Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 01:55 PM

When I lived in Florida the Varia was just annoying. Way too many cars.

Now that I'm living in South Carolina the backroads have very little traffic. I tend to ride further in the lane, some of the roads are not in the best of shape. With the Varia it gives me a heads up and I can then move over and place myself in the lane or hold the lane until its safe for the car to pass. It alerts me even before I can hear them most of the time. I use the smaller Varia 315 mounted on the saddle rails with a mount from amazon and a Bontrager Flare RT rear light (90 lumens) lower on the seatpost.Way brighter than the puny light on the RLT510 (65 lumins).
Old 01-17-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
How? I didn't read anything on the Garmin site that make me think a car would think it was anything more than a taillight (if you buy the light equipped one), did I miss that part?
by physically taking up more of the lane

where I live now, I really (thankfully) don't deal with much traffic, and drivers here almost always give plenty of room when they pass.

Now, if i was still loving in Westchester County I am sure I would have one of these.

SPP

Last edited by SlowPokePete; 01-17-2022 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
by physically taking up more of the lane

where I live now, I really (thankfully) don't deal with much traffic, and drivers here almost always give plenty of room when they pass.

Now, if i was still loving in Westchester County I am sure I would have one of these.

SPP
Agree with your thinking Pete that the advantage of the Varia is that added spacial awareness. Having enough warning allows you to make your presence know by drifting slightly away from the shoulder. This is how I use the Varia to my advantage.

I'd make the argument that you need a Varia for the opposite of what you are saying. If you are riding in Westchester your Varia would be reminding you constantly that there are cars behind you but you knew this already because Westchester. The Varia really shines on quite roads. Instead of being lulled into a false sense of security that you are the only one on the road that alert from your Varia brings you back to reality.

I love mine and wouldn't want to ride without it.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:33 PM

Does this work with a Wahoo Elemnt?
And, are these notifications coming in a way such that old folks like me can't read them without having reading glasses on? I get texts on my Elemnt but can't read them until I stop and get glasses out (this is likely a good feature!).
Old 01-17-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
... but can't read them until I stop and get glasses out
in the same boat lol

SPP
Old 01-17-2022, 03:39 PM

I was a skeptic but all my road riding buddies were buying them and raving about the Varia. I bought one thinking I could sell it if I did not like it. I really like it. Like really like it. How does it change your riding? Well, it gives you peace of mind and actionable information albeit small actions but actions none the less. Or it makes riding safer and more enjoyable.

Vaira alerts you when a car is approaching from behind. No more thinking there is a car behind you or not knowing exactly how close the car or how many cars are behind is because Varia can show all this information very accurately (IMO) on your computer. It is really nice to know you are not going to be surprised by a car behind you. That gives me peace of mind. The actionable information means you can see a car approaching from viewing your computer. You know how close it is. With this information you can choose to get a little closer to the side of the road to let them pass or put your safe in a safer situation than present.

I would highly recommend getting one. I think I would file it under marginal gains but I definitely think it is worth it and helps makes your riding safer and more enjoyable.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:42 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
And, are these notifications coming in a way such that old folks like me can't read them without having reading glasses on? I get texts on my Elemnt but can't read them until I stop and get glasses out (this is likely a good feature!).
Yes, works well with Wahoo (I have a Bolt but assume visibility even better on larger ELEMNT).

The notifications are auditory -- one beep when a car first appears, triple beep when a car is closing fast, and different tone when the last car passes and the rear is clear. The visual presentation of cars behind you is a vertical strip along the left hand side of the display, with little car icons for each one behind you. As long as your vision is good enough to distinguish between the vacant strip and one with little bugs on it, you should be ok.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
The information really isn't in a notification style. Instead, a series of dots representing cars moves up along the side of your computer screen indicating cars approaching you. When the dots get to the top of the screen they are about to pass you. Its very easy to see and understand. You can use sound too to represent cars but I found that annoying.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:55 PM

Thanks gents.

Preference for the one with a light? It seems as though it's not very bright (OK, neither am I) and my sense is to pair the one without a light with a really bright taillight vs. relying on the fact that it flashes as a signal to cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Yes, works well with Wahoo (I have a Bolt but assume visibility even better on larger ELEMNT).

The notifications are auditory -- one beep when a car first appears, triple beep when a car is closing fast, and different tone when the last car passes and the rear is clear. The visual presentation of cars behind you is a vertical strip along the left hand side of the display, with little car icons for each one behind you. As long as your vision is good enough to distinguish between the vacant strip and one with little bugs on it, you should be ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
The information really isn't in a notification style. Instead, a series of dots representing cars moves up along the side of your computer screen indicating cars approaching you. When the dots get to the top of the screen they are about to pass you. Its very easy to see and understand. You can use sound too to represent cars but I found that annoying.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:10 PM

I have the one with the light. It is plenty bright. Today is full sun, severe clear in SA and the light shows up very well. I've even had drivers at traffic lights like tell me it's bright.

I also don't want multiple devices hanging off my bike.

I've noticed that cars tend to give me a wider pass too. I assume it's because they have identified me earlier and are prepared vs seeing me at the last moment.

I've bought the match headlight but I've not tried it yet. I need to get my mounts figured out. It's supposed to adapt to conditions and speed. IE the faster you go the further ahead it shines.

Lastly, I have the controls for the rear light linked into the satellite buttons on the DA shifters. Click the right button for on/off, left button for mode. Can of corn.

Last edited by Hellgate; 01-17-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:21 PM
Deconditioned!

I've heard about these and seen them on the road. Until now, I haven't really been interested...however, I may give one a try. REI has no issues with my returns.

I think, for me, the benefit will be a bit more "noticeable" riding. I'd look to ride more in the center of the road (when clear). Then, I can ease over as a car is coming. This is as opposed to staying in the gutter with the debris in these winter months. The benefit being that I won't keep turning my head. I will not wear a mirror. I'm not stylish...but I have my limits.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:28 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I use it on shoulder-less rural road AND bike lanes on busy roads. I nearly never ride the latter by personal choice.

I have a mini inside glasses lens mirror, and Varia is an alarm to look in it at what might about to be upon me.

Do what you like with that info. I don't preach to others what they should do, just what they could do.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:35 PM

I like the notifications when riding solo and I do not hear the car.

I dislike the few times it notifies me because another rider is approaching fast from behind. I'm getting older.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:55 PM

I was a skeptic about the Varia as well but I used my REI dividend to purchase after reading many positive reviews.

As someone who has tried to use mirrors of all sorts in the past, this is a better replacement. I could never get mirrors to work well for me (usually vibration). It gives me an awareness of the traffic behind me, up to 4 vehicles. I find it very accurate.

Like others, I also sue it in conjunction with a Bontrager RT light. While it may seem expensive, I think it’s relatively cheap safety insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2022, 05:18 PM

What's the most cost effective way for a luddite (no cyclometer, GPS, smart phone, etc) to implement a Varia? I'm serious.