Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2022, 09:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
Oh, I will… I’m just thinking of things to do. I know Dad just went with whatever suggestion Grant had, which is fine, but I also know Grant and I think a bit different on some things… I had a Bleriot back not long after I started seriously riding and I would certainly do some things a bit different that the way that bike was built up.
I tried flat bars on my Moots, once upon a time. Actually 'Arc' bars, and single speed and egads, they wrecked my wrists..only one place to put yer hands so...
Old 01-10-2022, 09:37 AM

I have one of the long chain stay Homers that you are describing - setup with drop bars, friction 2x9 drivetrain. It took me a bit to get used to, as it has different handling characteristics than my road/cross bikes.

It makes sense to try it out in it's current setup first as you might like it more in a vintage MTB style setup. I've certainly considered it - but decided to upgrade to paul racers and campy road group (with the Riv 24/38 crankset).

The one thing is you might want to consider a lower than 1:1 gear for this bike, as I find I ride it on mixed terrain and the wide tires make it fun on gravel and dirt.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:09 AM

Ergon GP-1 grips help a lot with flat bars. Since we're an antique group, almost all of my MTB buds have them. For me, makes the difference between doing three hour rides in comfort or not.

Gotta say that the Nitto Albatross bars are a good set-up for an upright-ish riding position. They accept Dura Ace barcons, and your can get into a more aero position by grabbing the front portion of the bars. I have a set on the Big Dummy, and another in the parts drawer, in case I decide to convert the Litespeed Unicoi back from drop bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I tried flat bars on my Moots, once upon a time. Actually 'Arc' bars, and single speed and egads, they wrecked my wrists..only one place to put yer hands so...
Old 01-10-2022, 12:04 PM

I'm a builder that has made frames for sweptback bars as well as for drop bars. They require a different geometry!! If Grant did it right (and I am assuming he did - I'm too lazy to look it up) you will not like the ride after you converted it! M shaped handlebars require a longer top tube (because your hands are coming back from the stem instead of going beyond it) and a shallower seat angle because you are now sitting more upright.

The kind of riding upright handlebars provides is enjoyable. You will discover you ride slower and you look around more. That kind of riding has its own pleasures. They are great for trail riding. You will not enjoy the kind of riding you will try to do after you have messed up your dad's bike! Because your seat and handlebars will not be in the right place. Of course if I see the spec sheet my opinion might change.

The upright handlebar bikes I made for my wife and I have 71º parallel angles and 58 cm top tube lengths. Dutch bikes use even shallower angles.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:31 PM
Back At It!

Hi Doug,

Thanks and I certainly take your experience in high regard.

I’ll have to check the angles, but think they are around 72ish from what I remember reading. This frame will be from around 2009, and I know the current Hilsens are sized a bit different.

I do know the Riv site seems to promote this bike for either upright or drop bars, at least they have pictures of both builds on their site.

I will ride it as is for a bit and see what I think… I think this was Grant’s first venture into the “Country Bike” realm, or as it would be called now… gravel bikes… in the Riv way, of course.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:58 PM
Back At It!

So, hopefully this upload works (working from my phone), also found the angles on the original geo chart (700 wheels) to be 72 and 72. Not sure if the intro of 650b wheels changed that. I imagine those frames copied the Saluki since it replaced that bike as I understand it.

Anyway, here is the pic of the bike waiting to get boxed up:
Old 01-23-2022, 03:47 PM
Back At It!

So I got the bike and got it put together for riding (minus fenders, orig seat, and rack/bag for now). Certainly different than riding a drop bar bike, we'll see how it goes for a bit... I also have a Brooks B17 I might put on at some point as the C15 might be a bit narrow for an upright bike...

[IMG]Untitled by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/143735195@N06/][/IMG]

Last edited by fourflys; 01-23-2022 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:05 PM

If you are posting pix I can't see them.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:16 PM

+1
Old 01-23-2022, 07:45 PM
Back At It!

I have the toughest time with Google photos... can you all see it now?
Old 01-23-2022, 07:47 PM

What a cool bike from what had to be a cool dude. I wouldn’t touch a thing and save that bad boy for fun short days.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:15 PM

That bike is entirely in the spirit of a Homer - the Riv take on a road bike.
Comfortable road riding. Love it.

As I mentioned earlier, I am working on a build with a similar goal. (Pics soon).
If this were my bike, I wouldn't change a thing.

But, I fully appreciate what you are trying to do with your refresh.
Bike are meant to be ridden. I think the handlebars are an easy first target. Save the old ones for wall art.
Good luck on your build.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I have the toughest time with Google photos... can you all see it now?
YES! Nice bike!
Old 01-23-2022, 08:51 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
That bike is entirely in the spirit of a Homer - the Riv take on a road bike.
Comfortable road riding. Love it.

As I mentioned earlier, I am working on a build with a similar goal. (Pics soon).
If this were my bike, I wouldn't change a thing.

But, I fully appreciate what you are trying to do with your refresh.
Bike are meant to be ridden. I think the handlebars are an easy first target. Save the old ones for wall art.
Good luck on your build.
Thanks, I'll ride it as is for a bit (probably out the rear rack back on it and I have a set of Rene Herse tires on the way). I already have a set of Nitto bars if I want to try them out at some point, I can always just put the old bars back.

I did go ahead and put my brown B17 on instead of the C15 pictured... at least with these bars.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I'll ride it as is for a bit (probably out the rear rack back on it and I have a set of Rene Herse tires on the way). I already have a set of Nitto bars if I want to try them out at some point, I can always just put the old bars back.

I did go ahead and put my brown B17 on instead of the C15 pictured... at least with these bars.
A nice roomy saddle bag attached with straps through the loops on the Brooks would add to the bike's utility too.