Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2021, 02:17 PM

Carbon sloping vs titanium non sloping comfort

Hi Fellow bikers,

This question is probably been asked before but.. And I know a luxury problem ;-)

I own a Carbon Canyon, with a seat tube of 49cm and 22cm of carbon seat post exposed, really comfy. Also because of the super thin seat stays.

But I would love to get a Ti frame (love the material, the welds..) so I found No22 Great Divide Disc. This bike has a 54cm seatpost and 17cm Ti seat post exposed. So I assume less comfy as the post will flex less.

I worry the beautiful No22 will feel less comfy. I cannot test it before buying it ;-)

What do you think? Any experience with this? Does all the comfort comes from the tyres?
And what kind of tyre width did you get in the Great Divide Disc?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2021, 02:33 PM

Two things: (1) the seatpost on your Canyon attaches well below the top of the seat-tube, so you are getting even more flex out of it than you would if the binder was up at the very top; and (2) Canyon designs nice flexy carbon seatposts, so you are getting that benefit too..

With a Great Divide though, you may have fatter tires, which will add to comfort, and you could always do a flexy post - the Canyon VCLS-25 (if you can find one), or a Roval Terra, for example - to help further.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:33 PM

Don't think your assumption is accurate at all. If you are buying from 1st time purchaser, what type of rider is he/she, ask if the bike was made with crit or long distance in mind.

Remember wheels and tires make a massive difference.

Bet this 22 will be more comfy, hey it it is a decent price, resale should be easy.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:42 PM

On a paved road, wheels/tires are the really appreciable difference. The frame geometry is more of an added factor on gravel and rough roads.

In terms of frame flex, I think overall wheelbase, particularly the length of the chain stays will make a greater difference than the seat stays. The 22 should have longer stays to accommodate the larger tires. So overall I would assume the 22 will be more comfortable.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Two things: (1) the seatpost on your Canyon attaches well below the top of the seat-tube, so you are getting even more flex out of it than you would if the binder was up at the very top; and (2) Canyon designs nice flexy carbon seatposts, so you are getting that benefit too..
Sorry, had to be clear, It's a deda standard light seat post, so not the flex post from Canyon.

Thanks already for the help!
Old 10-13-2021, 04:07 PM

There are so many variables that will affect your comfort -- FITFITFIT, tire clearance/volume, to name the most important (did I mention FIT?) -- that it's impossible to answer your question on the basis of the information you provided.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:55 PM

I wonder how much weight is a factor here. My two dedicated road bikes are a carbon compact frame and a very traditional ti frame (with AL seatpost). On nearly identical tire profiles, I don't believe I can tell the difference at 150#.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:14 AM

I ride steel bikes, all with horizontal top tubes, so my experience might not apply directly. My bikes are all comfy, some for longer distances than others. My longest ride comfy bikes are my Griffon and my Eisentraut. The former sports 27mm FMB tubulars, the latter 32mm Gravel Kings. My other bikes mostly have narrower tires and are thus ridden with higher tire pressures. I think a major issue you need to be concerned with is tire width. No matter how much suspension effect you get from the rest of the package, I think tires will always be the largest single suspension component (talking road bikes here).
Old 10-14-2021, 06:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
There are so many variables that will affect your comfort -- FITFITFIT, tire clearance/volume, to name the most important (did I mention FIT?) -- that it's impossible to answer your question on the basis of the information you provided.
Yup, being 100% subjective. ONLY way to know is to ride each and tell us.

Time for this story(again)..way back when, in a Morgul-Bismark..we sponsored a men's race team. 2 riders received IDENTICAL Serotta ti bikes(this in about 1995/6). same down to the tires..
First guy rode it-
"GREAT frame, comfy, supple, ride all day comfort"
Other rode his,
"harsh, snappy, stiff..great crit bike but not comfy for all day rides"

so.....
Old 10-14-2021, 07:24 AM

Wink

Dario Pegoretti: “a bicycle is not a sofa”.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
Dario Pegoretti: “a bicycle is not a sofa”.
... unless it is.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:04 AM

Were they also same size frames and same size/ built riders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, being 100% subjective. ONLY way to know is to ride each and tell us.

Time for this story(again)..way back when, in a Morgul-Bismark..we sponsored a men's race team. 2 riders received IDENTICAL Serotta ti bikes(this in about 1995/6). same down to the tires..
First guy rode it-
"GREAT frame, comfy, supple, ride all day comfort"
Other rode his,
"harsh, snappy, stiff..great crit bike but not comfy for all day rides"

so.....
Old 10-14-2021, 08:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
... unless it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c25d379e39008f2b2a9cb1a9a0cba441.jpg (11.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg imagmmmmm.jpg (4.8 KB, 143 views)
Old 10-14-2021, 09:39 AM

Thanks for your replies ;-)

Bikes would of course be ridden with the same tyres and wheels.
I'm glad the feedback gives and idea that harsh or comfy is indeed subjective.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:09 AM

Ti frames can be built to be harsh. And carbon frame can be built to be compliant. I have however, never ridden any carbon bike that was more compliant than any of the Ti bikes that I owned.

I owned a No22 Great Divide Disc, And now own a No22 Aurora Disc. Both rode a bit stiffer than the skinny tubed Ti bikes of yester years. But they both rode very comfortable possessing that ineffable ride quality Ti is famous for.

In my eyes, if choosing a comfortable ride, I would always choose Ti especially if both bikes can take the same tire width.