Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
All good stuff.

How about a flat bat setup for ekar and a cheaper version of it to expand the line? Seems like an easy way to grow it and it could serve both commuters and mtbers.

All for a retro silver line and rim brake option for retro builds.

Oh, and No more rs groups, that dilutes the value of my rs equipped bike
This seems like a good addition--IIRC, the last flat bar changers were the Centaur/Veloce from the classic 10 era...

On the silver sets--I think part of the switch was economic as well--the classic stuff took a lot of polishing to get the right look, then coated. Black seems an easier finish for them to do.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:11 AM

I guess I'm a little bit of an outlier. I'm not eager for anything electronic although I have considered it for my MTB, but that's due to arthritis in my right hand. That push with the thumb to downshift really gets my attention these days.

I do my own mechanical work and have three bikes with Shimano 11 than include a gravel bike, MTB, and a Lynskey. If Ekar had been available in 2017, the gravel bike would have it. It's just a better look, IMO. I bought the Lynskey and 8000 group because it was such a good deal. It turned out to be a great setup and I haven't adjusted anything since assembling in 2020.

I have one campy bike with post-2014 parts, the others are first generation 11. I keep UT bearings and associated parts in my toolbox. I could ride those groups for another 20+ years as long as parts remain available.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:59 AM

Make a seat post.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:10 AM

Nobody has suggested anything that moves this brand forward.

Maybe they're better off left as a memory.

When y'all suggest them to rest on their laurels, or drag up some old trends to resell as new, it's essentially resigning themselves to commodity status. Like it or not, innovating (or at least keeping up w/ the joneses) drives obsolescence, and obsolescence drives sales, even if it's only a perceived obsolescence.

How many bike sold in Campy's target market (I'm guessing $3k and above bikes) were sold because they legitimately wore out or had some critical failure to the point of unrepairability? I'm guessing 1%. When you go to the store, your next bike you're looking for is an upgrade, not a downgrade or sidestep.

Last edited by rice rocket; 01-22-2022 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:20 AM
Registered (ab)User

The only things I want Campy to do -- and these are purely for selfish reasons -- are A) ensure replacement parts for 11-speed mechanical gruppos are easily available in perpetuity, and B) ensure that authorized Campagnolo Pro Shops are successful and plentiful...preferably less than 20 miles from wherever I'm residing.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Nobody has suggested anything that moves this brand forward.

Maybe they're better off left as a memory.

When y'all suggest them to rest on their laurels, or drag up some old trends to resell as new, it's essentially resigning themselves to commodity status. Like it or not, innovating (or at least keeping up w/ the joneses) drives obsolescence, and obsolescence drives sales, even if it's only a perceived obsolescence.

How many bike sold in Campy's target market (I'm guessing $3k and above bikes) were sold because they legitimately wore out or had some critical failure to the point of unrepairability? I'm guessing 1%. When you go to the store, your next bike you're looking for is an upgrade, not a downgrade or sidestep.

That’s the beauty of the brand, IMO. Rolex makes a good watch, but don’t get excited waiting for their next big thing. Slow continual refinement that doesn’t follow the trends is a big part of the appeal.

Knowing you have something that will still work twenty or fifty years later is invaluable.

That being said I hope they fired the sumbitch that suggested plastic front derailleur cage connectors on 11sp group record and super record in the 2000’s.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:04 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I have a custom frame coming that will likely be the last bike I buy
Many of us have tried this, and many have failed.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:09 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
PS, yup, I'm an admitted and long time Campagnolo and 'G____ fan boy...
Same.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:40 AM

oh... how about selling the classic yellow cap with Campagnolo printed on BOTH sides on the visor and charge max $20 a pop. And if you're gonna sell branded kit, hire a designer with some style and panache cuz your kit designs suck.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:03 PM

Even more compact crank i.e. 46/30 rings on UT crank would be great option to have
Old 01-22-2022, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Bianchi View Post
oh... how about selling the classic yellow cap with Campagnolo printed on BOTH sides on the visor and charge max $20 a pop. And if you're gonna sell branded kit, hire a designer with some style and panache cuz your kit designs suck.
Have you seen some of the new ekar kit? i just got the jersey and it's really nice.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Have you seen some of the new ekar kit? i just got the jersey and it's really nice.

Yep and I stand by my statement. That said, I have a Chaise CC tribal kit so my style may differ from most.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:41 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
Many of us have tried this, and many have failed.
I get that but also know that I'm an outlier here -- in more than 40 years of riding I've bought exactly 4 road bikes, and the only reason I own 2 right now is because I'm sentimentally attached to my first one.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:42 PM

12 speed and 13 speed would be a lot more attractive if Campy offered more variety in their cassettes.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:49 PM
Vendor

Campagnolo should just keep doing what they have been doing/or striving to do for the last nearly 100 years - making the best road racing componentry available.

What would I personally like to see?

I'd like to see more clear 'tiers' in the wheels/but maybe less variety all tubeless compatible. 2 price points, same concept, best they can make em - alu/carbon rim/disc. For example. I think they are kinda doing this.

A Carbon Bora. And an Aluminum Bora ( could be by another name)... like 40ish mm
A Carbon Shamal. An Aluminum Shamal. ... 35ish mm
A Carbon Zonda. An Aluminum Zonda. ...30ish mm
A Carbon Hyperon. An Aluminum Hyperon... 25ish mm

And then a few of your tubular, specific use wheels can be seperate for track, TT etc.

In components. Maybe the same. Disc and Rim. 4 Tiers maybe just 3. Make them the same - An "Ultra" Torque mechanical option. A Wireless option. Divided by material - Carbon/Ti. Carbon/Alu. All Aluminum. more or less.

Obviously, there are holes in those, but the sensible solution.

With Disc/Rim, wireless/mechanical we don't need so much variety/tiers... just clear ones.

Maybe it's just Record (Elite). Chorus (Mid). Centaur (Entry).