are like belly buttons...

M
Old 01-21-2022, 08:54 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertoracle View Post
DC suburbs can be pretty sketchy on bicycle (I grew up in Falls Church VA, about 8 miles from DC city line). some of the worst traffic in the country. Good riding to be had in the city proper for sure, pretty decent bike infrastructure and lots of paths/cycling culture. A lot of Arlington, downtown Silver Spring, Takoma Park are very bike friendly. If you're into touring/camping, you can ride from Georgetown straight to Pittsburgh completely through the woods with no cars on the C&O/GAP Trail.

the more rural areas (Loudon County) have some great road/gravel riding but there is a ton of suburban sprawl to contend with that goes out really far in to VA and MD. I used to ride to work when I was in high school on Gallows Road/Arlington Blvd/Lee Highway, which is downright reckless in retrospect.

I also used to live in NYC and that would get my vote. pretty much every type of riding imaginable, with the oft-overlooked benefit of easily taking a train back to your house after a long ride out of the city. I wasn't riding much then apart from commuting, which I regret.
'Back then' traffic wasn't nearly as nasty as it is now. I used to ride from S and W of Manassas thru Clifton to Fairfax Circle. Now? Probably not unless I HAD to for some reason.

Also used to ride from Rt 1 and the Beltway over to Ffx Circle. That meant a stretch on Little River Turnpike to turn onto Pickett. Now? Not unless I really had to.

That was before the CCT went the whole way over to Ffx Circle.

M
Old 01-21-2022, 09:04 PM

Its been a while since I lived in Arlington Va
The rails to trails path covers 40 miles one way starting at Roslyn and goes beyond Leesburg
C&O Towpath goes out of DC
Rockcreek Park is opened on Sundays
Arlington has the better choice for connecting bike paths compared to DC or Md
Hope this helps
Old 01-21-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I've lived where there's more 'epic' riding, but nowhere with the mix we have around here.
I think the 'mix' is really the key here, plus, plenty of epic rides within 1-2 hours too.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:17 PM

I’ve ridden extensively in Westchester and the Gold Coast of CT as well as the tri state corner area of ny, ct, ma.

It probably goes without saying it pales in comparison to west coast riding (imo but I like the unlimited gravel, remote trails, big climbs, endless views, sunny warm weather, etc.)

You don’t need to drive and there are many great routes around the Hudson Valley from roughly 45min north of NYC and on up north. I used to frequently ride from Manhattan to my parents in New Preston, Ct area…from bear Mtn to their area it is phenomenal on the road.

NW CT has some of the nicest rural road riding I’ve ever found with a bit of gravel too.

I found it busy when I lived in Stamford Ct but you can still find daily decent riding from the door most likely.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 01-21-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:22 PM

DC area riding was discussed recently over here: https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ad.php?t=56552