Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2022, 05:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydraper View Post
There are two adjustments you can make to fix this. First, there is a tiny hole under the hood on the outside of the shifter. It takes a 2mm (I think) Allen. Turn it clockwise in 1/4-1/2 turn increments. This is NOT in the instructions or any manual I've seen. The campy rep told me about it. He said some shifters went out with an improper setting here.

Before you do this, make sure the inner shift lever isn't getting caught on the brake lever. There is another small hole behind the lever that you need to turn clockwise to bring it in. This is described in the instructions/manual that comes with the shifters.

Doing these fixed my issue.
It's a 1mm allen and all that does is move the shift lever blade left/right. Moving it too far to the left(inboard) and it may not engage the shift disc teeth to make the shift.

I suspect the thumb button is getting fouled on the hood or bar tape. If it doesn't rotate fully up after being engaged, it won't move. If the shift lever blade isn't all the way centered, that can cause it as well. Hood fouling it.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-06-2022 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:10 AM

What about an upshift paddle that occasionally gets stuck behind the brake lever blade? My brake lever blade is set for smaller hands (really not all that far) but I am hoping that is not the reason why the downshift paddle occasionally gets stuck.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinholbrook View Post
What about an upshift paddle that occasionally gets stuck behind the brake lever blade? My brake lever blade is set for smaller hands (really not all that far) but I am hoping that is not the reason why the downshift paddle occasionally gets stuck.
This sometimes happens to me also, and my levers are still in the factory setting position.

Instagram
Old 01-06-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
It's a 1mm allen and all that does is move the shift lever blade left/right. Moving it too far to the left(inboard) and it may not engage the shift disc teeth to make the shift.

I suspect the thumb button is getting fouled on the hood or bar tape. If it doesn't rotate fully up after being engaged, it won't move. If the shift lever blade isn't all the way centered, that can cause it as well. Hood fouling it.
Well, taking the good advice here, I cleaned and lubed the shifter bits and repositioned the hood so that the nubs are firmly in their retaining spots. It shifts nicely in the stand, but I'll have to see if it the thumb shifter sticks during actual riding. It would be wonderful if this really fixes the issue.

Instagram
Old 01-06-2022, 03:44 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
If the shift lever blade isn't all the way centered, that can cause it as well. Hood fouling it.
I’ve experienced this same issue with my Chorus 12 shifters, occasionally when set up for “normal” hands but much more frequently when set to “small hands,” so I gave up on the latter. I’d appreciate any recommendations to address this.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinholbrook View Post
I adjusted the reach of my levers and the shift paddle started getting hung up. Turns out there is also a separate reach adjustment forn the shift paddle, it is in the manual but its a few pages after the lever adjustment instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211225-104326_Drive.jpg (41.8 KB, 349 views)
Old 01-07-2022, 01:24 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWB475 View Post
I adjusted the reach of my levers and the shift paddle started getting hung up. Turns out there is also a separate reach adjustment forn the shift paddle, it is in the manual but its a few pages after the lever adjustment instructions.
As far as I can tell from perusing the user manual, there is no equivalent adjustment possible for Chorus 12 ergos. If I'm wrong can you please point me to the relevant documentation (or just describe the adjustment)? Thanks
Old 01-23-2022, 04:23 PM

The 'Un-Official' Campagnolo Ekar thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Well, taking the good advice here, I cleaned and lubed the shifter bits and repositioned the hood so that the nubs are firmly in their retaining spots. It shifts nicely in the stand, but I'll have to see if it the thumb shifter sticks during actual riding. It would be wonderful if this really fixes the issue.
Well, my thumb shifter is still getting stuck.
In fact, it gets stuck with almost every thumb shift attempt now (what a frustrating shake down ride it was), even in the stand with the hood pulled back from the thumb shift path. It looks like the up-shift lever isn't returning all the way after the up-shift (I did adjust so that the up-shift lever does not overlap the brake lever, but that's not it), and so the ratchet ring is getting caught. Taking a closer look, there seems to be a decent amount of play in the ratchet ring assembly which causes the engagement to be slightly askew, and back-throwing the up-shift lever a bit will free the bad engagement. Is there a way to tighten down that stack springs and ratchets? I'm not fluent enough in Campagnolo to know how this lever assembly comes apart (diagram?).

Or is there a bike shop near (metro-west) Boston that is fluent in Campagnolo?

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 01-23-2022 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:47 PM
Vendor

Quote:
In fact, it gets stuck with almost every thumb shift attempt now (what a frustrating shake down ride it was), even in the stand with the hood pulled back from the thumb shift path. It looks like the up-shift lever isn't returning all the way after the up-shift (I did adjust so that the up-shift lever does not overlap the brake lever, but that's not it), and so the ratchet ring is getting caught. Taking a closer look, there seems to be a decent amount of play in the ratchet ring assembly which causes the engagement to be slightly askew, and back-throwing the up-shift lever a bit will free the bad engagement. Is there a way to tighten down that stack springs and ratchets? I'm not fluent enough in Campagnolo to know how this lever assembly comes apart (diagram?).

Mike Cahill @Apex Velo. He's in Newton

https://www.apexvelo.com/service
Old 01-23-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Mike Cahill @Apex Velo. He's in Newton

https://www.apexvelo.com/service

Thank you

Instagram
Old 01-24-2022, 06:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

[
I think that perhaps the thumb button 'pivot' isn't pivoting, getting out of the way of the notched portion of the shift disc..means it won't shift.

BUT, send it to me, I can fix it, I have all the ERGO innards from levers from 90s thru teens..8s, 9s, 10s, 11s..
Old 01-24-2022, 07:50 AM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Taking a closer look, there seems to be a decent amount of play in the ratchet ring assembly which causes the engagement to be slightly askew, and back-throwing the up-shift lever a bit will free the bad engagement. Is there a way to tighten down that stack springs and ratchets? I'm not fluent enough in Campagnolo to know how this lever assembly comes apart (diagram?).
There is a small allen on each end of the shift assembly. The one on the outside can be accessed by removing the brake lever; to get to the one on the inside you have to remove the Ergo lever from the handlebars.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:02 PM

Do any of you knowledgeable folk know if the Ekar 140 disc caliper is the same as the 140 caliper(s) found on Record/SR/Chorus road groups?
Old 01-25-2022, 06:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Do any of you knowledgeable folk know if the Ekar 140 disc caliper is the same as the 140 caliper(s) found on Record/SR/Chorus road groups?
Probably but ask Velocipede..
Old 01-25-2022, 08:38 AM

Road calipers (https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Com...gnolo_rotor_03) are lighter than Ekar ones (https://www.campagnolo.com/CA/en/Components/ekar_rotor).

AC

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk