Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2022, 05:39 PM

White Industries R30 and Dura Ace

I’ve broken and warrantied my Dura Ace 9100 crank three times and am thinking that I should move to something a little more sturdy. The WI R30 crank is intriguing as it isn’t hollow core. Does anyone know how it plays with 9100 shifting? Is it a clean setup, and how are the front shifts?

Also considering the Ignite Inferno cranks. Are there other solid options out there? I do like to ride with a power meter, would assume I’d have to move to a pedal based one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2022, 05:48 PM

Shouldn’t be a problem re shifting.

I’d look at rotor as well. Big fan of their stuff and their 2inpower power meter is as good as it gets, if somewhat pricey.

Quarq is a more “budget” option, and sigeyi makes a power meter spider that looks really good and has a version for rotor cranks, along with a bunch of others.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Shouldn’t be a problem re shifting.

I’d look at rotor as well. Big fan of their stuff and their 2inpower power meter is as good as it gets, if somewhat pricey.

Quarq is a more “budget” option, and sigeyi makes a power meter spider that looks really good and has a version for rotor cranks, along with a bunch of others.

Yeah I have looked at the rotors. Very nice, plus have a Q factor more inline with the Dura Ace. Only thing that gives me pause is that their aluminum models are hollow core too

Old 01-22-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutenbergler View Post
Yeah I have looked at the rotors. Very nice, plus have a Q factor more inline with the Dura Ace. Only thing that gives me pause is that their aluminum models are hollow core too
Not the newer ones I believe. The 3D generation did snap sometimes, but I’m told it’s been fixed with the newer generation.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know how it plays with 9100 shifting? Is it a clean setup, and how are the front shifts?
It's subjective in the end but front shifts are not as good as factory Shimano (nothing is). Good enough for me with mechanical shifting though. The difference might be less perceptible with Di2.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker View Post
It's subjective in the end but front shifts are not as good as factory Shimano (nothing is). Good enough for me with mechanical shifting though. The difference might be less perceptible with Di2.
You can run most spider based power meters with shimano rings for the best shifting and avoid shimano crank arms. I think rotor also has a shimano spider as well but not sure.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:56 AM
#RYFB

Dunno if these are the later crankarms, but if you like 170 and low gearing this seems like a good deal
Old 01-22-2022, 07:06 PM

I'd get Quarq arms with the Dfour spider and run R9100 chainrings. I liked my White Ind cranks but they're noticeable less stiff than, say, a DA crank, and the shifting is not great. They are/were very pretty. The Q factor might be much wider than regular road cranks too, I can't recall how much.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I’ve broken and warrantied my Dura Ace 9100 crank three times and am thinking that I should move to something a little more sturdy. The WI R30 crank is intriguing as it isn’t hollow core. Does anyone know how it plays with 9100 shifting? Is it a clean setup, and how are the front shifts?

Also considering the Ignite Inferno cranks. Are there other solid options out there? I do like to ride with a power meter, would assume I’d have to move to a pedal based one.
Can't start this thread with
Quote:
I’ve broken and warrantied my Dura Ace 9100 crank three times
without saying what broke..3 TIMES?

Maybe Record/Chorus? If you don't want a power measuring cranks? You want aluminum?
Old 01-23-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Can't start this thread with
without saying what broke..3 TIMES?
https://instagram.com/thanksshimano?...dium=copy_link
Old 01-23-2022, 08:10 AM

Does the OP weigh a lot more than most riders? I'm sure that there are possibilities at the lower end with solid aluminum arms that might be more durable.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:15 AM

I know a big and strong rider who broke two DA cranks before switching to Ultegra, and that was before the current bonded design, which apparently is more prone to coming apart.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Dunno if these are the later crankarms, but if you like 170 and low gearing this seems like a good deal

I’m starting to think that Rotor is what I need! Unfortunately I ride a 175…

Old 01-23-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Does the OP weigh a lot more than most riders? I'm sure that there are possibilities at the lower end with solid aluminum arms that might be more durable.

Yes I am a large rider, 6’3” and 250lbs…

Old 01-23-2022, 03:40 PM

I have a 6600 series double crankset, 175 mm length, with 110 BCD, and a set of Praxis 36/52 LevaTime rings mounted that should do 10/11 sp, and BSA cups with barely 50 miles on them. This is a more reliable crank than the newer gen. Let me know if you want it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29537696-703F-4DC2-AAC0-37374373524C.jpg (112.0 KB, 62 views)