Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropean View Post
https://trudenta.com/this-simple-tri...with-tinnitus/

Have you all ever tried this? It’s not permanent by any means but I cried the first time I tried it, silence for the first time in many years.

But the best solution is to get it out of your head.

I have lingering theories that diet might also be involved, but only personal experience, if I treat myself like garbage diet wise I start noticing it more.

Ok tired it and noticed immediate relief…for about 30 sec.

I do. Ot ice that I have a new routing where I watch YouTube videos before bed using noise cancelling headphones ( Sony) and I feel less tinnitus agitated after having the headphones on for 30 min or so.

Have tried chiropracty but not tried acupuncture but curious if that would offer any relief.

It’s such a constant part of my life I can’t imagine not having this constant ringing. Not sure what the decimal equivalent of it is, makes me want to get my ears checked again. Will need to do that anyways prior to hearing aids which I’m very close to purchasing.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:04 AM

I too have always had tinnitus since I was young & it doesn't bother me but...As to the wind noise of cycling

Yes I really notice that & am not surprised it could have an effect later on hearing

One thing I notice during cooler months wearing the thermal cap under helmet that covers ears really shows you just how quiet it can be & still have your hearing for traffic etc

Better than earbuds in that respect (which I would never use)

They also make those headbands that cover ears but leave top open for hotter months

Something like these (but these are both thermal lined types)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116944-1.jpg (28.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 116949-1.jpg (24.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 01-23-2022, 11:25 AM

I have tinnitus and have had for quite awhile. Hearing loss as well. Most the time the voices in my head block it out and it helps if I talk with them. Just kidding. I know it's not funny but I've learned to deal with it and try not to focus on it. Music helps, alcohol aggravates it. If my wife sees the earbuds she just waves if she has something to say. My sister wears hearing aids but she has a 60% hearing loss. Me, I'm still getting by but this year it might be time for a change. We'll see.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:14 PM

Have suffered from tinnitus for years. After a couple of years of my wife telling me my hearing was failing, finally got tested in Nov. Significant high frequency hearing loss. Have had my obscenely expensive hearing aids for almost two months. They do help. Tinnitus is not really much better, and I find the 'ultra-tinny' sound of my own voice VERY distracting when I speak. Hope it will get better over time. I do not wear the hearing aids when I ride.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamoots58 View Post
Have suffered from tinnitus for years. After a couple of years of my wife telling me my hearing was failing, finally got tested in Nov. Significant high frequency hearing loss. Have had my obscenely expensive hearing aids for almost two months. They do help. Tinnitus is not really much better, and I find the 'ultra-tinny' sound of my own voice VERY distracting when I speak. Hope it will get better over time. I do not wear the hearing aids when I ride.

Have a feeling I will be you very shortly. I do like the patch thru to your cell phone feature of the very expensive ones, do you utilize that?

So I’ve learned we all have tinnitus, some have hearing loss, and a few wear the ear muff things when we ride. The evolution of the aged paceliner is nearly complete:

Campy…check
Rim brakes….check
Mirror…check

Ear muff thingys…almost.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:59 PM

I’ll chime in here because I’ve already gone full in on the helmet modifications. I’ve noticed some age/lifestyle hearing loss but got worried when I started to notice it when using my stethoscope at work; that was a sobering moment.

I tried the clip-on plastic wind deflectors,
then the pre-made full ear covers, and have just gone and graduated (?) to some self made covers.

I get full coverage along with some deflection from
some vertically-placed helmet foam pieces at the leading edge of these; added bonus is no more sunburn on my ears…

I don’t use a helmet mirror… yet.