Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2022, 12:06 PM

My experience:

Does a mixed Shimano/Campagnolo 11spd drivetrain shift across the cassette? Yes it does.

Does it work as smoothly as a matched system? No it does not.

Is it good enough for most people? Usually yes.

A friend of mine used Shimano 9spd cassettes on a Campagnolo 9spd system. Even though most people would say this doesn't work, he was satisfied with the performance. 11spd cassette spacing is more closely matched between Shimano and Campagnolo than it is for 9spd, but it is not identical. Whether it is close enough is a matter of personal opinion and expectation.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:48 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
My experience:

Does a mixed Shimano/Campagnolo 11spd drivetrain shift across the cassette? Yes it does.

A friend of mine used Shimano 9spd cassettes on a Campagnolo 9spd system. Even though most people would say this doesn't work, he was satisfied with the performance. 11spd cassette spacing is more closely matched between Shimano and Campagnolo than it is for 9spd, but it is not identical. Whether it is close enough is a matter of personal opinion and expectation.

I had a few years of swapping 11s stuff around. I can’t say it did anything other than work. No weird sounds like it was between gears. Sounded/felt smooth to me.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:55 PM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Should be fine. Assuming both are 11 speed, should be plug and play.

I used to move wheels back and forth between my eTap 11s bike and my SR11 bike. I had carbon and alloy wheels and liked using different wheels on different depending on whatever ride I was doing.
Thank you sir!
Old 01-22-2022, 07:56 PM

Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Bianchi View Post
I am a dyed in the wood campy guy (in Toronto) and have the word mark tattoo to prove it. And even I used Shimano cassettes on my cross bike and my trainer. Integration is seamless and replacement parts are much cheaper than campy.
Thanks, fellow Canuck!
Old 01-22-2022, 08:30 PM

I've been running hybrid drivetrains on my Campy 11 setup for years. The last 5 years or so, its been with either a Rotor or Praxis crankset, KMC X11SL DLC chains and SunRace cassettes. Once dialed in, smooth shifting throughout the gear range.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
My experience:

And as has been mentioned, Campagnolo 10s spacing is closer to shimano 9s spacing, ctr to ctr cog, than shimano 9s spacing and Campagnolo 9s spacing.

I had a gent once come in with Campagnolo ERGO and an XTR rear der..wanted a longer cage-XTR..8s..he 'said' it worked fine..where it actually didn't really work at all.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperColnago View Post
Any sources of new Record or Chorus 11sp gruppos and wear items still out there? Any links appreciated….
Merlin Cycles in UK is my go to place for consumables and they still stock plenty of 11 speed stuff. Fast shipping, great prices and very dependable. Great place for Veloflex and Vitt tubulars too.

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/c...and=campagnolo
Old 01-23-2022, 11:46 AM

FWIW I suddenly needed an 11spd Chorus front mech (converting 1x to 2x for my cx bike) and found one on eBay for a reasonable price overnight. Just had to wait 15 hours for the auction to run it's course and I won.

Ebay is still a great source for finding parts.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:55 AM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
And as has been mentioned, Campagnolo 10s spacing is closer to shimano 9s spacing, ctr to ctr cog, than shimano 9s spacing and Campagnolo 9s spacing.

I had a gent once come in with Campagnolo ERGO and an XTR rear der..wanted a longer cage-XTR..8s..he 'said' it worked fine..where it actually didn't really work at all.
Yes. I get all this. And, you were responding to another comment...so this is more a general response...not aimed at you, Potatoe. I know you know your stuff (your rebuilt 10s shifters for me over a decade ago). And, not trying to be argumentative....however, it is very well known that the 11s plays well together. It's not like the 10s stuff where it did NOT work well together. And, I have no idea about 12s stuff.

From extensive personal experience over a handful of years, 11s stuff swapped well. Idk about measurements or anything else like that. It just worked. Plan and simple without much, if any real perceived degradation of shift performance.

In this case, the OP specifically asked about 11s. Not 10, 9, 8.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:54 PM

I've got a complete record 11 group NIB if anyone is in need. All or nothing though.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 01-24-2022, 06:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Yes. I get all this. And, you were responding to another comment...so this is more a general response...not aimed at you, Potatoe. I know you know your stuff (your rebuilt 10s shifters for me over a decade ago). And, not trying to be argumentative....however, it is very well known that the 11s plays well together. It's not like the 10s stuff where it did NOT work well together. And, I have no idea about 12s stuff.

From extensive personal experience over a handful of years, 11s stuff swapped well. Idk about measurements or anything else like that. It just worked. Plan and simple without much, if any real perceived degradation of shift performance.

In this case, the OP specifically asked about 11s. Not 10, 9, 8.
All true and I was referring to Mark M's post..about 9s..discussion group, I was discussing...

Mark M
Quote:
A friend of mine used Shimano 9spd cassettes on a Campagnolo 9spd system. Even though most people would say this doesn't work, he was satisfied with the performance.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:33 AM

Taking another left turn...

I've had the idea of putting together an Athena Triple 11--there are a few parts floating around--but I have not run across cranksets at the usual suspects. Thinking black would be it...

Anyone see any around?

And if anyone is dying to have a NIB Centaur 11 medium *rear*--I have one--meant to be part of a set but the *front* never arrived, and in the interim the project went backwards to 10...

*Edited to reflect what actually happened, not what I remembered*

Last edited by paredown; 01-24-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Taking another left turn...

I've had the idea of putting together an Athena Triple 11--there are a few parts floating around--but I have not run across cranksets at the usual suspects. Thinking black would be it...

Anyone see any around?
https://www.lafobikes.com/collection...ankset-options
Old 01-24-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperColnago View Post
Thanks, fellow Canuck!
I lived in Ottawa for 11 years, fwiw. Now in Toronto and hate it. I miss the small town vibe and the ability to get out of civilization in 10 minutes.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:05 AM

Ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Bianchi View Post
I lived in Ottawa for 11 years, fwiw. Now in Toronto and hate it. I miss the small town vibe and the ability to get out of civilization in 10 minutes.
I sympathise re Toronto….I am 9km from Gatineau Parc, pretty lucky to have quick access to a nice training venue, which has become more bike friendly during Covid, with more car restriction than usual….
Stay upright dude!